Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Are video games good for your brain ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    kannin

kannin

Punisher of the wicked

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

• the secret to change is to focus all of your energy,not fighting the old, but building the new

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

yay if i play black ops i can survive a zombie outbreak! O.o

#17    Whisperer

Whisperer

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

• "Never challenge the Universe for it will respond"

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

View PostRichardRoma, on 01 November 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

It's probably bad for the eyes though.

Your right there, I have been using computers for 12 odd years and my eyesight is now atrocious..
I make  interactive books, games and vids and things like that and had to buy 3 different specs at $NZ1200 each time....

I be Ra...The river of life, the ebb and flow of summer tides...
Make not an image of me, nor offer unto me the limitations of form...
For I be Soul....and I will not be limited...

#18    baro67

baro67

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 116 posts

• That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:56 AM

I bet that if instead of Super Mario 64 they had chosen a game like Carmaggedon results would not have been the same lol

#19    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Well, I'll have a reason as to why I didn't study for my big exam now...

#20    BaneSilvermoon

BaneSilvermoon

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

• "You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into."

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:57 AM

View PostEtherialNight, on 31 October 2013 - 07:52 PM, said:

Most of the gaming addicts I have met or know {I live with one} has shown very little social skills {an inability to socialize with others or generally get along with others}, the attention span of a goldfish, has pronounced emotional immaturity {throwing tantrums like small children} and often has anger management issues.

This is the individual, not the activities they choose. I perhaps fit the poor social skills part, though I get along with people fine, just awkwardly. However compared to others I've met in my life I have a very high patience level and attention span. I work in production services in IT of a major payroll company. Minor programming, lots of operations and sifting through code problem solving errors. Patience is a requirement of the job.

I find your description fits better with people who are not so much gamers, as they are someone who found a single game they are attached to and can't pull themselves away from. People who only play CoD or Warcraft. I guess this has always somehow seemed a different category in my mind. The difference between someone who is into sports, and someone who obsesses over their one football team and doesn't really care about sports outside of that.

View Postmumanster, on 02 November 2013 - 02:11 AM, said:

Your right there, I have been using computers for 12 odd years and my eyesight is now atrocious..
I make  interactive books, games and vids and things like that and had to buy 3 different specs at $NZ1200 each time....

Most of the eye problems with screens came from old CRT monitors that were constantly refreshing an image. If you video the old screens and slow it down you'd see a constant flash of light, usually 60-80 times a second (depending on refresh rate.) LCD screens don't have that same behavior as they are mechanically very different, and as such are also much easier on the eyes. Though there may be something to be said about focusing your eyes on a two dimensional object for long periods.

http://www.youtube.c.../BaneSIlvermoon

"Psychic Fayre cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances"  ~Thanks Oppono Astos!!

#21    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:47 AM

There is nothing wrong with gaming,I play games and I play online.

The secret is as some have already said is moderation.I put my Wife and marriage first and when I do play, I play in short sessions and remain firmly planted in the Real world.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#22    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,696 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:38 AM

It depends on what is considered beneficial and at what cost?

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#23    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,698 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

View Postbaro67, on 31 October 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

The viedogames have been blamed for years as the main root cause of the worst imaginable pulses in the young people, and now suddenly discovers that are good for the brain..but please..
Before video games it was Dungeons and Dragons and violent Movies that made kids Crazy.

I do have a friend who lost a whole Semester of college due to Diablo II.

It is said that kids that played video games are much better soldiers. They have better reaction times and have familiarity with many military situations. Also tanks, fighter planes, drones and whatnot all drive like a video game now.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users