Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Forum update progress

update

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

In the near future we will be updating the forums to a newer version of Invision Board, a move that will bring with it a new modern layout and a significant number of feature changes and additions. A date for this update hasn't been confirmed yet as the new template is still being worked on, more specific details about our update schedule will be posted nearer the time.

As a preview here are a few of the changes that you can expect to see with this update:

Topic tags
In addition to a regular topic description there will be the option to add tags to a thread you create. These are beneficial because they help your thread to be indexed in the search system for relevant keywords. A new "related threads" content block will also be displayed underneath topics that list threads with similar tags, this both helps users find content they are interested in and nets your own threads more exposure.

Like system
We've had a few requests for this and it's finally coming - members will have the option to 'like' individual forum posts which gives you the opportunity to give a post the thumbs up without needing to post a direct response. The total number of 'likes' your posts receive is also counted up and displayed in your profile, a new tab will be available to view all the 'likes' you have given or received and on which posts. It is not possible to negatively rate a post which means that this system is reserved purely for giving recognition to quality posts and contributions.

Streamlined profiles
Profile pages have been redesigned, status updates and profile comments have been combined to form a single 'profile feed' system that can be updated from anywhere on the forums via a drop-down menu at the top of the page. Profile photos and avatars will also be combined in to a single 'profile image' option, when the update goes ahead this will default to your current avatar image and can then be changed to whatever you like after that.

New chat room
We will be moving away from our current Flash based chat room to a more user-friendly chat that is integrated in to the forum. What this means is that you won't need to log in to the chat separately any more and the room will use your forum profile directly. Quite a few members have had difficulties getting the Flash chat room to work so this change should solve these issues.

On top of these changes there will be a significant number of graphical, design and layout changes aimed at modernising the forums and keeping things quick and easy to use. A number of under-the-hood changes are also being made to improve page load times and general performance.

One other thing that we wanted to give you a heads up on is that with this update we will be dropping support for Internet Explorer 6. While the new forum version will be accessible on IE6 it won't look or work too great, if you are still using IE6 we strongly recommend either updating to a newer version of Internet Explorer or switching to any one of a number of free alternative modern browsers such as Firefox, Chrome or Safari.

More details on the scheduled upgrade date to follow soon.

Update: The forum upgrade will take place on Saturday, April 28th.

Edited by Saru, 28 April 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Will these new features be capable of being used with threads that all ready exist, or will they only be capable of being used for topics created after the update?

Also, will any of these changes cause old posts to have their currently displayed format altered (or "messed up").

I have seen some forums where after a change was made the tags and everything used when one is creating a post become viewable as part of the displayed message (although these instances have occurred on forums that aren't nearly as well run or established as this site is).

Edited by Angel Left Wing, 20 April 2012 - 02:58 PM.

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Angel Left Wing said:

Will these new features be capable of being used with threads that all ready exist, or will they only be capable of being used for topics created after the update?
While you won't be able to go back and edit tags in to old threads, the changes do apply to all topics and posts. You'll be able to 'like' posts in threads that were around before the update for example.

Angel Left Wing said:

Also, will any of these changes cause old posts to have their currently displayed format altered (or "messed up").
No, this update won't mess up any of the existing forum content.

Angel Left Wing said:

I have seen some forums where after a change was made the tags and everything used when one is creating a post become viewable as part of the displayed message (although these instances have occurred on forums that aren't nearly as well run or established as this site is).
There won't be any issues like this, the tags won't interfere with the existing thread contents.

#4    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

It sounds excellent then. :tu:

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:22 PM

Owwww......sounds like fun

Miss me?

#6    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Good news.  One question I have:  Will there be support for iPads to upload images?  currently this is not possible and more often than not I am accessing the site through Safari on an iPad.

#7    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

Unfortunately no, it won't be possible to upload files to the forum from an iPad.

#8    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:24 PM

I am not asking for a big bite, though, will the new promised chat system will still be using an upgraded version of the present flash chat software in place, or will it totally be revamped? And, it wont be a shout box, right?

Posted Image

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

The chat system we will be using is not a version of the Flashchat software, it won't use Flash at all, nor will it be a shoutbox.

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Update:

The upgrade will be taking place on Saturday, April 28th from around 9am GMT; the forums will be off-line for several hours while the database is updated and the new forum software is implemented. There will also be a period of downtime for the chat room following the update while we switch over to the new chat software, while we're hoping to have the chat room back up on the same day it may take longer depending on how things go.

#11    Angelicon

Angelicon

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

Nooooooooooooooo! A day without U-M!!! What am I gonna do?!  :cry:

#12    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,474 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostSaru, on 20 April 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

In the near future we will be updating the forums to a newer version of Invision Board, a move that will bring with it a new modern layout and a significant number of feature changes and additions. A date for this update hasn't been confirmed yet as the new template is still being worked on, more specific details about our update schedule will be posted nearer the time.

Like system
We've had a few requests for this and it's finally coming - members will have the option to 'like' individual forum posts which gives you the opportunity to give a post the thumbs up without needing to post a direct response. The total number of 'likes' your posts receive is also counted up and displayed in your profile, a new tab will be available to view all the 'likes' you have given or received and on which posts. It is not possible to negatively rate a post which means that this system is reserved purely for giving recognition to quality posts and contributions.
Beg pardon for asking questions, but this will only be on the profile page? In some places this is used, it can be rather a popularity contest; "I have 3240 Likes, and that person only has 2", kind of thing. Will this total be accessible to all?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#13    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

View Post747400, on 25 April 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Beg pardon for asking questions, but this will only be on the profile page? In some places this is used, it can be rather a popularity contest; "I have 3240 Likes, and that person only has 2", kind of thing. Will this total be accessible to all?
Anyone can view another member's likes on their profile page, however remember it's a person's posts that receive likes rather than the member themselves - it isn't their profile that is being liked but their contributions to the forums.

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,002 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

3 days to go - getting excited and looking forward to checking out the new UM.  Thank you Saru for your continued dedication to making this simply the best Forum on the net :)

Edited by libstaK, 25 April 2012 - 11:44 AM.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,799 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, hopefully when my baby forum (nothing near as broad as UM) grows up, it will be just as good as UM. Looking forward to the new and exciting as well.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users