Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Meteor Explodes over Russia. dozens injured..

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#181    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,225 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

There are many of these meteorites that hit the Earth. That Russian one was really scary:(

http://science.disco...-meteorites.htm

#182    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,734 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

We're sitting in a cosmic shooting gallery.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#183    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 16 February 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

so it is hard to draw any conclusions from the angles of approach.
Wrong.
From the angle of approach you can deduce the orbit of the objects. As they approached from different directions they must have been in different orbits, If they are in different orbits they are not associated.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 16 February 2013 - 12:23 PM.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#184    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,046 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Well you may be right, but I think it is far more difficult than that.  I've seen some work with three-body problems and we had no idea this thing was coming until it was on us -- so the drawings showing it coming in from virtually a straight line have got to be nothing more than projections.  Further, I see the moon in position to complicate even more.

Nevertheless, I have no desire to support what seems to be the beginnings of a new conspiracy theory.  Please however ask question before you so bluntly contradict someone.

#185    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 15 February 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

It's not difficult to understand. This object was tiny and fast moving. Telescopes can not see all of the sky all of the time. It was just too small to be picked up.

Scientists are focusing their efforts on larger objects. Whist is is not great that 900 people were hurt there are objects up their that would wipe out a sizeable proportion of the human race. Fortunately these objects are larger and easier to see.

Nope.

Unlikely.
Their are a lot of amateurs with very impressive telescopes these days. It is also no secret how to calculate an orbit from observational data, we've known how to do that since Kepler and Newton in the 16th Century. The scientists simply could not hide an object.
I understand that it was small.
I was just wondering how they are constantly watching the skies and did not notice it even coming towards us. .....unless it was debris from the bigger meteorite?
i am just trying to get my head round the fact that it must have been heading this way for some time if it has nothing to do with the other meteorite.
if they can not detect a meteorite this size, does that mean they would not be able to detect a spaceship if it was around the same size too coming this way?
If the answer is no, then that means that we could have been visited, if the answer is yes, then that means we have not been.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#186    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,046 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

I have no doubt that what came in was just a rock, or maybe a pile of rubble.

#187    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 February 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

I understand that it was small.
I was just wondering how they are constantly watching the skies and did not notice it even coming towards us. .....unless it was debris from the bigger meteorite?
If you understand that it is small then your question shouldn't be necessary. What part of small things being difficult or impossible to see is it that you aren't getting?

i am just trying to get my head round the fact that it must have been heading this way for some time if it has nothing to do with the other meteorite.
Do you mean asteroid. An object is only a meteorite if it has actually hit the ground.

if they can not detect a meteorite this size, does that mean they would not be able to detect a spaceship if it was around the same size too coming this way?
Probably, but it would also depend on how far away it is, how quickly it's moving, how reflective it is, etc.

If the answer is no, then that means that we could have been visited, if the answer is yes, then that means we have not been.
Non sequitur.

We have no idea what technology an alien civilisation might have so we have no idea whether our technology could detect them regardless of the size of the craft.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#188    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 16 February 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

If you understand that it is small then your question shouldn't be necessary. What part of small things being difficult or impossible to see is it that you aren't getting?

no need to be rude. the point i was asking was could it have been a bit from the other ASTEROID? If it is that small to not to have noticed it, then they would not have necessarily noticed it breaking off somewhere out there????

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#189    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,528 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 16 February 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

no need to be rude. the point i was asking was could it have been a bit from the other ASTEROID? If it is that small to not to have noticed it, then they would not have necessarily noticed it breaking off somewhere out there????

It wasn't a part of DA14, the directions are all wrong, but it could well of broken off another asteroid at some point though. :)

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#190    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostSky Scanner, on 16 February 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

It wasn't a part of DA14, the directions are all wrong, but it could well of broken off another asteroid at some point though. :)
See, thats better. But I expect a reasonable answer from you.

Do they know about the other asteroid or is that nowhere near us to even think about?

Just shows that we can not be prepared for whatever may be heading towards us. The Russian one was too small to be spotted, but it did do a fair bit of damage. A few more of them and we could be in trouble and we could nothing about it because we do not see them coming.

#191    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

There seem to have been another meteor rain, and explosion,... over Cuba this time.

And over California.

To be continued I guess.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#192    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:56 PM

Here is a link to an article, including a video, about the meteorite in Cuba. The fall is described as occurring at 0100 GMT on Friday, a couple of hours before the Chelyabinsk meteorite. Other reports said the Cuban  meteorite fell on Wednesday. It's unclear if one date or the other is incorrect, or if  there could be reports about two different meteorites in Cuba, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday.                                                                                                                                                                                            link:     http://www.mirror.co...uba-two-1712957

#193    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,875 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

Now some Russian is saying this was a missile test from America lol

#194    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,677 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

View Postbison, on 16 February 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

Here is a link to an article, including a video, about the meteorite in Cuba. The fall is described as occurring at 0100 GMT on Friday, a couple of hours before the Chelyabinsk meteorite. Other reports said the Cuban  meteorite fell on Wednesday. It's unclear if one date or the other is incorrect, or if  there could be reports about two different meteorites in Cuba, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday. link: http://www.mirror.co...uba-two-1712957
maybe this is a bit of rock and the Russian one are from the same asteroid which is somewhere out there.

If bits come away from an asteroid way way out in space, then by the time they get pulled towards Earth, after a bit of floating around and considering the Earth rotates, then it does not mean they will land in the same place.   just asking??????????????

#195    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:18 PM

View Postcoolguy, on 16 February 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Now some Russian is saying this was a missile test from America lol

Imagine this had happened in a major city in the Soviet Union during the 70's of the past century... or on the border between present day Pakistan and India, or in North Korea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users