Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Greatest Sporting event:Olympics or World Cup

AztecInca

Debate suggested by Paranoid Android.

Debate Topics: Which is the biggest and greatest sporting event on the planet? The World Cup or the Olympics?

We are after two participants. One to debate that the World cup is not only the biggest, but the greatest sporting event on the planet, while the other participant will debate that it is in fact the Olympics.

This is a 1v1 formal debate.

It will consist of an Introduction, 5 bodily posts and a conclusion from each participant. No Flaming, bad manners or profantities will be tolerated. Please make sure you quote ALL your sources!

Please be aware that:

There is a point deduction for debaters who fail to make a post within the 7 day time frame. The deductions will be 2 points for every day the participant fails to post after the 7 days.

This is to ensure that debates continue in a timely fashion. If for any reason you cannot post within the 7 days, please ensure that you let myself or Tiddlyjen know to avoid having the points taken off your debate.

If, however the participant does not then attempt to make a post for up to 2 weeks after the 7 day rule has started an immediate disqualification will occur.

Good luck!

Edited by AztecInca

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crazy_Lemons

• Paranoid Android

• AztecInca

• Kryso

Seeing as we're in the grip of World Cup fever, I think I'm going to be disadvantaged, but I'll debate for the Olympics, ok :tu:

Thanks PA!

We are now just looking for one participant to debate that the World Cup is not only the biggest but greatest sporting event on the planet.

^Thank-you Aero_dynamic.

Aero_dynamic will be debating that the World cup is not only the biggest, but the greatest sporting event on the planet while Paranoid Android will debate that it is in fact the Olympics that is the biggest and greatest event around.

Thank you for accepting this debate, Aero Dynamic. Good luck :)

The Olympics is the greatest sporting event in the world, bar none. When put up against the FIFA World Cup, there is no contest. Don’t get me wrong, I love the World Cup. Like many Australians, I woke up at 5am to watch Australia play Croatia in their final group match. Yes, the World Cup is a great event. That is not in question. What is in question is whether it is greater than the Olympics. When we break down the two events, it is clear the Olympics are the greater of the two. Throughout this debate, I shall discuss these main points.

- the greater nationalistic exposure of the Olympics – 32 World Cup nations vs. 200 Olympic nations

- the greater appeal of the Olympics – one sport vs. hundreds of sports/events

- I shall discuss a phenomenon unique to the Olympics, what I will dub the “Moussambani Factor” in honour of Olympic athlete Eric Moussambani.

- the greater historical roots of the Olympics – the Olympics has ties to Ancient Greece. The World Cup goes back to 1930.

- The sheer size of the Olympics – the World Cup has 64 games over the period of 4 weeks. The Olympics has 14 hours a day of continuous television coverage.

As well as addressing these points, I shall also attempt to rebut my opponent’s points. Again, I wish you the best of luck in this debate

Over to you, Aero dynamic :tu:

Good luck Paranoid Android.

The world cup is about football,the worlds greatest sport.Why is it the best sport ever?. It's because football is one of the only sporting events that can make you jump out of your seat in rage or joy and shout at the tv and/or the ref.It's on of the only envents that can make a grown man or women cry.

Don't get me wrong,i love the Olympics,but its to simple.The world cup is much more complex.Eg:

.The qualifying rounds:

World cup:They have to play other people to qualify.

Olympics:Every one enters.

.Starters:

World cup:Group stages:

Team 1 v team 2

Team 3 v team 4

Team 1 v team 3

Team 2 v team 4

Team 1 v team 4

Team 2 v team 3

Olympics:Events start for gold,silver and bronze by the fastest times/best scores going thoughto the finals.

.knock out stage's:

World cup: Last 8= Group winner 1 vgroup 2 runner up (1)

Group 2 winner v group 1 runner up(2)

Group 3 winner v group 4 runner up(3)

Group 4 winner v group 3 runner up(4)

Group 5 winner v group 6 runner up(5)

Group 6 winner v group 5 runner up(6)

Group 7 winner v group 8 runner up(7)

Group 8 winner v group 7 runner up(8)

Quarter-finals= Match 1 winner v match 2 winner(1)

Match 3 winner v match 4 winner(2)

Match 5 winner v match 6 winner(3)

Match 7 winner v match 8 winner(4)

semi finals= Match 1 winner v match 2 winner(1)

Match 3 winner v match 4 winner(2)

Finals= Match 1 winner v match 2 winner(1)

Winner of match 1= World cup winner

Olympics:Fastest times/best scores go though to gold,silver,bronze round.

So thats my reason for why the world cup is the best and greatest sporting event in the world=

.Complex-We don't like it simple(Apart from, well,simple people)

.Makes you happy/sad.

.Makes you shout at the ref as well as other reasons! :w00t:

Edited by Aero_dynamic

Good luck Paranoid Android.

Thank you :tu:

Don't get me wrong,i love the Olympics,but its to simple.The world cup is much more complex.Eg:

…Olympics:Fastest times/best scores go though to gold,silver,bronze round.

I’ll deal more with this in my second post, but for now, I should just like to point out that the Olympics also has team sports (including Football/soccer), and those are based on group phase and knockout rounds. The teams all play each other, and the highest ranked then play off for Gold, Silver and Bronze in a knockout.

Even two-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldinho acknowledges the pride of place of the Olympics in the footballing schedule. In the wake of Brazil’s recent loss to France in the quarterfinals, Ronaldinho is quoted as saying: The Olympics and the World Cup are competitions that are very important and every player would like to do well in them. It’s very sad when we can’t (quoted from the article “Ronaldinho just a pale shadow”, printed in Sydney’s ‘The Daily Telegraph’, Monday, July 3, 2006. pg 33)

World cup: They have to play other people to qualify

Thank you for bringing this up. It leads straight into the first main point of my debate:

Body post 1 – Nationalistic Exposure

The Olympics is the true “world” event. 200 nations took part in the Athens Olympics. A comprehensive list of those nations is available at this site here - Link

Compare this to 32 nations in the World Cup finals. As Aero_dynamic has pointed out, these 32 teams were chosen after extensive culling through qualifying rounds. This does provide the finals with a high quality game, but it also reduces the national exposure of the competition. Teams that do not qualify for the finals are non-entities. No one cares a bit what happens to them.

Senegal set the world alight in 2002 with their enterprising play, and made it to the quarterfinals. Senegal quickly became everyone's second favourite team (or first favourite if their team wasn't in the finals at all. Senegal failed to qualify for the finals this year - no one noticed, except perhaps the population of Senegal. Why is this, except that no one cares about teams beyond the 32 nations that did qualify.

BY contrast, at the Olympics, 200 nations can cheer on their athletes in various sports. 200 nations who can sit back with national pride and say "I'm proud to be an *insert country of origin here*"

For most people, the World Cup becomes just another event. A spectacle for sure, an event worthy of notice, an experience to enjoy, but ultimately an event that has no real significance for the majority of the world. The Olympics keeps its universal appeal. Its nationalism is clear, symbolised by the five intertwining Olympic rings, representing the five parts of the world dedicated to the Olympic spirit of cooperation and healthy competition.

My next post shall elaborate this further, as I discuss the greater appeal that the Olympics has in enveloping multiple sports.

Edited by Paranoid Android

I’ll deal more with this in my second post, but for now, I should just like to point out that the Olympics also has team sports (including Football/soccer), and those are based on group phase and knockout rounds. The teams all play each other, and the highest ranked then play off for Gold, Silver and Bronze in a knockout.

This is true,thanks for pointing it out!

Issue 1:

As Paranoid Android pointed out,the world cup has diffrent teams playing each year,old and new.An examplle of this is that brazil,england,italy,west germany and france are expected to get thought to the finals,but new teams like trinadad and tabago and austraila are expected to be out by the knock out.But this isn't all ways the case,eg:

Group G

.Brasil

.Japan

.Croatia

.Austraila

Expected winners

Winner=Brazil

Runner up= Croatia

Real results

winner=Brazil

Runner up=australia

Eg 2: Expected winners=Brazil

Brazil v Croatia=1-0

Brazil v australia=2-0

Brazil vs japan=4-1

Knock out stages

Last 16:

Brazil vs Ganga=3-0

Quarter finals:

Brazil vs France=0-1

The 2006 world cup is Australia's 1st world cup.

So the world cup is not always the same unlike some events in the olympics and winter.olympics:eg:Ice hockey-canada

the world cup has diffrent teams playing each year,old and new.An examplle of this is that brazil,england,italy,west germany and france are expected to get thought to the finals,but new teams like trinadad and tabago and austraila are expected to be out by the knock out.But this isn't all ways the case,eg:
In other words, the first point of your debate is that there are occasionally upsets?!?!? My friend, favourites don’t always win :no: The World Cup does not have a monopoly on unexpected results. It happens all the time.

The 2006 world cup is Australia's 1st world cup.
It’s only a minor point, but it is in fact Australia’s second Cup (they qualified in 1974).

So the world cup is not always the same unlike some events in the olympics and winter.olympics:eg:Ice hockey-canada
The key phrase is "some events". There are always upset victories, maybe not in Ice Hockey, but in plenty of other sports. Again you’ve given me a perfect comment to break into the main point of my post – thank you :D

Body Post 2 – One Many Sports

As great as the World Cup is, it is still only one sport. The Olympics span 35 sports and over 400 separate events.

Summer sports:

Aquatics

Archery

Athletics

Badminton

Baseball

Basketball

Boxing

Canoe / kayak

Cycling

Equestrian

Fencing

Football

Gymnastics

Handball

Hockey

Judo

Modern Pentathlon

Rowing

Sailing

Shooting

Softball

Table Tennis

Taekwondo

Tennis

Triathlon

Volleyball

Weightlifting

Wrestling

Winter sports:

Biathlon

Bobsleigh

Curling

Ice Hockey

Luge

Skating

Skiing

Source

These sports don’t include their specific events (100m or 200m sprint for example, or Freestyle, Butterfly or Backstroke).

As you can see through this list, the Olympics has a greater universal appeal through catering to more people’s interests. The World Cup caters to soccer fans. What of those who don’t like soccer? What interest does the World Cup hold for someone who doesn’t like the sport? Mostly, none. Step up Mr. Olympics. The appeal of having 35 different sports is obvious. Don’t like soccer, watch the swimming or the shooting or the horses or the hockey or the basketball or the tennis or… you get the idea. Of course, if you do enjoy soccer, you can watch that also at the Olympics.

My next post shall discuss the importance of winning and losing (or is it about how you play the game???) in relation to the Olympics and the World Cup.

In other words, the first point of your debate is that there are occasionally upsets?!?!? My friend, favourites don’t always win :no: The World Cup does not have a monopoly on unexpected results. It happens all the time.

Cup.

Thats what i mean,Every one has a chance,even if it is small.

Issue 2:Similarities and diffrentces.

Ok,lets just take a brake for a moment and lets look at the differences and similarities.

Similarities

.Its on every 4 years.

.They both have spin offs Eg:

World cup= Euro cup,afracian cup of nations,ect...

Olympics=winter and paralympics ,ect...

.Every one wants to win it and if they don't there heart broken.

Differences

.Olympics:

.They play for gold sivler and gold trophies-this is good because 3 people can 'win' a medal but it takes out the uniqualty of winning.(7/10)

.As Paranoid Android wrightly said,the olympics has 35+ events-Good if you don't like 1 sport but less qualtily/spacilty on the events.(7/10)

.No quailyfing rounds-Good Because evey ones in voled but bad a less quatily rounds(6/10)

.Started in acient greece 1000's of years ago-Great because it's a tradion started in one of the greated civazions on earth!But some might agrue that its old and needs to be updated. (10/10)

World cup:

.1 sport only-football!-Good because football is the worlds Favortate,with diffrent styles Eg:Brazilan stlye,European style,ect... but bad because if you don't like football,your stuffed!(9/10)

.1 cup-winner takes all(8/10)-less 'winners' but makes it rarer to get.

.No winter version(6/10)-Good because the brits are cr*p at winter sports!But on the other side of the coin makes it fell restriced to summer.

.No 2nd chance to next year-(7/10)Good because it makes it rarer to get the world cup.

.Foot ball songs!(10/10)-Some great tunes like 3 lions on the shirt,on the ball,vindaloo and that football frenzy song!As well as some othersgreat songs!

Results

Using the scores at the side of the point i have avaged them out(add them toghter and divided by the number of points) and the results are:

Olympics:Adverge score of- 17.33r

world cup:advarage score of- 23.5

When you think of the points I didn't think of for both sides then theres not a lot in it,but arcoring to tthe results,the world cup better! :wacko:

(7/10) (7/10) (6/10) (10/10) (8/10)……

Ok. Thanks for that. I’m not entirely sure what system you are using to rank the Olympics and World Cup. You’ve brought up some interesting points, I’d like to see a little more detail on them, and how you came to these numbers. Until then, I’ll just take this rank as your subjective opinion of the two events :tu:

Every one wants to win it and if they don't there heart broken.
This is not necessarily true. It’s not always about winning and losing. Of course, people want to win, it’s natural human instinct, but the Olympics transcend the pettiness of winners and losers. Nowhere is this more evident than in the case of Olympic athlete Eric Moussambani.

Body post 3 – the Moussambani Factor

Eric Moussambani represented the tiny nation of Equatorial Guinea at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. Taking on the world’s best in swimming the prestigious 100 metre freestyle event, Moussambani clocked just under 2 minutes – the respectable time of 1:52:72. It was one of the slowest times in Olympic history (and longer than most 200m races).

But that was expected. Eric Moussambani (dubbed “Eric the Eel” by the media) represented, as I stated, the nation of Equatorial Guinea, a tiny country located on the west coast of Africa, and bordered by Cameroon and Gabon. It has no rivers, oceans or streams, and “before coming to the Olympics, Moussambani had never seen a 50 m pool. He took up swimming only 8 months before the Olympics and had practised in a 20 m pool” (Source).

To see video of the race, click this link –

. My apologies for the audio, I was unable to find a video link in English. The event is still the same however.

Making this feat even more courageous was the two scheduled racers with him both were disqualified for early dives. Moussambani swam alone. Far from being ridiculed, and far from feeling ashamed at clocking such a slow time, he became a hero of the 2000 Olympics. The crowd cheered for him as if he’d won the final. “Ah, that’s what the Olympics are all about” claimed the BBC commentator calling the “race” (Source).

Compare this to the World Cup. It is solely results driven. The competition is fierce, the games tight. This makes for great competition. But sport shouldn’t be about results. It’s about having fun. About doing your best. The old cliché “it’s not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game that’s important”. The World Cup does not make this distinction, and as a result cheating to get the result is not unheard of - commonplace even (diving in the penalty box, for example). That’s what happens when the focus of sport is on results.

The Olympics is a sporting event, and is ultimately about winning and losing. But it is so much more than that. The spirit of competition is not only between other competitors but also against oneself. Eric embodied this spirit, and earned his place in Olympic folklore.

Congratulations Eric. You did yourself and your nation proud :tu:

Wow you learn somthing every day! :D

Issue 3:Football-the worlds greatsest sport.

Foot ball is the world greastest sport.How can i prove it,well go and ask on the street.But if your like me,lazy,then just read below.

Evidance

Ok lets start with the 2006 world cup.Paranoid Android said that the world cup is only made up of 32 teams,which is true,but thats just the tip of the ice berge,In the 2006 world cup, 207 teams have competed to qualify for the World Cup Finals, and 78 nations have qualified at least once. Of these, only eleven have made it to the final match, and only seven have won*. A map of the contries can be seen at here*sorce wikimedi (here)

A passage from wikimedi tells alll...

Association football, soccer, or simply football, is a team sport played between two teams each consisting of 11 players and is widely considered to be the most popular sport in the world. It is a ball game played on a rectangular grass field (or occasionally on an artificial pitch) with a goal at each end. The object of the game is to score by manoeuvring the ball into the opposing goal. The predominant feature of the sport is that players other than the goalkeepers may not use their hands or arms to propel the ball in general play. The winner is the team that has scored more goals at the end of the match.

To back this up,each conanent has it own assosation:

Asia: Asian Football Confederation (AFC)

Africa: Confederation of African Football (CAF)

Central/North America & Caribbean: Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF; also known as The Football Confederation)

Europe: Union of European Football Associations (UEFA)

Oceania: Oceania Football Confederation (OFC)

South America: Confederación Sudamericana de Fútbol (South American Football Confederation; CONMEBOL)

I'm sorry,i know it's not my turn but because the world cup has just ended and some people still don't know how the world cup works, i need to post now while i remember. :blush:

Help:Game play

Ok,the world cup has just ended,but some people still don't know how the world cup works.,so just take a minute to see how it works with the 2006 fifa world cup results...

Group A

Gremany

Poland -- Winner=Gremany

Costa rica --Runner up=Equador

Equador

Group B--------------England vs Equador(1-0)

---------------------------------------Germany vs Sweden(2-0)

England

Paraguy--Winner=England :tu:

Sweden--Runner up=Sweden

Trinadad & Tobago

Group C

Argentina

Neverlands--Winner=Argentina-----------Neverlands vs Pourgal(0-1)

Cote d'lvoire--Runner up=Neverlands----Mexico vs argentina (2-1)

Serbia and montenegro

Group D

Mexico

Angola--Winner=Portugal :angry2:

Iran--Runner up=Mexico

Portugal :angry2:

Group E

Italy

Ghana--Winner=Italy

Czch republic--Runner up=Ghana----Italy vs Australia(1-0)

Usa--------------------------------------Brazil vs ghana(3-0)

Group F

Brazil

Japan--Winner=Brazil

Croatia--Runner up=Australia

Australia

Group G

Korea republic

France--Winner=Switzerland

Tongo--Runner up=France------France vs spain(3-1)

Switzerland-----------------------Switzerland vs Ukraine(0-0(0-3 on penaties)

Group H

Spain

Ukraine--Winner= Spain

Tunsia--Runner up=Ukraine

Saudi Arabia

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------l

Last 8(Quarter finals)

Germany vs Argentina (1-1(4-2 on penaties)

England vs Portugal :angry2: (0-0(3-1 on penaties)

Brazil vs France(0-1)

Italy vs ukraine(3-0)

Last 4(semi finals)

Italy vs Germany(2-0)

France vs portugal(1-0)

3rd place play offs

Portugal :angry2: :devil: vs germany(1-3)

Last 2(finals)

Italy vs France(1-1(5-3 on penaties)

Winners of the 2006 fifa world cup are:Italy

2nd place people are:France

3rd place people are:Germany Note:this is a quick guild the the 2006 fifa world cup,not a

reason why the FIFA World Cup is not just the biggest,but the best sporting contest on plant Earth :tu: .

Aero dynamic please cut and paste this post into a word document so you can use it in your next post. I cannot allow you to post your arguments before they are called for. It also give your opponent an advantage as they can see what you are going to post next. Once you have cut and pasted I shall remove the post.

Wikimedi, I had to :lol: good one!

Football is indeed the World Game, Aero_dynamic. I can’t specifically argue against your point in Issue 3, because it is truly the world sport. However, the World Cup is not the only Football competition in the world, just the largest. You can still see these sports at other major events, including the Olympics.

Body post 4 – the Olympics’ rich historical roots

The modern Olympics date to the beginning of the 1900’s and have run throughout the world with great success. This is only half the story. The Olympics go much further back than this. To find the origin of the Olympics, we must go all the way back to Ancient Greece, one of the great ancient civilizations in our collective history.

Ancient Greece - widely "considered by most historians to be the foundational culture of Western Civilization." - (Source) ancient Greece thrived for a thousand years, and still today influences our world. Education, politics, philosophy, science, art, more (paraphrased from same source as above). All these we can thank the Greeks for *thanks the Greeks*

And now, thousands of years later, we can tap into this tradition, this culture, this integral part of our life. And we can do this through the Olympics. Every athlete to compete in the Olympics brings to the sport the sense of tradition that only history can bring. Winners adding their name to an illustrious list of competitors that dates not only back to the 1900’s but thousands of years before the modern Olympics even began. To have ones name on a list of illustrious athletes dating back to this great civilization is........ indescribable. How can I even attempt to describe how an athlete would feel in this situation.

Compare this to the World Cup. It dates to 1930. By no means is it a meaningless competition, and winners rightly celebrate and put their names with some great sportsmen throughout history (Pele, Maradonna), but let’s put it in some perspective. As Aero_dynamic posted in his last reply:

Of these (competing teams), only eleven have made it to the final match, and only seven have won
Seven countries through history have won the Cup. SEVEN! Think about this a little. This is the “World Cup”, and only seven teams have held it? How can any sport that has a winners circle so small take up the mantle of the greatest sporting event on our planet? The absurdity of it overwhelms me.

The history of these two events show us categorically that the World Cup can not compete with the Olympics. Once again, the Olympics is shown to be a greater event, without doubt.

Isue 4:Money,money,money

The world cup can be split into 2 main points:

1)football

2)money

Point 1)-football:this is an easy one,it's what the world cup mainly about.

Point 2)-money:This is a harder one,but there are a number of people who make profit from the world cup:

1)Host

2)winner

3)companies

1)-host:This is mainly for the smaller contries and poor contries like south africa(2010)

and south amercian contries(2014) like brazil and argentina.

2)-winners:The winners can be put into 2 catagories,rich and poor:

Rich:England,france,italy and germany

Poor:Brazil,argentina and uargauy.

3)compainies-some small compainies profit from selling flags and othre world cu[p objects as well as the big companies.

Short but sweet! :tu:

Short but sweet! :tu:

And to the point also :tu: Though your point can also include the Olympics. The marketing value of the Olympics is not insignificant, and encompasses all 200+ nations, not only the 32 that qualify for the finals.

Body Post 5 – Olympic coverage

The sheer size of the Olympics guarantees the average television viewer the chance to watch 14 hours a day of continuous sporting action. One could realistically watch the excitement of the 100m sprint final, bask in the glory of that, then shortly after be cheering on the synchronised diving semi-final, and then again thereafter see the gymnastics uneven bars, followed by the Hockey, Soccer (sorry, Football), Equestrian and Tennis..... and so on, you get the idea – constant excitement. Consistently great moments every day!

That’s not to say that the Football World Cup doesn’t have it’s fair share of great moments. Italy’s two goals against Germany in the last two minutes of play during their semi-final match, for example. Or perhaps Germany’s penalty shoot-out performance against Argentina a match earlier. And of course, Zidane’s now infamous head butt ten minutes before time in the Final. Great moments, all of them. But this all happens within a limited time-frame. There are only sixty-four games at the World Cup, spread out over a whole month. This means there are...... *gets calculator out*

6 group games, multiplied by 8 groups: 48 games. 48 games multiplied by 90 minutes per game – 72 hours of game-play.

(I’ll calculate the length of the knockout games based on the maximum length of a game – i.e. 90 minutes of normal play, plus 30 minutes of extra-time)

8 games in the first knockout round – 8 x 120minutes: 16 hours of game-play.

4 quarterfinal matches – 4 x 120 minutes: 8 hours.

2 semi-finals – 2 x 120 minutes: 4 hours

And the biggie, the World Cup Final – 2 hours

Totalling all this up, the World Cup comprises an absolute maximum of 102 hours of actual Football. Ok, we’ll be kind and add six minutes to every match to account for injury time, but that’s still only adds another 6 ½ hours. And just to make things fair, I’ll add 15 minutes to every match for half-time break, another 16 hours.

Total maximum Football played – 124.5 hours

And since we’re talking television coverage, I suppose I’d better hand half an hour either side of each game to the commentators for their pre and post game wraps – 64 more hours of coverage, but no actual football played.

Total coverage, including television commentaries – 188.5 hours

When looked at like this, all at once, 188 hours may seem like a lot. That’s almost 8 full days of viewing pleasure. But remember that these 188 hours are spread out over a four-week period. That isn’t a lot when considering the length of the tournament. This isn’t so noticeable in the group stages when there are 3 games every day, but once the knockout rounds are reached, literally days pass without a ball being kicked.

So which event really is the greater???

Issue5-world class tv

The world cup 2006.many a memories of the wonderful event,like who can forget ziddans headbut in extra time in the world cup finals or joe coles admazing goal from 35 yard line for england

or italy 2 goals in the last 2 minutes in the semi finals!The list gose on and on!Do you get that in the olympics?No,because the wold cup is so big in range that its rare that someone picks on sonthing like 2 goals in 2 minutes ao some thing,they just look at the results like most of us. :no:

And how many of you people would have honestly heard of trinadad and tabago if they weren't in the would cup?How many of you would have heard of paraguy if they weren't in the world cupThis is what makes good telly-knowing that a contry that you have never heard of can win the world cup. :)

Also the world cup dose have the 'Eric Moussambani factor'.Let me take you back to Brazil vs Australia.Brazil won 2-0 but Australia played the best team in the world a fought at it,so when you think about it,Australia was the better team of the day and they even though it was there 2nd world cup they made it to the last 16.Many undecided people choose to support australia(i know i did :)) and in the end,isn't that what makes good telly?

In reply to Paranoid Android post about 188 hours of football,think whats you can do in 188 hours,you can:

.Go to any where in the world and back with a 3 day hoilday in the middle

.buy a car

.get married

.have a child

get put in prioson for a crime you didn't commit then break out

The list goes on and on so look back and see which sporting event which is the biggest and the best sporting event on earth-the fifa world cup or the olympics? :huh:

Edited by Aero_dynamic

The list gose on and on!Do you get that in the olympics?No

I beg to differ. The Olympics throws in just such moments also. Every sport in the Olympics has their special moments, for good or ill. These World Cup highlights you mention are good, and we can remember them clearly now because the World Cup was only held recently. Give it a couple of years, how many of these highlights will you remember? How many World Cup highlights do you remember from 2002? I can recall only two.

Also the world cup dose have the 'Eric Moussambani factor'.Let me take you back to Brazil vs Australia.

You’re equating an underdog team to Eric Moussambani. The situation is completely different. Eric Moussambani was totally inept in his sport. He’d never even learnt to swim until 8 months before he swam the Olympics. Australia is a sporting nation, with the majority of the Australian Soccer team playing in the top League’s overseas. To say it is similar to Moussambani is ridiculous in the extreme.

In rerply to paranoid android message that 188 hours is not a lot-how can you think that 188 hours is not a lot!Most people would love to have 188 hours extra in the there live! I know i would

ooh, sneaky. Editing this in. I almost missed it :lol: 188 hours seems a lot, and it’s definitely a lot to take in at once, butt over the course of a month it’s not a lot at all, especially when most of the Football gets played at the beginning of the tournament in the group stages.

Conclusion

When compared to the Olympics, the Football World Cup just doesn’t match up. The Olympics has a universal appeal that cannot be matched by the World Cup. Not only are there more sports to capture a wider audience, there are 200 countries involved with the actual event, not only meaningless qualifying matches. From a historical, cultural, social position, however we look at it, the Olympics are better. But above all, it is the spirit of the Olympics that endear the event to us all. Because above the spirit of competition (that both the World Cup and the Olympics possess), there is a greater spirit – the spirit of cooperation, and that belongs solely to the Olympics.

With that said, I bid you all adieu.

Regards, PA

Addendum

I would normally finish my debate with the above paragraph, but I would like to personally address my opponent here (if any Debate Organizer has issue with this, please feel free to edit this last paragraph out).

Thank you for taking the time to debate this topic, Aero_dynamic. It’s not easy taking up a debate here, especially when it’s your first. I’m sure you’ll learn a lot from this experience (Note - this is not meant as an attack on you, Aero_dynamic, but rather some helpful advice from a fellow debator, to use in your future debates). - Above everything else, a debate is about persuasion. Persuading the reader or hearer that your side of the story is the correct one. Facts alone can only go so far. I could see the points you were trying to raise in your post, but they were way too brief. Feel free to elaborate on your points, and persuade us that you’re right. And as this is a debate, you don’t need to tread lightly when it comes to trying to attack my posts. Find any hole in my argument (I’m sure there is one or two somewhere, and possibly even a contradiction or two, lol) and exploit it. No one will mind :D Taking a look at this link here might also be helpful in understanding what a debate judge looks for when grading our results.

Edited by Paranoid Android

ooh, sneaky. Editing this in. I almost missed it :lol: 188 hours seems a lot, and it’s definitely a lot to take in at once, butt over the course of a month it’s not a lot at all, especially when most of the Football gets played at the beginning of the tournament in the group stages.

Sorry about the confusion,yes after reading back carefully(thats the problem with me,i skim instead of reading it properly!)i realized what you where saying so i edited it.sorry again!

Thank you for taking the time to debate this topic, Aero_dynamic. It’s not easy taking up a debate here, especially when it’s your first. I’m sure you’l learn a lot from this experience (Note - this is not meant as an attack on you, Aero_dynamic, but rather some helpful advice from a fellow debater, to use in your future debates). - Above everything else, a debate is about persuasion. Persuading the reader or hearer that your side of the story is the correct one. Facts alone can only go so far. I could see the points you were trying to raise in your post, but they were way too brief. Feel free to elaborate on your points, and persuade us that you’re right. And as this is a debate, you don’t need to tread lightly when it comes to trying to attack my posts. Find any hole in my argument (I’m sure there is one or two somewhere, and possibly even a contradiction or two, lol) and exploit it. No one will mind :D Taking a look at this link here might also be helpful in understanding what a debate judge looks for when grading our results.

Thank you Paranoid Android,no i don't take any offence because its true.This is my first debate,not just here but anywhere for ages.yes its true but i can say i tried my hardest and,well i'm happy for that.You've been a exalent opponent and i wish you luck in future debates.

conclusion.

While this argument has been about which is better and to persuade people about which is the biggest and the best,doing that would be almost impossible.The world cup and the olympics or 2 different events.The olympics has a hole range of sports and 200+ contenders while the olympics only has one sport and only 32 countries out of the 200= can get through.Also the range for the biggest and best sporting events Is too small.What about wimbeledon?what about the commonwealth games?While some may agrue that on of the two is the best what about the other events?

So,on to the main point what we been of agueing over the last 4 weeks for;why is the world cup the biggest and the best sporting event in the world,well there are alot of points,but the main 3 are:

.185 hours of enjoyment-of that the adverge football fan will watch 20-100 hours of it.

.money -bring small companies money and brings the countries that host and win the world cup more money.

.Football-the worlds faivate sport.

thank you for reading and thankyou paranoid android for a good debate! :)

Edited by Aero_dynamic

Thanks to both our debaters you both did an incredible job. I shall now hand you over to the judges! :tu:

I'm not sure whether or not I should judge this.

Before reading this I had never heard of the "World Cup", and I very rarely (but sometimes) watch the Olympics.

I may not be impartial :lol:

Edited by Mr. Fahrenheit

Debater 1: Paranoid Android

Relevancy: 9

Countering: 8

Style: 8

Persuasiveness: 8

Total: 33

Debater 2: Aero_dynamic

Relevancy: 9

Countering: 6

Style: 7

Persuasiveness: 7

Total: 29

Good debate.

I don't really watch either, but found your debate intresting nonetheless... :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Debater 1: Paranoid Android

Relevancy: 10

Countering: 8

Style: 9

Persuasiveness: 8

Total: 35

Debater 2: Aero_dynamic

Relevancy: 10

Countering: 7

Style: 8

Persuasiveness: 6

Total: 31

A great debate with some good research to show each other's sides. Though, I did think PA did take it a bit further. Still a good job by the both of you, hope to see you guys in the future. :tu: