Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alcatraz 1962 escapees had chance of success

Still Waters

Three inmates who famously escaped from the US island prison Alcatraz had a small chance of making it to land alive - but the odds were stacked against them, a new study suggests.

In 1962, the prisoners absconded using a raft, and were never seen again.

A novel computer model now indicates that if they set off right at midnight, they could have made landfall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-30349106

The twisted side of me hopes they survived. And separated and headed to the Pacific Northwest. Living their lives off the land and became decent men. There is no proof that didn't happen so I'm going with that theory.

• Like 1

Mythbusters did an interesting episode about it. Seems highly unlikely, though, that they made it. And kept quiet about it.

• Like 1

Mythbusters did an interesting episode about it. Seems highly unlikely, though, that they made it. And kept quiet about it.

Given that most believe they did not, if they did they had a hell of a headstart.

I've always found that escape so fascinating. But like some of the others above, my gut tells me they died in the attempt.

Unlikely they survived ... past behavior tends to predict future behavior. About four out of ten of individuals judged to be at moderate to high risk of future violence go on to reoffend violently.

Anglin brothers Alfred Clarence (born May 11, 1931) and John William (born May 2, 1930)

Frank Lee Morris was born on September 1, 1926.

In 1962, they would have been of age 31, 32 and 36, respectively. .

Fast forward to 2014.

If they were still alive, they would be 83, 84 and 90.

Unless they were blessed with good genes, they're dead now even if they did reach land(which is doubtful)

I am a firm believer in their success due to the aid of another inmate who had the connections to have a boat out there waiting for them.

They didn't make it, they froze then drowned in the bay. Any remains would have been swept out to sea by the currents.

They didn't make it, they froze then drowned in the bay. Any remains would have been swept out to sea by the currents.

NOPE!!!

The determination and character of escaping their situation leads me to believe that these men were successful at escaping The Rock, and are alive to this day. Hopefully sipping daqueries on some lonesome beach. Although they are elder statesmen at this point, their ambition to escape made them tough SOB's and that is why they are still here. I have no doubt.

NOPE!!!

The determination and character of escaping their situation leads me to believe that these men were successful at escaping The Rock, and are alive to this day. Hopefully sipping daqueries on some lonesome beach. Although they are elder statesmen at this point, their ambition to escape made them tough SOB's and that is why they are still here. I have no doubt.

Not tough enough for that situation. If they had escaped they would have ended up in South America and someone would have gone public.

Not tough enough for that situation. If they had escaped they would have ended up in South America and someone would have gone public.

And what makes you think that? If they had enough intelligence, ambition, and patience to pull off the first half of their escape, what makes you think they didn't have a plan for the outside world as well. I don't think they got to the bay after all of their planning and were like, "Welp, now what?"

This was a well thought out plan and I believe they lived their lives without ever being caught, and still may be alive to this day.

Hopefully sipping daqueries on some lonesome beach. Although they are elder statesmen at this point, their ambition to escape made them tough SOB's and that is why they are still here. I have no doubt.

Silly to say you have no doubt.

I'm not sure I hope they are sipping daiquiris. Not exactly stand up guys.

Silly to say you have no doubt.

I'm not sure I hope they are sipping daiquiris. Not exactly stand up guys.

What do you mean? The prison system rehabilitated them before their escape.

I'm saying at least two of them survived the escape, if not all three. They most likely went their separate ways Anglin brothers one way, and Morris another. I'm guessing that Morris lived his life quietly out of country while the Anglin brothers stayed in the USA.

I'm saying at least two of them survived the escape, if not all three. They most likely went their separate ways Anglin brothers one way, and Morris another. I'm guessing that Morris lived his life quietly out of country while the Anglin brothers stayed in the USA.

Why would you say that? What information do you have to back up the claim that "at least two of them survived"?

I do think it is possible, but highly unlikely.

A fairly recent documentary released by National Geographic called 'Vanished from Alcatraz' suggests at least one of convicts made it and provides intriguing evidence to support the claim. It tells the tale of a U.S. Marshall who's been on the case for some time.

Why would you say that? What information do you have to back up the claim that "at least two of them survived"?

I do think it is possible, but highly unlikely.

If the currents had to carry three people, I think that losing one may have increased chances of getting to land faster. The Anglins may have pushed Morris off and that is the body found later by the ship.

I have no proof nor inside information, however, statistically speaking, if anyone would not have survived it would have been Morris. The brothers would not turn against each other.

Another interesting suggestion that has been made is that perhaps a boat was waiting. Since Mr. Morris seemed like he had no family, the Anglins may have been the ones to secure a boat.

Regardless, the desire for freedom among this three could have given them "strength" for the long haul through the water.