Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Illinois Swims in Atomic Waste

questionmark

Illinois utility customers have paid the U.S. government $1.9 billion to store spent nuclear fuel and the state is still sitting on the nation’s biggest pile of atomic waste. Now a court wants the Obama administration to justify collecting more money for storage that doesn’t exist.

The BGOV Barometer shows the location of 69,644 tons of radioactive nuclear waste accumulating at power plants, with more than a tenth of it in Illinois. Duke Energy Corp. (DUK)’s Oconee plant west of Greenville, South Carolina, has the most spent fuel, according to Bloomberg calculations based on data from the Union of Concerned Scientists and the Nuclear Energy Institute.

The U.S. Department of Energy is approaching a Jan. 18 deadline a U.S. Court of Appeals set for it to justify continuing to collect $750 million a year towards a permanent depository when none is being developed. In 30 years, the government has collected more than $30 billion in payments and interest for a waste storage facility, according to the National Association of Regulatory Utility

Read more

How was that: Atomic power for a radiating and pollution free future?

Or maybe I quoted something wrong here....

How was that: Atomic power for a radiating and pollution free future?

Or maybe I quoted something wrong here....

It only makes sense. Illinois has more nuclear power plants that anywhere else in the US.

Why not? Most of the country drinks toxic industrial waste right from the tap. And we call it one of the top 10 medical advancements of modern times.

• Like 1

That would explain a lot.....

I bet we can talk China into buying it from us...

Don't think so, they don't want our waste, they want our jobs.

Don't think so, they don't want our waste, they want our jobs.

I'm sure they can find a way to stick the waste into the products we are buying from them :)

• Like 1

Illinois, obama's home turf.

because nuclear plants built 30 years ago when he was not even in government are his fault. Right...

because nuclear plants built 30 years ago when he was not even in government are his fault. Right...

Now, you are not going to dispute that he also caused the Great San Francisco Earthquake in 1906, are you?

Actually perhaps finding some very remote place in the Gobi Desert to store nuclear waste for the entire world wouldn't be a bad idea.

Actually perhaps finding some very remote place in the Gobi Desert to store nuclear waste for the entire world wouldn't be a bad idea.

It always is, what goes around comes around. Most of that waste has to be watched for hundreds of years... at the expense of all.