Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could time travel really take place?

Still Waters

When you think of time travel what comes to mind?

Dr Who hurtling through the centuries, hitting the controls inside the Tardis like some kind of metaphysical pinball machine?

Or does it raise images of time-flying contraptions built by Victorians in velvet smoking jackets? Or time machines made from souped-up sports cars like in the Back to the Future movies?

But could it ever really happen?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-30862837

• Like 1

I think I experienced God once and I'm pretty sure time is very different once you die and your soul/spirit is set free to behold everything.

Time-travel is possible, but only once we sack the idea of rapid space-travel and figure out how to keep Einstein-Rosen bridges open longer. And traveling to the past is possible if we learn to reshape matter to give space-time a negative curvature, or use quantum theory and the uncertainty principle to apply energy density as negative in the right places; as long as the total sum energy remains positive; see Casimir effect. But with the paradoxes involved, I don't know if we'd want to travel back in time. :P

Physicists debate whether it is possible to travel through the past or the future, but we don't know how really to cross the time continuum. It can be risky to alter world history and we aren't prepared to handle the consequences from changing events affecting our present. We shouldn't play around with the track of world history, even the most tragic, horrible or negative events, because we don't know what we're in for. I would like to see time travel possible, it can be used as a field trip of all time for history students to see events when they happen.

Prof Skow has recently published a book about concepts of time, Objective Becoming, which rejects the idea that time "passes" or is somehow in motion. He argues that past moments or experiences are just as real as the present, but are inaccessible in another part of time.

From Still Waters original link.

"If you believe the laws of physics, there's just as much reality to the future and the past as there is to the present moment." - Sean Carroll, Caltech. If every moment is a location in space-time, what we consider the Past, Present and Future are all equally real, and all exist together as a continuum.

A short video from the PBS series, 'The Fabric of the Cosmos', with Brian Greene. Starts at 1:30

• 3 weeks later...

Having been collecting time slip cases from a variety of sources, my answer is now that time travel is possible, but there seem to be significant differences between travel to the past and the future. Slips to the future are rare and when they occur, people are rarely seen and never communicated with. In contrast, there seem to be many cases of travel to the past (assuming that "travel" is the right word) in which people interact in a normal fashion with people and objects in the environment. Check out, e.g. "Possible timeslip in Catskill Mountains" in these forums.

• 1 month later...

My general understanding of things would say yes, but only forward. This would Einsteins Twin Paradox. Where you can not receive information as you speed ahead and basically take a time out. Then you return to the standard time in the future. basically you have to become a singularity unable to communicate or receive information.