Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Turkey Fires Back After Syria Shelling

questionmark

Turkey says it has struck targets inside Syria with artillery fire in retaliation for a mortar strike which killed a woman and her children in a Turkish town.

A statement from the Turkish Prime Minister's office said it was in response to a "mortar strike across the border".

Nato ambassadors are to meet later tonight after Turkey protested angrily to the organisation and to the United Nations

The mortar exploded in a residential area of the border town of Akcakale. It was fired from from Tall al Abyad just across the border in Syria.

Abdulhakim Ayhan, the mayor of Akcakale, said: "Five people, including a mother and her three children, were killed. We also have nine wounded."

Read more

Syria won't want to pick a fight with Turkey.

I doubt Assad will want to continue with any kind of tit for tat. It would be very unwise to drag Turkey into this any more than they arlready are.

Edited by Atlantia

It was probably rebels trying to incite foreign involvement or western agent provocateur's for the same reason. Highly doubt Syrian troops would shell Turkey. OK, not highly, totaly.

• Like 1

It was probably rebels trying to incite foreign involvement or western agent provocateur's for the same reason. Highly doubt Syrian troops would shell Turkey. OK, not highly, totaly.

Well why would Rebels hit their own kin? Syrian forces have hit Turkish towns recently and rebels don't have mortars not that im aware of. Also Syria did shoot down a Turkish Jet. but it could of been a rouge part of the Syrian army that has not control of

Syria won't want to pick a fight with Turkey.

I doubt Assad will want to continue with any kind of tit for tat. It would be very unwise to drag Turkey into this any more than they arlready are.

Let's see what reaction they will give, if they blame the rebels its an excuse to avoid war which would mean that Syria is weakened by the fighting with the rebels. Or say blame it on rouge Syrian army and sack whoever is in charge of that area. However they have not reacted quickly, if they said it was not them straightly after the shelling then we would have something different. But it seems the Syrian leaders are debating what to say and try and blame it on rebels in which they would probably say anyway. But the more longer the response in the delay, then in will be certain it was them.

This is why Turkey wanted a buffer zone in which sounds reasonable to protect her towns and community's.

I just hope we manage to keep our nose out of this. If Syria and Turkey throw down, so be it.

I have to say that it would make no sense for Assad to provoke Turkey. I'd be more inclined to think it was either the rebels trying to draw Turkey in or some trigger happy commander with a boner for Turkey. There are the rumors Turkey is sheltering rebels...true??? Turkey is one of the top military forces in the region. I just can't see the advantage for Syria...unless...it is a ploy to pull NATO in and them get them involved in some kind of peace keeping/no fly zone kind of thing...which even that would not be to Assad's advantage...or I don't think anyway.

Even if Iran is backing Syria and has a boner for Turkey because they have a somewhat decent peace agreement with Israel....I don't think Iran wants to take on Turkey either. Not when you consider they are on the verge of economic collapse...really hard to say.

I just hope we keep our distance. It's time to lick our wounds and heal up. Nearly 11 years of constant warfare...it's time to take a break.

Edited by Jeremiah65

Logic could only indicate that it is an attack designed to provoke foriegn involvment. Who would that benefit? Either the rebels or the foriegn power that takes nominal control of the area after the syrian government is eliminated. I call False Flag Event

• Like 1

I just hope we manage to keep our nose out of this. If Syria and Turkey throw down, so be it.

I have to say that it would make no sense for Assad to provoke Turkey. I'd be more inclined to think it was either the rebels trying to draw Turkey in or some trigger happy commander with a boner for Turkey. There are the rumors Turkey is sheltering rebels...true??? Turkey is one of the top military forces in the region. I just can't see the advantage for Syria...unless...it is a ploy to pull NATO in and them get them involved in some kind of peace keeping/no fly zone kind of thing...which even that would not be to Assad's advantage...or I don't think anyway.

Even if Iran is backing Syria and has a boner for Turkey because they have a somewhat decent peace agreement with Israel....I don't think Iran wants to take on Turkey either. Not when you consider they are on the verge of economic collapse...really hard to say.

I just hope we keep our distance. It's time to lick our wounds and heal up. Nearly 11 years of constant warfare...it's time to take a break.

Well Iran would blame you anyway saying it was CIA doing it or some stupid reason, i bet you they will blame you in someway.

Logic could only indicate that it is an attack designed to provoke foriegn involvment. Who would that benefit? Either the rebels or the foriegn power that takes nominal control of the area after the syrian government is eliminated. I call False Flag Event

I wouldn't say false flag, however cross boarder fire has happened in Lebanon and Jordan and Iraq. However they are much weaker than Turkey due to recent conflicts bar Jordan. If the mortars attacked an Israeli town, then i'm afraid Israel will attack Syria within minutes and Iran would come in and all that

With all the crap flying in these cities I think it could actually have just been a mistake. It happens. No benefit for Syria here so if it was deliberate it only makes sense to be the rebels. If it continues then Erdog will have a decision to make.

With all the crap flying in these cities I think it could actually have just been a mistake. It happens. No benefit for Syria here so if it was deliberate it only makes sense to be the rebels. If it continues then Erdog will have a decision to make.

Problem is though this has happened so many times, why would you repeat a mistake?

Problem is though this has happened so many times, why would you repeat a mistake?

I said it might be a mistake. If it is intentional as a way of bringing NATO in then it's bad news if it works. We do NOT need to be involved in that mess. No matter who wins the West loses.

again why you think that

Because it fits perfectly with USA and UK agenda. Why would Syria tease USA partner? Not just partner of USA but military stronger then Syria. And when you have civil war.

• Like 2

No sense at all. Its false flag attack in order to create global public opinion on Syria treating the world peace.

• Like 1

Because it fits perfectly with USA and UK agenda. Why would Syria tease USA partner? Not just partner of USA but military stronger then Syria. And when you have civil war.

I wouldn't blame USA for starting revloution which started in Tunisia with a man setting himself on fire.

No sense at all. Its false flag attack in order to create global public opinion on Syria treating the world peace.

Well you have Knight of Shadows who is Syrian and used to support the government but he has changed now. Anyway where is he?

I think we all agree on that the conflict will spread and what I think the civil war may continue for another 3 months

I think we all agree on that the conflict will spread and what I think the civil war may continue for another 3 months

I think it could go on for years, God forbid. The West cannot or will not act. Russia and Iran have vested interests to support and every foreign actor with eyes on power will come into the country for the indeterminate future. I must say from a strictly technical pov that the Syrian military - with help from the IRGC AND the Russians - has shown itself poorly against the insurgency. But I guess that's just the nature of fighting an insurgency.

Ok Russia want's Syria to say sorry but I think more than sorry needs to be said. Just now the Turkish Parliament accepts the plan of Turkish cross boarding which means Turkey can attack sites that are hostile, by using aircraft or other means. So this is not a false flag, as of now Turkey has bombed targets for a 2nd day

Well you have Knight of Shadows who is Syrian and used to support the government but he has changed now. Anyway where is he?

He had to leave home again due to the fighting.

Hoping he is alright.

• Like 2

Turks protesting against the turkey government

[media=]

[/media]

it's funny today i was watching some one interviewing companies in an Exhibition that took place in Riyadh

the interviewer stopped to talk with a Turkish man about his company products

the Turkish took the chance to explain how angry he is of the turkey government and what it doing to syria

and kept saying that he want peace with syria, and didn't say a word about the products

our relationship with turkey was blooming before Erdogan decided to ruin a great relationship between Neighboring countries

what kind of supposed "revolution" that bring all this hate and destruction !,

and basically he Reap what he sow, he made his country a base for the FSA arming them and supporting them blindly, he should consider him self lucky

that not more damage is being inflected on turkey yet, i mean we all saw what america did to Afghanistan, why should we be Patient on him ?

and by the way Syria didn't apologizes for what happened to the turkey government, we basically expecting an apology from them

an official however did say that we are sorry for the family of the dead people who lost in the attack, and that we are investigating it to know who did it

(probably the FSA)

Edited by the-Unexpected-Soul

Turks protesting against the turkey government

[media=]

[/media]

it's funny today i was watching some one interviewing companies in an Exhibition that took place in Riyadh

the interviewer stopped to talk with a Turkish man about his company products

the Turkish took the chance to explain how angry he is of the turkey government and what it doing to syria

and kept saying that he want peace with syria, and didn't say a word about the products

our relationship with turkey was blooming before Erdogan decided to ruin a great relationship between Neighboring countries

what kind of supposed "revolution" that bring all this hate and destruction !,

and basically he Reap what he sow, he made his country a base for the FSA arming them and supporting them blindly, he should consider him self lucky

that not more damage is being inflected on turkey yet, i mean we all saw what america did to Afghanistan, why should we be Patient on him ?

and by the way Syria didn't apologizes for what happened to the turkey government, we basically expecting an apology from them

an official however did say that we are sorry for the family of the dead people who lost in the attack, and that we are investigating it to know who did it

(probably the FSA)

Syrian forces would be beaten badly by a real army like Turkey's. If a war started from scratch between the two countries I'd say Syria's forces might hold their own but the army has been fighting a war for 18 months with many casualties and destroyed equipment. The Turks would bulldoze them today...