Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

So i tried the Ganzfeld Experiment and

ganzfeld experiment

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16    shrooma

shrooma

.. Pint Pot Politician.

• 3,506 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:49 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 22 July 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Funnily enough I already had the ping pong balls..
strangely enough, i have one in a vase in the kitchen, although i haven't played table tennis for over 30yrs, and have no idea where it came from!
This only cost me $3.50 for the light bulb.
all old-style bulbs are banned in the UK now, just those squiggly, energy-saving things, and i don't think they do those in purty colours!

- - - - -disclaimer- - - - -    
all posts- without exception- are humourous.
if you fail to grasp the sublety, then don't whine on like a mardy-arsed
bĦt˘h due to your lack of understanding.

#17    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,166 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

Prof T

all in all it was an interesting thing to try. I might have another go in the future..

Well, here are a few of thoughts.

[1] In the old days, we painted the ping pong balls to achieve the uniform color (nail polish? spray paint?). I realize you personally already have the bulb, but maybe this will help those who cannot get incandescent bulbs (they don't sell colored LEDs either? I'm not going to their house for Christimas.) However...

[2] If you do it right, then you won't perceive the color anyway after a few minutes, before any "relaxation effect" fully sets in, most likely. That was the original point of the ganzfeld thing, that color vision saturates out.  So, I'd cut to the chase and just use the translucent ping pong ball halves (I know, this is more for other people, you already have the bulb).

[3] When Bem does it, you don't just sit there, you have a task to perform. The idea is that the relaxation lets you approach the task while dulling the edge of any feeling that you need to "perform." You're not supposed to be hallucinating, you're supposed to be getting the right answer to some actual question - without being all wound up about getting the right answer.

Best wishes for round two, if you decide to have a go at it.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users