Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black hole generator not a threat

UM-Bot

news icon rScientists may be able to generate a black hole as often as every second when the world's most powerful particle accelerator comes online in 2007.

This potential "black hole factory" has raised fears that a stray black hole could devour our planet whole.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Fox News

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShaunZero

• AtlantisRises

• Blizno

• AnsonEinstein

Miniscule? Exactly what is their definition of that? Why isn't this being over seen by somebody's government?? Now this is scary. :blink:

Miniscule? Exactly what is their definition of that? Why isn't this being over seen by somebody's government?? Now this is scary. :blink:

'Miniscule' is a huge understatement. Remember that naturally occuring black holes have an insane amount of mass crammed in to tiny spaces, whereas these artifical ones have an extremely small mass.

This is from the article:

For one thing, theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking calculated all black holes should emit radiation, and that tiny black holes should lose more mass than they absorb, evaporating within a billionth of a trillionth of a trillionth of a second, "before they could gobble up any significant amount of matter," Landsberg said.

Either way, I'm not too concerned. I can't think of a better way to go then to be consumed by a black hole. :P

Edited by Raptor X7

wow, this black hole research comes a bit too fast imo...

but then, who knows...

Shouldn't everyone on Earth have a say on whether an experiment like this should happen? Sure, let's make black holes but he** no to gene experimentation and human cloning.

Shouldn't everyone on Earth have a say on whether an experiment like this should happen? Sure, let's make black holes but he** no to gene experimentation and human cloning.

If there was any risk at all they wouldn't go through with it. As far as I can tell, all supposed threats posed are born out of misconceptions.

Edited by Raptor X7

In order for a black hole to be dangerous it would need a huge gravitational field, aka an insane mass. They cannot produce that with a mere 17 mile long accellerator.

So I expect no danger from this research.

A black hole is a black hole. How much do we 'think' we know about them?

Again it's vanity and it will destroy us all. But this new generater sounds prett :mellow: y cool.

If a black hole does form and its starts sucking in matter like the film PHILIDELPHIA EXPERIMENT, perfect solution is we should get vanessa feltz and bung her in it, that will stop it. :tu:

This sounds familiar, at least to me......I remember reading about John Titor and him saying that soon CERN will discover ways to create black holes, and that they would discover very odd things as a result of their high energy expiriments....anyone else know what im talking about lol

So, theoretically, if Hawking's theory is disproven by this, and the black hole stays a while longer than expected, and a magnet, which helps hold the black hole, malfunctions...the black hole won't be suspended any longer and falls to the container holding it and starts eating away until it falls to the center of the Earth, making a miniscle hole all the way down. Then, it starts consuming more and more until the planet disintegrates. Theoretically saying.

But then again, it SHOULD work. Right?

:P All you guys are missing the BIG PICTURE! The U.S. is making and storing black holes to use as a Super weapon. In stead of blowing up our enemies , we drop small black holes that that will Suck our enemies in to another Universe. Then when the holes "evaporate" , we go in and take all the oil.

Iran and Venezuela will be ours! :wacko::yes:

(Now watch some one take me seriously!)

I've known about this machine for about 4 years now. There are actually 2 of these. The other is a wormhole generator.

Let’s look at some VERY real and serious dangers here:

OOOO!! Yay!! We can make black holes and worm holes now. WHY!!!!!!! What kind of significant purpose can this possibly serve!!!!! These freaks are so consumed with weather or not they can do something they don't stop and think if they should!!! Do we really need this kind of thing on Earth?? Seriously folks!! Do we?? Does anyone here know what is a VERY bad side effect from creating black holes and worm holes?? The side effect is called ANTIMATTER!! WOOHOO!!! YAY!! Let’s make ANTIMATTER!!! All of you should know the absolute retardation here!! What exactly do you think antimatter can do on this or any planet??? Buckle your seatbelts folks!! Earth is going bye bye!! And who is going to stop some war lord retard from putting a gun barrel on the end of these machines, and make a black hole cannon?? Or we can forget about black holes and worm holes and go right to antimatter particle accelerators! All you'd have to do is find a way to trap it in its excited state. Much like a bromide powered laser. Having bromide locked in it's excited state within an argon matrix. Thus producing a beam hotter than the surface of the sun.(pretty purple light) If any of you have studied the slightest bit of astro physics and cosmology, you should know the dangers here!! Ya, fine, make tiny black holes...... YAY! We can make them now. Whets next?? OOOO!! Let's see how much bigger we can make them!!! Let’s see if we can wipe out an entire planet!!! Pluto isn't a planet any more; we can do with out this pesky little celestial body. This is where these tarts are heading...... These people should stick to destroying themselves and everything around them with our old conventional means. At least the planet will still be here once the human race eradicates itself. And it will then cleans itself, and life will be rebuilt again. And these people actually call themselves "scientists"........

Knowledge, wisdom, creation, and discovery all comes with a huge amount of responsibility. Not only to yourself, but everyone and everything that what ever it is you create or discover can possibly affect. These "scientists" have NO sense of responsibility, honor or respect at all.....

Edited by UtahRaptor

:P All you guys are missing the BIG PICTURE! The U.S. is making and storing black holes to use as a Super weapon. In stead of blowing up our enemies , we drop small black holes that that will Suck our enemies in to another Universe. Then when the holes "evaporate" , we go in and take all the oil.

Iran and Venezuela will be ours! :wacko::yes:

(Now watch some one take me seriously!)

:lol: What a great way to start another conspiracy theory with the U.S. Government and their obsession with oil! :P

its the atom bomb all over again :lol: remeber its just takes one idiot to destroy the earth :P

If a black hole was created, and somehow sustained itself due to human error (Note I do not know much about black holes, Im starting Quatam this year), could a black hole possibly suck in enough matter around us (like the O2), to grow bigger in size and create a downward spiral of doom?

Some people will complain about anything. A group to look out for the safety of the earth? :rolleyes:

Edited by __Kratos__

This sounds familiar, at least to me......I remember reading about John Titor and him saying that soon CERN will discover ways to create black holes, and that they would discover very odd things as a result of their high energy expiriments....anyone else know what im talking about lol

Oh God....John Titor :hmm:

It won't be too long before we can disprove all of his "near-future" predictions...

(continued from previous entry)

I forgot to mention a few things:

Let's just say that there happens to be a slight screw up in a line of code. Or, possibly some other computer glitch, power surge, or some other slight miscalculation..... Instead of some tiny black holes, there now is a big one...... What could you possibly do to attempt to contain it? Another problem is black holes love to become extremely unstable and explode. This does happen sometimes with black holes...... And in light of this, does it really seem like a good idea to have a black hole explode especially with antimatter hanging around? Try and picture the Big Bang happening on Earth..........

Let me answer this question for these "scientists" that have no idea what they are doing.....

HELL F##KING NO!!!!!!!!

Let me now pose a question to everyone else here:

Why is it that we know better than these "scientists"?

Edited by UtahRaptor

Let's just say that there happens to be a slight screw up in a line of code. Or, possibly some other computer glitch, power surge, or some other slight miscalculation..... Instead of some tiny black holes, there now is a big one...... What could you possibly do to attempt to contain it? Another problem is black holes love to become extremely unstable and explode. This does happen sometimes with black holes...... And in light of this, does it really seem like a good idea to have a black hole explode especially with antimatter hanging around? Try and picture the Big Bang happening on Earth..........

Let me answer this question for these "scientists" that have no idea what they are doing.....

HELL F##KING NO!!!!!!!!

The device cannot possibly create a "big" black hole. The amount of energy needed to do so is far beyond human capability.

The amount of antimatter in the device is tiny. It's on the order of a few tens or thousands of particles. If all of that antimatter annihilated itself along with an equal mass of normal matter the explosion would only be detectable with the sensitive instruments made to detect interactions of very tiny masses. Nothing else would happen. In fact, that's exactly what does happen to all of the antimatter created during every run of the device. It's all destroyed by interacting with normal matter. Nothing would be changed by the presence of a tiny black hole.

Edited by blizno

No. Only the knowledgeable should have a say. If you have no real knowledge of what they are doing then what can you give to the debate.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for us to make a big black hole.

A black hole is made up of the matter of an entire collapsed star. there is no way we can ever reproduce the energy required for that. particularly not in a 17 km particle accelerator.

And Black holes do not "Love to become unstable"

I can't think of many things that are MORE stable then a black hole.

Once a black hole is created there is very little that can happen to make it go away.

HELL F##KING NO!!!!!!!!

Let me remind you that you are the one with no idea what they are doing.

You are speaking from completely emotional viewpoint and have no real knowledge of the topic.

If Europe, North America, or Australia do not do it, China will, and so far China has not shown much concern about selling anything to anyone.

Thats true. China is pretty well just as advanced as the rest of the world and they don't have to worry about protest groups and unions top much.