Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why is laughing contagious?

Rolci

You all must've had the experience when someone next to you (could be even a stranger) all of a sudden started roaring with laughter without any reason apparent to you - could've been something they read, remembered, imagined, anything - and after a few seconds your incomprehension was replaced by an uncontrollable need to join in with the laughter. Thinking about it, I don't think this is triggered by the sensory input of the laughter itself - seeing and hearing someone screaming like a jackass on TV simply won't have the same effect, even if you are next to the apparatus. Curious, as if there was an invisible field around the person. The stronger their laughter and the closer you are staying to that person, the greater the gradient and the effect on you. Sit next to a giggling one - you'll start to smile. See from further away someone ROTFL - you are still likely to pull a grin. Sit next to your friend who just remembered a joke and the mere recollection of the punchline prevents him from sharing it with you because they're LTAO - you will probably start laughing yourself EVEN THOUGH you have no perception as of the subject of the laughter. To put it simply - you were laughing at nothing. Why???

Edited by Rolci

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rolci

• dest_titor1

• ravergirl

• InHuman

because laughing feels good and sounds ridiculous. im almost laughing right now thinking about laughing.. wow. im in a much better mood than earlier

Sometimes you make the same mistake several times in a row or the same accident keeps happening to you, or your friend falls... You laugh at a situation. You hear a joke... There is no situation. You hear someone laughing... There can be a situation, but surely not "your situation".

because laughing feels good and sounds ridiculous. im almost laughing right now thinking about laughing.. wow. im in a much better mood than earlier

You don't get up in the morning and start laughing "just because" it feels good. But you will take a walk, just because it feels good.

Thanks guys but I think there must be something else to this one...

Sometimes you make the same mistake several times in a row or the same accident keeps happening to you, or your friend falls... You laugh at a situation. You hear a joke... There is no situation. You hear someone laughing... There can be a situation, but surely not "your situation".

You don't get up in the morning and start laughing "just because" it feels good. But you will take a walk, just because it feels good.

Thanks guys but I think there must be something else to this one...

yeah but if you hear someone laughing maybe your brain remembers and....you know I don't know why and i don't care either, im just really glad it happens that way....one of lifes little gifts.

I agree ravergirl, entirely from the bottom of my heart, but I'm also curious how it works and WHY it works that way. Just curiousity, human need to understand. Probably stronger in males, not saying that not caring is inferior or "worse" in any way, totally understandable. I'm just curious... Wanna no wut ppl make of it.

Edited by Rolci

because they look so ridicules!

Because if I laught aswell then that will lure them into a false sense of security which I can take advantage of later...

Because if I laught aswell then that will lure them into a false sense of security which I can take advantage of later...

you sound sadistic... ha ha ha ha ha ha

You all must've had the experience when someone next to you (could be even a stranger) all of a sudden started roaring with laughter without any reason apparent to you - could've been something they read, remembered, imagined, anything - and after a few seconds your incomprehension was replaced by an uncontrollable need to join in with the laughter. Thinking about it, I don't think this is triggered by the sensory input of the laughter itself - seeing and hearing someone screaming like a jackass on TV simply won't have the same effect, even if you are next to the apparatus. Curious, as if there was an invisible field around the person. The stronger their laughter and the closer you are staying to that person, the greater the gradient and the effect on you. Sit next to a giggling one - you'll start to smile. See from further away someone ROTFL - you are still likely to pull a grin. Sit next to your friend who just remembered a joke and the mere recollection of the punchline prevents him from sharing it with you because they're LTAO - you will probably start laughing yourself EVEN THOUGH you have no perception as of the subject of the laughter. To put it simply - you were laughing at nothing. Why???

Lol.. I started laughing at the thought of someone screaming angrily while you're like walking down the road and all these people join in with the screaming even though they have no idea why rofl.

HAHHAAA

has this ever happened to you, if not catch yourslf next time it happens, you'll be watching a tv show with a STUDIO AUDIENCE and when they laugh you laugh even if it is FAR from funny.

I have been bored watching americas funniest animals with the fake studio audience before and caught myself laughing, like a dog rolling over and that cheesy robot like host says something STUPID and the "audiencec" is like HAHAHAHAHAHA and ill be like HEHEHEHE- ARRRGGGG that isnt even FUNNY arrrrrgggg

Empathy? Same reason people crying in a film might make people tear up? Or maybe cause they just look so darn goofy with a purple face, a belly laugh, and spittle coming out of their mouths.

Laughing Baby :lol:

Edited by Episteme

I have no idea, but I have been told that I have an infectuous laugh. I have been laughing with my sister and people around me have started laughing because of my laugh. Not sure what it is, maybe I am just a nut.

No idea but it makes you feel better.

Yea emotions are contagious in general are'nt they. Laughing more so tho in terms of strangers, I would'nt join in crying with a stranger but I may join in if I were watching a film or if it was a family member. Interesting one...

Edited by FOS

truth is sometimes other peaoples laughts are hularious. lol