Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Will We Ever Understand Consciousness?

consciousness awareness brain

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

Double post

Edited by danielost, 13 June 2013 - 01:54 AM.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#62    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:53 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 12 June 2013 - 09:32 AM, said:

So you were always conscious?

As far back as I can remember.  I remember my first thought, so this is life!!  This tells me that there was something and I didn't think of it as life.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#63    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

A intelligence that tries to survive in a world of matter.:)

#64    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,959 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

My two sense/since/scents/cents:

I think that, in SETH SPEAKS, Seth does a very good job in explaining it. All we have to do is reverse-science consciousness according to Seth.

Edited by regeneratia, 13 June 2013 - 02:20 AM.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#65    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,401 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

Ever wonder when our memories start? Most people say when they were about two years old. Could it be when a word is understood and spoken is when our memories start?

#66    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

Not in my case, I remember the thought and moving shadows.  I assume the hospital staff.  My mom told me when I was two days old I was trying to hold the girl next door hand.

#67    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:15 AM

View Postdanielost, on 13 June 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

As far back as I can remember.  I remember my first thought, so this is life!!  This tells me that there was something and I didn't think of it as life.
But I asked if you were always conscious, not conscious just during your life.

#68    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,550 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostRlyeh, on 13 June 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

But I asked if you were always conscious, not conscious just during your life.
And, I said I remember there being something before life.  So the answer is yes.  I would hace to have a conscious in order to remember something bing there before life.

#69    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:46 AM

The standard line among those fundamentalist Buddhists who go around trying to prove rebirth is that to catch past-life memories you have to question very young children.

I have always felt that this is a cop-out, since there is no particular reason for it that I can imagine that holds water.  Also, of course, children can be impressed with false memories through their desire to please adults, so the very questions can lead to the answers the questioner wants and the child henceforth thinking it was a real memory.

My view is that the very rebirth process would wipe out any past-life memory, period, so there is no way using such approaches to learn anything.  Only if memories are retained in some non-physical (non-brain) way could things be otherwise, and, stories aside, there is no reason to think this and plenty of reason to think not.

#70    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:20 AM

View Postdanielost, on 13 June 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

And, I said I remember there being something before life.  So the answer is yes.  I would hace to have a conscious in order to remember something bing there before life.
You don't sound very sure.

#71    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I live in Thailand. My girlfriend is an ardent Buddhist. She prays to him with chanting and a yoga style lotus position to meditate for some hours every day.She has no memories of a past life. I asked her about this and she said " what a stupid question "  She believes that she will come back after death.

#72    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,002 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:25 AM

View Postangi chiesa, on 24 June 2013 - 04:19 AM, said:

I live in Thailand. My girlfriend is an ardent Buddhist. She prays to him with chanting and a yoga style lotus position to meditate for some hours every day.She has no memories of a past life. I asked her about this and she said " what a stupid question "  She believes that she will come back after death.
I think that's a little excessive, even for a monk or a nun.  I'm not sure she would identify what she does as praying -- you may have a little translation problem there.

Also tagged with consciousness, awareness, brain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users