Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

PETA Condemns Pokemon 'Animal Abuse'

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#16    Robert1

Robert1

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in society that PETA does like?

#17    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,564 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm so sick of PETA.

Something we agree on imaginary number :clap:

THat being said, it's people like PETA and Greenpeace that give environmentalists bad reps. :td:

~

ust out of curiosity, is there anything in society that PETA does like?

government funding

Edited by Bavarian Raven, 10 October 2012 - 09:52 PM.

#18    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:09 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 10 October 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

'Lone Voice' here: I support and approve of PETA. I think they're right to criticise the content of childrens' games. Posters here are saying the creatures are imaginary, which is obviously true, BUT ....... they(the posters), are not children! Young children can't always distinguish between what's real and what isn't, even when they say they CAN, if asked! Facts and falsehoods are all soaked up equally by young brains and no discrimination is applied.

I'm sorry Ouija, but that's a load of crap. Pure & simple. I played this game when I was 13 & it didn't make me join an organized chinchilla fighting ring. I also played final fantasy at earlier ages but I didn't try to attack random people & woodland creatures with a sword & fireballs. There's one thing that can be blamed for a child taking this out hand... THE PARENTS. There's only two situations in which a child is going to take this pastime too far. 1. The child is mentally ill, in which case their parent/s should damn well know better than to allow their child to view ANY form of media without supervision & 2: The child had been sat in front of a TV/game console their entire life & thinks this is a form of education. At that point the child might as well fall under category 1 again. In this situation the parent is to blame yet again.

When did we as a society decide, "Why educate my child myself? Why give them the knowledge of a life time of experience? Why stop & take interest in my Childs day to day life? Why get to know them at all? After all, I have TV, Playstation & internet to teach them everything. I can just go to work (hopefully) & then come home & kick my feet up. After all my child is a self sustaining lifeform that only needs me to bring home the bacon."

It's very sad that we blame everyone but ourselves when it comes to the shortcomings of our children. GROW THE ____ UP PEOPLE! We created them, the least we can do it's take an interest in their life & to make them into better people than we are. How are children supposed to act if their only rolemodels are from videogames, TV & the ol' interwebs here? The idea that this topic is even in existence (thank you PETA) makes me sick. Raise your own children. The"it takes a village" motto is an antiquated notion these days. & even if it wasn't, it wasn't referring to a village of STRANGERS!

from the desk of,
Lord Biff Wellington Esq.

Edited by Biff Wellington, 10 October 2012 - 10:17 PM.

#19    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostBiff Wellington, on 10 October 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

I'm sorry Ouija, but that's a load of crap. Pure & simple. I played this game when I was 13 & it didn't make me join an organized chinchilla fighting ring. I also played final fantasy at earlier ages but I didn't try to attack random people & woodland creatures with a sword & fireballs. There's one thing that can be blamed for a child taking this out hand... THE PARENTS. There's only two situations in which a child is going to take this pastime too far. 1. The child is mentally ill, in which case their parent/s should damn well know better than to allow their child to view ANY form of media without supervision & 2: The child had been sat in front of a TV/game console their entire life & thinks this is a form of education. At that point the child might as well fall under category 1 again. In this situation the parent is to blame yet again.

When did we as a society decide, "Why educate my child myself? Why give them the knowledge of a life time of experience? Why stop & take interest in my Childs day to day life? Why get to know them at all? After all, I have TV, Playstation & internet to teach them everything. I can just go to work (hopefully) & then come home & kick my feet up. After all my child is a self sustaining lifeform that only needs me to bring home the bacon."

It's very sad that we blame everyone but ourselves when it comes to the shortcomings of our children. GROW THE ____ UP PEOPLE! We created them, the least we can do it's take an interest in their life & to make them into better people than we are. How are children supposed to act if their only rolemodels are from videogames, TV & the ol' interwebs here? The idea that this topic is even in existence (thank you PETA) makes me sick. Raise your own children. The"it takes a village" motto is an antiquated notion these days. & even if it wasn't, it wasn't referring to a village of STRANGERS!

from the desk of,
Lord Biff Wellington Esq.

I find your reply a tad confusing. You start by saying that what I said was a load of crap, but most of the rest of your post seems to be supporting what I said! About half of my working life was spent looking after and educating children ...... I know what I'm talking about. You say you were 13 when you were playing this game, I was thinking of children quite a bit younger than that.  Re-reading what you wrote, I think you're being unnecessarily facetious at the start of your post ......... which is a shame because reading further on, it's obvious that you are genuinely concerned about the way so many children are left to bring themselves up. (Perhaps I simply didn't get your joke?)

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#20    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 10 October 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

idk i never met a kid when i was younger that thought pokemon was real, but if the show is so bad then let the parents censor it from their kids.

I didn't explain myself clearly: of course children will say they know that Pokemon isn't real, but what I am saying is that once the information is in the brain, whether it's fuzzy animals fighting on a screen or their own parents fighting, the brain can't distinguish between the two. So, if a child spends all it's time looking at fighting(real or imaginary), it is likely that this will either affect the behaviour of the child directly(depending on the nature of the child), or will affect it's view of the world and the level of violence it finds acceptable there. This effect will be increased if parents show approval of the games and act as if the content is acceptable.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#21    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostRobert1, on 10 October 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity, is there anything in society that PETA does like?

There's an awful lot of bad stuff in the world!

#22    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well my kids are 20 and 21 so it's too late for them.  They still play this game.  Black and White.

#23    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,448 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

I get sick of PETA, they can go overboard sometimes.

In this case they are afraid this will teach kids that treating animals badly is fine and it could.  Wouldn't have to be that way if parents would explain to them cartoons aren't real life and know what their kids are looking at.

#24    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,827 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostBavarian Raven, on 10 October 2012 - 09:51 PM, said:

Something we agree on imaginary number :clap:

There had to be at least one thing! :tu:

THat being said, it's people like PETA and Greenpeace that give environmentalists bad reps. :td:

Very true. I'm all about animal and environmental conservation. I also don't have to attack things like pokemon to do it. I volunteer at the local wildlife shelter. I've seen a lot of messed up animals come in there, including ones that people have injured, but I've never seen or even heard of an animal being injured because of pokemon.

government funding

I believe that the majority of their funding comes from donations and grants.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#25    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• 1,164 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

We are turning into a bunch of tutu wearing softies ...

I seem to recall as a kid watching cartoons like the road runner , bugs bunny etc etc , I seem to recall the coyote getting run over , burned , shot ,chopped into peices and blown up , we knew the difference between whats real and whats not .

Like Biff said - its up too the parents to teach the kids right and wrong , not to lay the blame on a computer game .

TiP.

The people who post in the fun and games section have a serious problem with gerbils, this includes and is not limited to Helen, JC and Oversword - they need to seek professional help stat.

#26    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,266 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

View Posttipotep, on 11 October 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

We are turning into a bunch of tutu wearing softies ...

I seem to recall as a kid watching cartoons like the road runner , bugs bunny etc etc , I seem to recall the coyote getting run over , burned , shot ,chopped into peices and blown up , we knew the difference between whats real and whats not .

Like Biff said - its up too the parents to teach the kids right and wrong , not to lay the blame on a computer game .

TiP.

Funnily enough Road Runners is still going, the same style of Coyote gets squashed humour. These day it is a CGI rendered cartoon rather than hand drawn though...

I think PETA's issue is that in Pokemon you force the animals to fight each other, like Dog fighting etc. In the classic cartoons they are just playing out rolls that appear in nature (Hunter vs Prey). Not that I am on PETAs side of this discussion, just pointing out what I think there disagreement is with.

You are spot on about the parents, unfortunately with modern parenting skills seeming to be a bit lacking these day's it leaves room for organisations like PETA to go overboard with what they deem to be right or wrong.

Edited by Junior Chubb, 11 October 2012 - 08:58 AM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#27    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

PETA is a joke a big joke. PETA puts more animal to sleep than any shelter. If it was up to PETA we would all be Vegans.

#28    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

This is like when stupid parents blame video games like Grand Theft Auto etc for their children turning out to be nutjobs.

Nothing to do with a game or fictional world.

PETA could be a really good organisation if they used the amount of money they get for real issues with animals.

They sent my housemate a letter (2 times in fact) with a 5p in the envelope. It pretty much said you cna have this 5p but these animals need it etc.

Yeah send my housemate who joint with me is struggling to pay bills and eat letters like this, I bet they don't send these ******* letters to rich people. Try to guilt trip people who are struggling, that is the problem with charities they aim to get money from the people who don't have it. While people like P Diddy drive around in like 6 or 7 difference cars.

Does my head in.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#29    Littlehawk

Littlehawk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

• "The Great Lie is that THIS is civilization. Or if it IS civilization, the Great Lie is that it is good for us". - John Trudell

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:06 PM

Peta are a bunch of hypocrites. They are so far "left" that they've gone all the way around to the right. They are a joke. I'm an animal lover and a nature lover, but they go way too far.

#30    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,266 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

View PostCoffey, on 11 October 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

PETA could be a really good organisation if they used the amount of money they get for real issues with animals.

Spot on... :tu:

View PostLittlehawk, on 11 October 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

They are so far "left" that they've gone all the way around to the right.

Well the world is round...  ;)

You are both right though, they do seem to be seen as more of a joke these days (I am sure they are taken very seriously in some corners of the web though). It all seems a little bit like 'the boy who cried wolf' to me...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users