Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Horse meat could still be on sale in Britain

marek czerniej horse meat

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#16    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,976 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 07 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

was thinking of starting a thread about Findus, but now you have mentioned it here, this is good enough, too many threads on the same subjects anyway.

Good old Poland and Ireland and Supermarkets following the EU rules:

Posted Image

Topics

Posted Image Posted Image
EU rules until 12 Dec. 2014
EU rules after 13 Dec. 2014
Price indication
Quinine & caffeine
Beef
Labelling of GMOs Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Legislation applicable until 12 December 2014
EU legislation on food labelling covers:
  • General rules on food labelling
  • Rules for specific foods e.g. beef or chocolate.
Directive 2000/13/EC on labelling, presentation and advertising of foods is the main EU legislation on the subject.
Key points of Directive 2000/13/EC
  • Consumers get all the essential information on composition, manufacturer, storage methods and preparation, etc.
  • Applies to foods delivered as such to the consumer or to restaurants, hospitals, canteens and other mass caterers.
  • Food labels must be indelible and easy to see, understand and read, with some particulars appearing in the same field of vision.
  • Substances known as allergens must always be indicated on the label. (EU list of allergens or substances causing intolerances - Annex IIIa).
  • Labels must indicate the quantity of certain ingredients as a percentage of the final product (Quantitative Ingredients Declaration - QUID).
  • Producers and manufacturers can give additional labelling information, if it is accurate and does not mislead the consumer.
  • Prohibits claims on any food that it prevents, treats or cures a human disease.

Rules are only as good as its enforcement.
The rules are made in Brussels, and Brussels is far away....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,636 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Rules are only as good as its enforcement.
The rules are made in Brussels, and Brussels is far away....
yes, it seems the Brussels rules are as popular as their vegetable counterparts, all pushed to the other side of the plate!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    ali smack

ali smack

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

I am getting seriously worried. I ate a beef pasty last month. I have also eaten cheese burgers, which I believe had beef in them 2 months ago. I hope they didn't contain horse meat

#19    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

If its unpopular I would imagine BK would have changed vendors for there beef. There in it for money and dont want the continued reputation smear.

#20    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

I did just find this gem however.

http://www.csmonitor...rgers-meatballs

#21    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,349 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

why am i not surprised the sources of the meat is coming from countries outside of the UK. civilized people dont eat horse.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#22    Shayde

Shayde

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Another thing to get worried about with just what the blazes might be in our food. Are they trying to put us off eating anything? Mark you, there are now several jokes coming to the fore on this subject. Some of them wonderfully offensive!

#23    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 08 February 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

why am i not surprised the sources of the meat is coming from countries outside of the UK. civilized people dont eat horse.

So, Britain until the 1930s was uncivilized?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#24    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,349 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 08 February 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

So, Britain until the 1930s was uncivilized?

i think you'll find the consumption was limited, infact if you knew a thing or two instead of just headline grabbing of the first result google throws up, to try and make a point in our game of oneupmanship :passifier:   - if you knew your history you'll find the increase in horse meat consumption was to do with refugees from the first world war. who came over here. once we sorted that little mess out, and brought a bit of civility back to europe the consumption decreased to the level we see today which seems to be 80%+ of beef products. those dirty europeans' how dare they feed us that tripe, a food of depression and poverty. only something the lessers would eat with relish. the likes of the Koreans of Europe France. they'd eat anything. - Britain 1 - Questionmark - 0

Edited by stevewinn, 08 February 2013 - 07:05 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#25    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,193 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

Can anyone remember who once said, "Belgians? They'll drink anything that can be brewed in a bucket, and eat anything that can't crawl out of one!"? Oh hang on, that might've been me!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#26    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 36,976 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 08 February 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

i think you'll find the consumption was limited, infact if you knew a thing or two instead of just headline grabbing of the first result google throws up, to try and make a point in our game of oneupmanship :passifier:   - if you knew your history you'll find the increase in horse meat consumption was to do with refugees from the first world war. who came over here. once we sorted that little mess out, and brought a bit of civility back to europe the consumption decreased to the level we see today which seems to be 80%+ of beef products. those dirty europeans' how dare they feed us that tripe, a food of depression and poverty. only something the lessers would eat with relish. the likes of the Koreans of Europe France. they'd eat anything. - Britain 1 - Questionmark - 0

I just took you up on your statement, which was pretty categorical. So I suppose you say that Britain indeed was uncivilized until the 30s. Because in the rest of Europe the consumption of horse was pretty limited too. Mostly to horses nobody wanted anymore or to sick to use as animal of burden.

about me

#27    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• 6,677 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's not just red meat we have to worry about.

Posted Image

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 08 February 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#28    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 07 February 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

in related news:
I don't know really...
I'm dithering a little bit here having seen horsemeat being displayed in a continental shop.
These lasagnes could be kosher but it's still processed food.
So in a way it makes it more dubious than horsemeat in burgers even though they had more of an inkling when it came to the true content.
Because processed food or any snack you stick in a microwave does have warning signs.
How many times has my sister told me to  have your food fresh instead of this.
You might have more of a bulge in your shopping bag but I  think people in the UK are going to get ingredients instead.
I don't think you would ever call a home- made lasagne processed.

Btw I'm fully expecting this fiasco to never end with the new revelation of horse's cheese.
That's going to cause a backlash for sure.

Edited by Medium Brown, 08 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#29    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,636 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

What gets me is not the horsemeat alone, its the fact that the supermarkets do not seems to know what they are selling on their shelves. Surely they have "buyers" who check these things out. There are regulations which have been severely broken here.
What else is on our shelves which the supermarkets do not know about?

AND why are they buying meat from Poland anyway, are we that short of cows now since they killed many during the BSE crisis.....and where did the food for the cows come from then? all over Europe. And we are following the rules they tell us to? why?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#30    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,994 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

What else are these bl**dy Europeans gonna get up to,to try and upset us. Its time we turned our backs on them.Out of the 27 member Euro states we have about 4 allies the rest are against Britain, for whatever reason their twisted minds can come up with,and we are still contributing £millions to their coffers.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users