Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

texas chainsaw massacre really happened

Adam_666

True Tales or Tall Tales About the Texas Chainsaw Massacre?

My son and his friends were watching the 2003 version of this horror classic yet again just a few days ago. Seems folks can't get enough, My Profile of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Series of Movies is a continually popular page on this site. It also generates a lot of email, much of it incredulous that TCM is not a "true story" (some quite thrown by the documentary style news footage at the beginning of the latest remake).

Several folks have written to me claiming that it did so really happen because it happened to people they know, including family members. They tell of visits to a variety of small Texas towns over the last 50 years or so where they, a friend, or a close family member were threatened by Leatherface-life men and their families, feasted on human flesh (unknown to them at the time), or witnessed horrible atrocities that had them running for their lives. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is being played out even today, or so it seems. Did it really happen? Some people believe it did.

Read one woman's story and tell your own grisly tale or present your proof that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is true..

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Idriss

• Twisted_Dragon

• Adam_666

• PsychoBunny

personally i think it is true

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on the real life murders of a sicko called Ed Gein (google him). Although the film used artistic licence in as much as they deemed the serial killers to be an entire family, they based how the murders were done on Gein's style. The serial killer in "Silence of the Lambs" was also based on Gein.

yeah i know i'm just posting the topic

Texas Chainsaw Massacre was based on the real life murders of a sicko called Ed Gein (google him). Although the film used artistic licence in as much as they deemed the serial killers to be an entire family, they based how the murders were done on Gein's style. The serial killer in "Silence of the Lambs" was also based on Gein.

Sort of, but not entirely accurate.

While the character in TCM is as you said 'based' on Ed Gein, the two are extremely different. The main difference is, if my memory of the Biography Channel is correct, Ed Gein actually only killed one person, possibly two. What made him so notorious is that he actually dug up bodies from the local Graveyard, skinned the corpses and wore the flesh.

Bill from Silence of the Lambs was also based on Ed Gein, for the same reason. The wearing of the female human skin.

Nice link, that neatly sums it up. :)

yeah i know i'm just posting the topic

What do you "know"? You know that it was based on Ed Gein?

Also, you might want to provide a link to your original post, instead of just copying what someone else wrote somewhere else.

Sort of, but not entirely accurate.

While the character in TCM is as you said 'based' on Ed Gein, the two are extremely different. The main difference is, if my memory of the Biography Channel is correct, Ed Gein actually only killed one person, possibly two. What made him so notorious is that he actually dug up bodies from the local Graveyard, skinned the corpses and wore the flesh.

Bill from Silence of the Lambs was also based on Ed Gein, for the same reason. The wearing of the female human skin.

^^^Yeah, that just about says it. Like most killers, he had an unhealthy fixation on his mother, being babied until he was 40 or so. The guy bascially never left the house and had severe pyschological problems. When his mother died, he began digging up graves of yuong women, being fascinated by the female form (which he never really got a good glimpse of). Being confused about his own sexuality, he would often wear a flesh costume and parade around. Upon searching his homw, police found many atrocities, such as human brains, limbs, and organs in the refridgerator, a lampshade made out of flesh, and ever an ashtray crafted from a human skull. As burnside said, Gein only killed two people on record, there were many other disappearences, though, that are often (possibly) wrongfully attributed to the guy. Many of the remains in his home could not be identified, so he may have taken more lives. For those curious, I had to research the guy for a project, most of the info is from "The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers."

I dunno weither anyone's already put this but Red Dragon and Psycho were based on Ed Gein. There is also a film out about him made in 2000 I think, it explains the story well but it is very cheap and has Steve Railsback (spelt wrong I know) as Ed Gein.

Red Dragon is film number one in the trilogy about Hannibal Lecter so may as well be classed with Silence of the Lambs.

Read one woman's story and tell your own grisly tale or present your proof that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre is true..

Which woman's story?

Edited by Bebi

Although it says at the beginning of Texas Chainsaw Massacre that it is a true story, it's just a tool used by filmmakers to scare people (Return of The Living Dead, Blair Witch Project...). The character of Leatherface is indeed loosely based on Ed Gein, though it is true he only killed one person to our knowledge. He is widely known as a "serial killer" despite this, but is more accurately a necrophile and grave robber. And a mega momma's boy.....

Nifty! i'd heard of it being based at least somewhat in reality, and i'd heard of Gein, though i never heard his involvement, though after researching more accurately i'd found similar stuff as mentioned by previous posters. what a weirdo...

^^^Yeah, that just about says it. Like most killers, he had an unhealthy fixation on his mother, being babied until he was 40 or so. The guy bascially never left the house and had severe pyschological problems. When his mother died, he began digging up graves of yuong women, being fascinated by the female form (which he never really got a good glimpse of). Being confused about his own sexuality, he would often wear a flesh costume and parade around. Upon searching his homw, police found many atrocities, such as human brains, limbs, and organs in the refridgerator, a lampshade made out of flesh, and ever an ashtray crafted from a human skull. As burnside said, Gein only killed two people on record, there were many other disappearences, though, that are often (possibly) wrongfully attributed to the guy. Many of the remains in his home could not be identified, so he may have taken more lives. For those curious, I had to research the guy for a project, most of the info is from "The A to Z Encyclopedia of Serial Killers."

That's were the idea of Norman Bates came from in the movie Psycho :yes: he was based on Ed Gein both his and 'Norman Bates' mother's were schizophreniac and controlling :wacko:

i still like the movie though... :)

Adam,

You'll want to temper the derogatory comments if you wish to continue to participate in this discussion. Argue all you want, but be civil about it.

MM

Did I miss something? :ph34r:

That's were the idea of Norman Bates came from in the movie Psycho :yes: he was based on Ed Gein both his and 'Norman Bates' mother's were schizophreniac and controlling :wacko:

It did actualy happen but not in the way as the movie did. He shot his victims, dragged them to his barn, skinned them, then he tried to put the skin on his own body. He never really used a chainsaw.

So disturbing...

I feel all of us have a little bit of "psychoticness" in ourselves, but never ever to that extent. He must have been really messed up...

It makes me shake just thinking about how there could and probably is people like that living among us.

Even though I find it freakishly disturbing, I find great interest in the subject as well as watching all the films.

It did actualy happen but not in the way as the movie did. He shot his victims, dragged them to his barn, skinned them, then he tried to put the skin on his own body. He never really used a chainsaw.

are you in reference to Ed Gein? because Norman Bates is a fictional character, leatherface did not exist either the ideas of these characters came from the life of Ed Gein :yes: He only killed ONE victim with a shoval and skinned her back THEN went to the local graveyard dug up female corpses and skinned them 2 :w00t::o he only killed ONE person ^_^

are you in reference to Ed Gein? because Norman Bates is a fictional character, leatherface did not exist either the ideas of these characters came from the life of Ed Gein :yes: He only killed ONE victim with a shoval and skinned her back THEN went to the local graveyard dug up female corpses and skinned them 2 :w00t::o he only killed ONE person ^_^

It was only confirmed that he killed one person. Many missing persons are still attributed to Gein and many of the remains in his home couldn't be identified or linked to the bodies he had dug up. He could have killed more...but since the psycho is dead now, we'll never know...

It was only confirmed that he killed one person. Many missing persons are still attributed to Gein and many of the remains in his home couldn't be identified or linked to the bodies he had dug up. He could have killed more...but since the psycho is dead now, we'll never know...

yea im glad hez dead now..........

Living pretty close to Travis county (about 45 minutes away) I can tell you that this story is not true. The story was based on Ed Gein who by the way is also the inspiration of quite a few horror films. You should read up on him....very interesting stuff. My fiances father was actually in prison with him in Wisconsin and they played chess together while locked up. He (Bill, my fiances dad) said he was a very friendly person and you would have never known that he was a murderer. sadly Bill past away about 3 years ago or else I'd ask him more and let him tell you stories about Mr Gein.