Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life and Death on the Bounty

Q-C

I wasn't sure where to put this story.

I am not downgrading this horrible tragedy at all, and I hope they find answers to the "Why".

But I would give almost anything to crew on a ship like this, in "rough" seas too. Sans hurricane-like weather. :(

I am surprised at the use of a predominantly novice crew, though.

When my daughter visited the replica of Columbus' Nina and Pinta, she said you could sign up to crew too.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/03/us/bounty/

• Like 2

That would be so horrible being on a boat that is about to sink in a hurricane, scary knowing you might die.

I kind of wonder why a captain would choose to sail into a hurricane.

Edited by Hilander
  • Like 1

That would be so horrible being a boat that is about to sink in a hurricane, scary knowing you might die.

I kind of wonder why a captain would choose to sail into a hurricane.

Yes. "The Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board are expected to issue final reports on their investigation as soon as the end of the year."

• Like 2

Wow. Thanks for posting this! A great, yet sad read. One of my greatest fears is drowning and I for one could never go on a ship.

Especially after I found out about rogue waves....water scares the check out of me...

• Like 1

Large bodies of water scare me too. It would be so horrible being on a ship that is about to sink. Thinking about drowning or sharks. Makes me think about the Titanic.

• Like 1

Yes. "The Coast Guard and the National Transportation Safety Board are expected to issue final reports on their investigation as soon as the end of the year."

I agree with Hilander why would a captain sail into a hurricane like Sandy??

That's just not very bright....

• Like 1

Large bodies of water scare me too. It would be so horrible being on a ship that is about to sink. Thinking about drowning or sharks. Makes me think about the Titanic.

I know!! Just scares me to think about drowning on a boat at sea.....

• Like 1

I agree with Hilander why would a captain sail into a hurricane like Sandy??

That's just not very bright....

Really makes me wonder what was on his mind. It was well known it was a really large storm.

I just finished reading it. Terrifying. And so many questions.

I'm so glad the remaining crew still embrace their love for the sea and tall ships!

I got a kick out of them meeting at Tybee Island and taking turns sailing on a 14-foot Sunfish sailboat. Good for them!

(Tybee Island an Sunfish sailboats both hold special memories for me)

Edited by QuiteContrary

The ship was up for sail, oops I mean sale ($4mil) when it floundered and was always one of my favorite lottery fantasy's. The best way to see the ship is watch(re-watch) the movie. There are some great shots of her for sure.