Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Israel - UFO or Missile?

• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#691    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,401 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Oh, and Badsekov,

I forgot to mention to you... the reason why I feel I have to go with "800 miles high" for the Topol M missile is because you told me that the Minuteman missile went that high and that "all ICBMs are about the same", (they are NOT) and if I continued to go with the stats I had posted for the Peacekeeper ICBM, you would raise strong objections.

It has to do with being "ON THE SAME PAGE", Badsekov - some common ground. So I caved in to your 800 mile altitude figure  to keep the conversation going and not hovering around that particular point ad infinitum.

I think it is safe to say now, that I - WE - are saddled with using 800 miles in altitude unless YOU change that

"If you want to apologize to Jews for WWII, give them some of your land, not some of ours"

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#692    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 01:30 AM, said:

Conversely, if you knew there was a fly there and someone could somehow increase it's luminosity (just for the sake of argument) until it could be seen at 100 miles then at a certain point you could 'see the fly'. Not literally of course, it would still be the light that you're seeing however I'm thinking that is just semantics. :tu:
Indeed, but it would require knowledge of the point source for such a determination.  You simply can't see a glint of light and immediately know what that glint represents in and of itself.

Hence my position that the entire question and line of argument being presented by Earl is total BS.  More obfuscation and avoidance of the core questions that are actually relevant.

#693    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 29 July 2012 - 01:34 AM, said:

Indeed, but it would require knowledge of the point source for such a determination.  You simply can't see a glint of light and immediately know what that glint represents in and of itself.

Hence my position that the entire question and line of argument being presented by Earl is total BS.  More obfuscation and avoidance of the core questions that are actually relevant.

Agreed. I just got caught up in the thought experiment of it. :D

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#694    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,401 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to know when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:39 AM

View PostJimOberg, on 29 July 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

If the fly is reflecting enough light, you could see it.

Another proof that luminosity and not angular size is the crucial characteristic.

On STS-75 the 20-km tether snapped and flew into a higher orbit, where it remained for several weeks, slowly decaying.

The tether was the thickness of a telephone cord -- in other words, as thick as the body of a fly.

Hundreds of amateur satellite observers, including me, saw the tether as it passed overhead while illuminated by the sun.

Naked eye SAW the object, 500 km away or  more, no thicker than a fly. And 20 km long.

Maybe your concept of what CAN and CANNOT be seen is based on a fundamental misunderstanding

How do you explain so many of us seeing that sunlit tether?

no "IFs"

I said the "fly in the sky"

you know how much sunlight reflects off the fly.

play your game.

there is a vanishing point for everything

see a fly from a 100 miles....  come on, Jim you CAN'T be serious.l
another stall tactic??

I posed some questions about the "spiraling missile". care to take a crack at them, which is where your strength lies, not "flies form 100 miles"

LOL

good lord.

as far as the sunlit tether is concerned, I know nothing about it. and I don't care to comment on it.

"If you want to apologize to Jews for WWII, give them some of your land, not some of ours"

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

"It is easier to fool somebody than it is to convince them they've been fooled"   ~Mark Twain~

#695    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 29 July 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

as far as the sunlit tether is concerned, I know nothing about it. and I don't care to comment on it.

Maybe you should look into it as it is very relevant to this discussion. :tu:

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#696    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 29 July 2012 - 01:39 AM, said:

there is a vanishing point for everything

Yes. And that "vanishing point" occurs when the luminosity of an object is no longer high enough for your eye's to detect. It's not about Angular size after ~1 arc minute.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#697    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:52 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 01:38 AM, said:

Agreed. I just got caught up in the thought experiment of it. :D
I tried...  but apparently I liked too many things today...
Posted Image

Took some effort to create that.  Anyone else want to use it?  Here is a direct link:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/booNyzarC/likequotashadow.png

#698    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:14 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

Maybe you should look into it as it is very relevant to this discussion. :tu:

maybe they should look at my fly question as relavent.

maybe they should tell the truth when they answer

I gave an example that everyone knows of, a FLY. we all know what that is. I know nothing of Jim's tether

btw, now that you stepped in it, if you can see a fly from 100 miles and a tether from 500 kms,
how could this special Topol M missile go from west Kazakhstan to East and show off its cool SPIRAL, but it we can't see it's main missile plume the whole way?

care to answer?

glad you got in?

what you don't know, slave2fate is they are trolling me.

first, a certain poster in here says my question is really retarded then later in another post, he answers the question!! -  saying you COULD see a fly from a 100 miles. but it was reatrded right?

meanwhile the truth is, you cannot see a fly in the sky from1/10th of a mile, and no, the question is not retarded, it has relevence.

your volley

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps, 29 July 2012 - 02:30 AM.

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

#699    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 29 July 2012 - 01:50 AM, said:

Yes. And that "vanishing point" occurs when the luminosity of an object is no longer high enough for your eye's to detect. It's not about Angular size after ~1 arc minute.

nice shaman.

can you expand on that and tell me, if you can see the SPIRAL the Topol missile makes, why can't you see the main plume of the missile all the way across the sky from west Kazakhstan to east?

is there a vanishing point problem there for the one but not the other?

I believe you know what I am driving at, in the end.

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

#700    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 29 July 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

I tried...  but apparently I liked too many things today...
Posted Image

Took some effort to create that.  Anyone else want to use it?  Here is a direct link:

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd460/booNyzarC/likequotashadow.png

I hadn't seen that before.  :lol:

Maybe it's a Russian lead conspiracy! If they lie about missile launches who knows what they're capable of! ( A joke Earl, not meant to offend :ph34r: )

#701    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:22 AM

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

I hadn't seen that before.  :lol:

Maybe it's a Russian lead conspiracy! If they lie about missile launches who knows what they're capable of! ( A joke Earl, not meant to offend :ph34r: )
w00t!!!  It let me like again!!!  Perhaps it literally tallies on a 24 hour basis?  I wonder how many Likes I have left now and for how long...  :unsure2:

#702    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,211 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:23 AM

Here this video shows a signaling mirror thats 3" X 5" filmed at differing distances. This demonstrates the point of luminousity being the determining factor in whether or not you can see it. Note at 43 miles the mirror has an Angular size many times smaller than the hypothetical B767 Earl has been thinking about.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#703    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 29 July 2012 - 02:14 AM, said:

btw, now that you stepped in it, if you can see a fly from 100 miles and a tether from 500 kms,
how could this special Topol M missile go from west Kazakhstan to East and show off its cool SPIRAL, but it we can't see it's main missile plume the whole way?

care to answer?

You understand of course that an object with a high enough altitude at night can be illuminated by the sun, so conversely an object without sufficient altitude would not be lit and as was covered just a bit ago, without light we can't see.

Edited by Slave2Fate, 29 July 2012 - 02:33 AM.

#704    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

Big C Survivor

• 2,401 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:34 AM

View Postlost_shaman, on 29 July 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

Here this video shows a signaling mirror thats 3" X 5" filmed at differing distances. This demonstrates the point of luminousity being the determining factor in whether or not you can see it. Note at 43 miles the mirror has an Angular size many times smaller than the hypothetical B767 Earl has been thinking about.

wonderful beginning, shaman, gonna keep going?

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

You understand of course that an object with a high enough altitude at night can be illuminated by the sun, so conversely an object without sufficient altitude would not be lit and as was covered just a bit ago, without light we can't see.

View PostSlave2Fate, on 29 July 2012 - 02:28 AM, said:

so in other words, you won't answer the question

the missile plume and the missile spiral are at the same altitude at the same time

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps, 29 July 2012 - 02:36 AM.

~ Mahmoud Ahmadinejad~

#705    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,414 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:36 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 29 July 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

wonderful beginning, shaman, gonna keep going?

You want to see a mirror flash at 1500 miles I presume? Unnecessary as LS's video shows proof of concept. You simply need to adjust scale to get further similar results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users