Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Myths busted, hoaxes exposed.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

As much as I enjoy the mysteries and and cool stories we hear about here at UM, it can also be important to be able to separate the nonsense from the "real deal",  if there is such a thing.

Fakebusters!   Can you see why some of the world's best monster photos are really frauds and hoaxes?

http://www.creationt...om/dinocam.html

Edited by Hazzard, 15 April 2013 - 11:42 AM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

good site, thanks for sharing ^^

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    Codenwarra

Codenwarra

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. (Mencken)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

Regarding the faked UFO picture, the compiler of the page says,

" And if a UFO photo contains a real car, people can enlarge and improve the picture and adjust it until they can read the vehicle's license plate. When you track down the driver of this car, who was driving to church on a Sunday morning, you find there was no UFO in the sky at the time."

The problem with this is that in Queensland, as in other Australian states, the owners of cars cannot be identified from the registration (licence) plate by the general public.  Police can do it, and very quickly, but unless you know a cop who is willing to bend the rules or you happen to know the car, you can't do it.

Not saying the photo is real of course.

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trying to drive traffic to a Young Earth Creationist website?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    BlueBomber

BlueBomber

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Access denied. Your IP address [64.223.177.251] is blacklisted. If you feel this is in error please contact your hosting providers abuse department

Guess I can't get on from work :lol:

A skeptical believer.

#6    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

View PostRafterman, on 15 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Why do I get the feeling that someone is just trying to drive traffic to a Young Earth Creationist website?

Good, it's not just me. There's a section on how becoming a church-going born again Christian has been scientifically proven to give you better health and more successful careers. Confusingly, it seems to imply that Christianity is the only religion and your only other choice is atheism.

#7    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 2,861 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

My gut feeling upon looking at that website is that there is crankery of some sort behind.  Cranks always have horrible looking websites, as if a 12 year old designed it in 1995.

Despite what they say about dinosaur photos and bust some of the stupider creationist myths (like NASA proving the story of Joshua and the sun standing still true), it's just a Christian website promoting the Bible and anti-evolution.

They have whole sections devoted to anti-evolution garbage, trying to defend the Noah's Ark myth, preaching about finding God, etc.

Edited by Archimedes, 15 April 2013 - 04:41 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#8    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 15 April 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

My gut feeling upon looking at that website is that there is crankery of some sort behind.  Cranks always have horrible looking websites, as if a 12 year old designed it in 1995.

Many crank sites appear to have stolen the simple format of other popular sites back in 1995 when they found out about the Internet and have just kept on using it year after year because they know they can keep typing in stuff without breaking it. Especially popular are the list of links centered down the middle of the screen in random font sizes and colors.

#9    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Its actually an interesting site. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#10    Vidgange

Vidgange

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a sticky post in the cryptid forum with confirmed hoax and fakes? So that whenever we see something on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, we just come here and have a quick look?

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#11    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostVidgange, on 16 April 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have a sticky post in the cryptid forum with confirmed hoax and fakes? So that whenever we see something on youtube, or anywhere else for that matter, we just come here and have a quick look?

Thats what I was thinking,... slinging the creationists BS was by no means the intent.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#12    danbell06

danbell06

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 322 posts

• BNAG.... < That's Bang out of order!

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Thats a great idea! Who would we have to ask about this? Theres no stickies on any of the boards on here that i am aware of.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
Posted Image

#13    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostHazzard, on 16 April 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

Thats what I was thinking,... slinging the creationists BS was by no means the intent.

I didn't think it was Hazzard, not really your "thing" as far as I know.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#14    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,484 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostHazzard, on 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

As much as I enjoy the mysteries and and cool stories we hear about here at UM, it can also be important to be able to separate the nonsense from the "real deal",  if there is such a thing.

Fakebusters!   Can you see why some of the world's best monster photos are really frauds and hoaxes?

http://www.creationt...om/dinocam.html

Good topic..... We need more threads that exposes the myriad of hoaxes out there. God knows we have the exact opposite all around us.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#15    Domina Lucis

Domina Lucis

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• "I'm not dead, so I'm obviously doing something right."

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:41 AM

I actually kind of like this idea. So new members who come here and want to talk about something that's already been debunked/proven to be fake can be directed there. I just wonder how we would organize it.

To the subject of hoaxes and fakes, there are quite a few out there. The Surgeon's Photograph of Nessie is supposed to be a fake. There's also the hippo swallows a dwarf hoax or something like that.

Posted Image

Domina Lucis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users