Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery Illness Closes 57 Schools

Still Waters

Late last month dozens of schools in Bangladesh were closed after hundreds of students began succumbing to a mystery illness.

The students were taken to a local college hospital and examined, but doctors there could find no common cause or reason for the symptoms. In all the cases the mystery illness was minor and soon faded away.

In all, 57 schools in the region were closed for two days while investigators searched for a cause but none was found. The Faridpur school mystery has all the textbook signs of a mass hysteria outbreak.

http://news.discover...desh-160215.htm

• Like 2

I agree this is likely another variant of mass hysteria, as happens, usually in schools and other closed gathering places of direct social interaction with no central activity (like a ball game or opera), and it's usually involving children or other malleable or easily-influenced or stressed people. Always interesting.

• Like 2

Maybe a really hot guy came to school and it triggered a hormone attack? :tu:

A mass panic attack is more like it.

• Like 1

Maybe a really hot guy came to school and it triggered a hormone attack? :tu:

A mass panic attack is more like it.

if the hot guy was Shah Rukh khan i can understand :w00t: ....talking about hormone trigger ...yes

but this has happened in a few schools ... still strange

• Like 1

I read the original article and I would tend to agree that this appears to be a case of mass hysteria.

The type of symptoms and a lack of repeat events after the students were returned to the classrooms (which were not cleaned) leads me to believe this.

• Like 2

Or maybe there was an environmental problem that negatively affected the young people. So easy to diagnose just send out a few teams looking at what industries are around the schools and see what they are burning, mixing and or dumping. I have found that Doctors are REALLY REALLY bad investigators. Good at prescribing drugs but really bad at diagnosing.

Well that is de ja vu for me, I had to check the date as I vividly recall this exact same thing happening a couple years ago... anyone else recall this?

• Like 1

At last! Proof that humans are psychically receptive creatures! If one does it, they simply pass it on through psychic powers they don't know they have and others repeat it, like domino.

But to be realistic, humans, especially young, are impressionable. I would have done it just to get a day off school!

There are recorded cases of this through centuries, and it not always children.

• Like 2

Well that is de ja vu for me, I had to check the date as I vividly recall this exact same thing happening a couple years ago... anyone else recall this?

Same here. However I think it was early last year but I could be wrong.

Maybe it should be called the Halifax Virus.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/most-shocking/10-of-the-craziest-cases-of-mass-hysteria/?view=all

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-2047543/Warning-dangerous-new-viruses-look-identical-online-banking-pages.html

If you watch this video, the guy on there who sent the blood to be tested got the vitals back, said they came back: NAD (Nothing Abnormal Detected)

• Like 1

Or maybe there was an environmental problem that negatively affected the young people. So easy to diagnose just send out a few teams looking at what industries are around the schools and see what they are burning, mixing and or dumping. I have found that Doctors are REALLY REALLY bad investigators. Good at prescribing drugs but really bad at diagnosing.

From article:

In all, 57 schools in the region were closed for two days while investigators searched for a cause but none was found. The Faridpur school mystery has all the textbook signs of a mass hysteria outbreak.

http://news.discover...desh-160215.htm

If it were anything to do with pollution from industries, it would not be a one off and would be on a much more regular basis and it would not just affect young people.

Pollution affects all age.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1