Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Oldest Primate Skeleton Discovered

eocene epoch primate skeleton hubei province

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,880 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

An international team of paleontologists that includes Northern Illinois University anthropologist Dan Gebo is announcing the discovery of a nearly complete, articulated skeleton of a new tiny, tree-dwelling primate dating back 55 million years.

The Eocene Epoch fossil was recovered from Hubei Province in central China.

"This is the oldest primate skeleton of this quality and completeness ever discovered and one of the most primitive primate fossils ever documented," Gebo said. "The origin of primates sets the first milestone for all primate lineages, including that of humanity.

http://www.scienceda...t Science News)

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,280 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

great find, add him to the front of my chart:

Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Tutankhaten-pasheri

Tutankhaten-pasheri

Buratinologist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Well, and I thought we were descended from raccoons, or raccoons were an evolutionary advance on us, or is that felines. A strange world...

#4    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 2,945 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:50 PM

I guess its all in the foot:)

http://www.livescien...discovered.html

#5    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

This is a great find,I wish they had some pictures

#6    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 29,804 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:55 AM

View Postdocyabut2, on 05 June 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

I guess its all in the foot:)

http://www.livescien...discovered.html

Thats a different fossil.

This is an artist's conception of what the newly discovered primate, Archicebus achilles, might have looked like. (Credit: Mat Severson, Northern Illinois University)

The fossil, called Darwinius masillae and said to be a female, provides the most complete understanding of the paleobiology of any primate so far discovered from the Eocene Epoch, Hurum said. An analysis of the fossil mammal is detailed today in the journal PLoS ONE.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#7    Rolci

Rolci

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

So 64 million years ago the dinosaurs died out giving way to the rodents about to evolve, which managed to mutate into a monkey in less that 10 million years on a dust-covered post-apocalyptic planet Earth. And the following 55 million years were spent just perfecting that upright walking. Sounds plausible.

#8    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,908 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostRolci, on 06 June 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

So 64 million years ago the dinosaurs died out giving way to the rodents about to evolve, which managed to mutate into a monkey in less that 10 million years on a dust-covered post-apocalyptic planet Earth. And the following 55 million years were spent just perfecting that upright walking. Sounds plausible.

Mammals have been around for at least 195 million years. Please study the subject if you are going to comment on it.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#9    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I hope the scientist don't windup with egg on their face like the last time they made such a claim get it right this time.

#10    paperdyer

paperdyer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

OK, what's more plasible, all humans came from Africa and they migrated thousands of miles to "mutate"/evelove into our current multi-physical difference forms, or there were many varieties of pre-humans that evolved according to their surroundings?  Of course there's always the God theory and seven days.

Edited by paperdyer, 06 June 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#11    HuntrSThompsun

HuntrSThompsun

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

K, now.. god is in my mind here and I'm just doin a hypothetical devils advocate, where and when did the consiousness of us to believe in an after death god and begin to follow a religion as a whole and what made it .. if I have an open mind as I'm taught in life, how do ppl work the word of god in it? Please answer me honestly

#12    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 2,945 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 06 June 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Thats a different fossil.

This is an artist's conception of what the newly discovered primate, Archicebus achilles, might have looked like. (Credit: Mat Severson, Northern Illinois University)

The fossil, called Darwinius masillae and said to be a female, provides the most complete understanding of the paleobiology of any primate so far discovered from the Eocene Epoch, Hurum said. An analysis of the fossil mammal is detailed today in the journal PLoS ONE.

A foot bone called the talus bone links Ida directly to humans. The species name, Achilles, is an allusion to its interesting heel anatomy and to the mythological Greek warrior, for whom the Achilles tendon (connecting the heel bone to the calf muscle) is named

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users