Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

License to Smoke?

Hasina

Researchers Debate a License to Smoke Cigarettes

They do it for coal-burning power plants. So how about something for what many consider to be a walking smokestack — the cigarette smoker?

Yes, a license to smoke. Simon Chapman, a professor of publichealthicon1.png at the University of Sydney in Australia, offers this radical proposal to help reduce the damaging health effects of tobacco, both for the user and the recipient of second-hand smoke.

You may think this is brilliant … or crazy … or both. Chapman's proposal appears today (Nov. 13) in the online journal PLoS Medicineicon1.png, accompanied by an opposing view put forth by Jeff Collin, a professor of global health policy from the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.

Source: http://www.livescience.com/24754-debate-license-smoke-cigarettes.html

"There would be a fee for the license"

so who`s idea is it really?

Now its come to light that there are still many out there who will not give up smoking and the increase of tax hasn`t stopped them because there is always going to someone out there doing it cheaper, this money making idea pops up for someone who could do with a little more dosh without hiking up the tax again without causing a riot.

Today I am not really sure what will kill me quicker, the chemicals they ply into our foods, the fumes emitting from the vehicles on the road, a possible terrorist attack, some drunk driver speeding in my direction, a "natural" earthquake because of "nature" or because of mans insistance on digging up our seabeds, a tumour because of the mobile phones interfering with our air waves,or a desease created my man which is classed as a cancer.

Time for a cig to calm down I reckon, who knows, it could be my last.

• Like 3

I think it's a good idea. The collective smoke from all the worlds smokers must have a huge contribution to the poor air quality, ozone layer etc.

And while we're at it, biscuits, oh yeah, and pet ownership and uhh, yeah yeah, assembling in public places. Nanny State horsepucky is what it is.

edited to add that I lost my mom some years ago to those damned things. 10 months of watching her die because she chose to smoke. But you know what? She CHOSE them...it was the decision of an adult American. If cigarettes are that much of a poison then here's an idea: BAN THEM. Make them illegal. That should surely bring down the healthcare costs, no? Except the hypocritical SOB's won't do it because of the tax revenue it generates. So instead lets just use it as one more means of giving one group control over another.

Edited by and then
  • Like 1

And while we're at it, biscuits, oh yeah, and pet ownership and uhh, yeah yeah, assembling in public places. Nanny State horsepucky is what it is.

edited to add that I lost my mom some years ago to those damned things. 10 months of watching her die because she chose to smoke. But you know what? She CHOSE them...it was the decision of an adult American. If cigarettes are that much of a poison then here's an idea: BAN THEM. Make them illegal. That should surely bring down the healthcare costs, no? Except the hypocritical SOB's won't do it because of the tax revenue it generates. So instead lets just use it as one more means of giving one group control over another.

I wonder if the medical staff had a choice to treat her?

I do not know of any one who does not have SOME type of addiction. So my question is , Where are all these perfect people ?