Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Largest structure in the universe discovered

Waspie_Dwarf

UCLan team discover largest structure in the universe

The large quasar group is so large it would take a spacecraft travelling at the speed of light some 4 billion years to cross it.

An international team led by academics from the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan) has found the largest known structure in the universe. The large quasar group (LQG) is so large that it would take a spacecraft travelling at the speed of light some 4 billion years to cross it.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Yay... So now what?...

it would take a spacecraft travelling at the speed of light some 4 billion years to cross it.

================================================

Darn, need to be back by next Wednesday, do you have anything a touch closer to home?

• Like 1

Yay... So now what?...

faster spaceships I would imagine, they are working on it all the time....one day!

faster spaceships I would imagine, they are working on it all the time....one day!

Oh goody. More planets for humans to go destroy...

• Like 1

largest structure in the universe

some 4 billion years to cross it

Cool finding.

I feel a new sets of "Yo mama's so fat"-jokes coming on.

• Like 1

Is it the edge of the universe? :huh:

is there an edge to the Universe?

wait for iiiiiiitttttt....we have not finished destroying this one yet.

• Like 1

wait for iiiiiiitttttt....we have not finished destroying this one yet.

:lol: Gotta finish the first job before we move on to the next one, eh?

• Like 1

:lol: Gotta finish the first job before we move on to the next one, eh?

Reckon thats the plan, considering the billions being spent....don`t think we are on the transfer list though. :whistle:

• Like 1

Is somebody actually going to post something intelligent and/or on topic or are we going to be subjected to more pages of inane comments?

• Like 2

Is somebody actually going to post something intelligent and/or on topic or are we going to be subjected to more pages of inane comments?

Sorry, :blush: what more can we say that has not already been said.....its an amazing big massive structure which we little people have no possibility of ever visiting.

At this moment in time it is an object out there....fascinating yes, but thats not too surprising. Will it have an impact on our lives right now....i doubt it.

But you are right, my little mind just cant comprehend it, but its wonderful to see it.

• Like 2

I'm pretty much with freetoroam on this one. You can pretty much sum up the rest of the comments as "wow and cool" with the rest being satirical bull****...

• Like 1

EARTH FIRST!... we'll destroy the rest of the planets later.

sorry

• Like 1

I already preapologized for my previous inane comment.

But I thought the term 'structure' meant something that was purposely built, by a sentient being.

If this is a 'structure' then why isn't the Universe itself the largest structure?

• Like 1

we will be extinct before we can do that imo.

The distances and time involved, as quoted below, truly are staggering, mind boggling in fact

"It would take a spaceship travelling at the speed of light four thousand million years to get from one end of the cluster to the other.

To give a sense of scale, our galaxy (the Milky Way) is separated from its nearest neighbour, the Andromeda galaxy, by two and a half million light years.

“While it is difficult to fathom the scale of this LQG, we can say quite definitely it is the largest structure ever seen in the entire Universe,” Clowes said in a press statement issued by Britain’s Royal Astronomical Society (RAS).

if traveling at the speed of light will still take - 4 thousand million years...I guess thats a very clear signal that vast parts of 'whats out there' (incl possible life) will never be known...

space is just incredible really, ever since I was a kid - just trying to conceive something so massive, without end..in any direction... almost makes my brain fizzle... like a computer that just cant compute... simply amazing

• Like 1

I already preapologized for my previous inane comment.

But I thought the term 'structure' meant something that was purposely built, by a sentient being.

If this is a 'structure' then why isn't the Universe itself the largest structure?

that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself, but thought against putting as already had 1 slap on the wrist. :passifier:

• Like 1

that did cross my mind, surely the largest structure out there is the Universe itself, but thought against putting as already had 1 slap on the wrist. :passifier:

That cant be the biggest thing in the universe, I would think that there are way bigger things