Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Sumerian Beer May Have Been Alcohol-Free

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,347 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:34 PM

View PostNikkiAidyn, on 22 January 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Alcohol free beer is like a book without words.  :rofl:
Very true. It's also like driving a sports car with an automatic transmission or drinking decaffeinated coffee... WHY?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#17    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,564 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

PLEASE tell me it's a mistake.  Mouthy Mormons I can deal with but holier than thou Sumerians?
Too much to be borne.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#18    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

I am mystified by the first sentence of the article... would alcohol free beer really be 'enjoyed'?

#19    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:44 AM

View PostConrad Clough, on 10 April 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

I am mystified by the first sentence of the article... would alcohol free beer really be 'enjoyed'?
If fermentation of the sugars from the grains occurred then there would absolutely have been alcohol in it, unless the Sumerians boiled it after fermentation to remove the alcohol, which seems unlikely.  

HOWEVER if during the brewing process  the grains did not reach the proper temperatures, allowing the starches therein to convert to fermentable sugars, it is possible that the sumerians could have made drinks with no alcohol.

Also the amount of alcohol in the beer would have been dependent on several variables
1)the amount of fermentable sugars extracted during the brewing process

2) The kind of yeasts which were available.  some yeasts have very high tolerance for the byproduct of fermentation (alcohol) and some do not, so depending on the yeast strain a brewer is using, you may get more or less complete fermentation of sugars.  Most wild yeast strains have relatively low attenuation (ability to survive in alcohol)  and so therefore would have less fermentation abilities.  It is likely that the Sumerians used spontaneous fermentation with wild yeast strains.  

All in all chances are good that the Sumerians enjoyed a beer with much lower alcohol content, and higher sugar content, which would have made it more palatable.

#20    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 17,035 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:59 AM

...Sumerian beer, may have been alcohol-free...

Homer Simpson does not approve of your so-called 'civilisation', Sumerians!

Edited by Leonardo, 11 April 2012 - 08:01 AM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#21    Anne-Marie

Anne-Marie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• All credibility, all good
    conscience, all evidence of
    truth come only from the
    senses. Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Ouch! I'm an aussie and I like my beer, especially after a hard night working. Mind you, I never started drinking it for the taste either.

From my knowledge though Randy is right, water sources back in those days weren't all that safe, but that wasn't why sumerians brewed beer. It was done more as a religious thing. And yes, apparently it was alcoholic cos when the babylonians took over they offered guests preparations to ward off hangovers. You'll never guess what these preparations were usually dissolved in though... yep, that's right, beer. Lol

#22    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostAnne-Marie, on 11 April 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Ouch! I'm an aussie and I like my beer, especially after a hard night working. Mind you, I never started drinking it for the taste either.

From my knowledge though Randy is right, water sources back in those days weren't all that safe, but that wasn't why sumerians brewed beer. It was done more as a religious thing. And yes, apparently it was alcoholic cos when the babylonians took over they offered guests preparations to ward off hangovers. You'll never guess what these preparations were usually dissolved in though... yep, that's right, beer. Lol
I am a beer lover and a homebrewer - I love beer for its taste.  Not your standard goat-piss swill like Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Heineken, insert name of worthless mass-produced light lager here.  I enjoy beers with unique flavors crafted by people who give a rip what it tastes like.  Unlike the huge multinationals who produce least common denominator carbonated beer-water out of the least possible amount of beer ingredients possible, bought at the cheapest imaginable price.  

The beer that these major companies make today would be unrecognizable next to the products they started making around the turn of the century.  Back then, beer was made from malted barley, hops, and water.  Now your typical Bud, miller, coors, is over 40% rice and corn with regards to the grain bill.  

Anyone who doesn't like beer because they had a bud/miller/coors and thought it was nasty should branch out.  Because bud/miller/coors are to beer what a hot dog is to meat.  There are simply thousands of options that taste far, far better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users