Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

World Will Get More Religious by 2050

Still Waters

The world is becoming more religious, as the number of agnostics and others who don't affiliate with a certain religion shrinks as a percentage of the global population.

By 2050, just 13 percent of people in the world will say they are unaffiliated, compared with 16 percent who said the same in 2010, according to a new Pew Research Center survey.

http://www.livescien...-will-grow.html

Probably because the Soviet Union is gone and China actually allows people to be religious now.

Huge portion of the population

• Like 1

Well it doesn't matter how much technology advances, when you're stuck in a rut most people will find the hope that faith provides very appealing. I personally am an Apatheist, but I've known more than one Atheist to do this in my life.

I think the prediction is based mainly on the growth of Islam -- they can't convert the world so they will out-breed it. The Muslim meme has characteristics that seem to make it particularly resistant to rationality, so they hold onto their children.

• Like 3

I think that some religious matters will eventually move into the field of science. Just look at all extraordinary results from noetic experiments for example. Scientists refuse to believe them since they are saying that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, a quite unscientific claim I think, all science should follow the same rules for evidence. Also look at NDE cases like one case I've read about and seen on TV with a patient who was both blindfolded and earplugged during her operation, and still she could tell details of the operation afterwards that she claimed to have watched from outside her body. Also look at some psychics telling extraordinary details of a person and the person's relatives despite of never having seen the person before or having had the opportunity to investigate the person before.

Also interesting where dark matter comes into the picture. It is much more common than ordinary matter. However, it doesn't interact with ordinary matter or light and is therefore invisible. In fact, scientists know so little about dark matter so maybe there could be a "dark matter being" standing behind you right now. People with "spiritual knowledge" are talking about that the spritual world is at a higher frequency and therefore invisible to us. Who knows, maybe dark matter strings are vibrating with higher frequencies. This is only speculation from my side of course but still interesting I think.

..... :unsure2: but isn't this all relative? I have to re-read this again....

What I mean some *religious* people do not use birth control so they typically have higher birth rates; larger families. Wouldn't that be relative meaning more *religious* people procreating and raising more *religious* children?

Ugh...need more coffee.

Edited to add:

Okay, that mixed with this....

"Today's religiously unaffiliated population, by contrast, is heavily concentrated in places with low fertility and aging populations, such as Europe, North America, China and Japan," according to a statement by Pew.

makes more sense to me now. It's not like people are returning to Religion in droves...it's just going into a new phase.

Nice article Still Waters, Thanks! :tu:

Edited by She-ra
  • Like 1

Does this mean even more chocolate at Easter? Or probably not..:P

• Like 1

One of my favorite things to point out is the large numbers of people from South of the border coming over, mostly Catholic, mostly "married", mostly with a strange sense of family, a strong sense of "macho". The Southerners with change our nation in ways that are almost inconceivable right now.

Hell hot sauce started out selling ketchup in the early years of 2000. And ketchup is so fundamentally 'merican that even the Japanese recognize its importance to us a people.

This is from a comic Ketchup Ninja, ch. 23.

068.jpg?imgmax=3000

• Like 2

They don't seem to be taking into account the effects environmental changes and cultural change. I think the behavior of ISIS is an eye opener to a lot of Muslims. I think also, we are going to be in for an unprecedented changes in an environmental collapse. Religion may take a back seat to finding food and staying alive. Who knows, we may see a change over to earth based religions as people realize how important it is to care for the environment for survival.

Druids may win the religion game in the end. :clap:

• Like 1

One of my favorite things to point out is the large numbers of people from South of the border coming over, mostly Catholic, mostly "married", mostly with a strange sense of family, a strong sense of "macho". The Southerners with change our nation in ways that are almost inconceivable right now.

South of the Border? Not only Latinos will change our entire US culture, the "Southernization" of federal politics of the Southern or southeastern US in the last 40 years was responsible for the growth of religious fundamentalism, Republican domination and fiscal conservatism in the US government. Expect the Bible belt region to remain intact in the future, while the north-east corridor and west coast will grow further apart from the deep south with less religion and more secular culture.

Hell hot sauce started out selling ketchup in the early years of 2000. And ketchup is so fundamentally 'merican that even the Japanese recognize its importance to us a people.

This is from a comic Ketchup Ninja, ch. 23.

068.jpg?imgmax=3000

I've never seen anyone eat ketchup with macaroni, but the rest is indeed fair game.

We call it Tomato Sauce down here and it goes exceedingly well with everything :)

I imagine a lot more people will also be missing their heads.

• Like 1

.....nah, its the body that goes with the sauce, the heads are preserved....pickles ya know....

South of the Border? Not only Latinos will change our entire US culture

I'm confused. What does Latinos and American culture have to do with the topic? The question of the topic is about the affiliation of religion worldwide, and even makes note to clarify that America is one of the countries tipped to buck the trend and get less affiliated with religion by 2050.

I hate to say it, but the world is bigger than the continent you seem to live in :)

They don't seem to be taking into account the effects environmental changes and cultural change. I think the behavior of ISIS is an eye opener to a lot of Muslims. I think also, we are going to be in for an unprecedented changes in an environmental collapse. Religion may take a back seat to finding food and staying alive. Who knows, we may see a change over to earth based religions as people realize how important it is to care for the environment for survival.

Druids may win the religion game in the end. :clap:

Yes I think magic and wizadry might be the path to peace in the future.

I've never seen anyone eat ketchup with macaroni, but the rest is indeed fair game.

My brother lol