Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Demand for China chopsticks killing trees

china chopsticks trees

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,026 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:00 PM

A Chinese legislator who heads a forestry company has urged the country to save more trees by reducing the 80 billion pairs of disposable chopsticks it makes each year, state media say.

China's chopstick production amounted to 20 million 20-year-old trees, enough to fill Tiananmen Square with 360 layers of the single-use utensil, the Xinhua state news agency cited him as saying.

http://www.globalpos...-trees-lawmaker

Posted Image

#2    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,207 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

Back in 1985 I was a forester in Durango, Colorado.  Our district sold three million board feet of aspen each year to a manufacturer in Santa Fe who turned it into chopsticks for the Japanese fast-food market.  A single 33 million-board foot sale supplied them for eleven years.  They paid about $30,000 a year in stumpage, plus cutting and hauling costs.  That's enough wood for 150 average-sized houses a year, or 1650 over the span of the sale.  There's some serious volume involved.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#3    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

I saw something on TV a few months back about a US company, perhaps in Georgia or Carolina, that almost exclusively provided wood for that purpose.  It seems to me they actually took it down to the final product of chopsticks, and sent them to China.  The company was doing very well.

#4    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

This is just PR for the new Central Committee, news is strictly bamboo is going to be used in the future, planning this for years, there will be protests by the 'wood' purists but I don't think they'll make much noise. Wood is just 'classier' than 'low class' bamboo and bamboo is by far the better material for disposable chop sticks

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#5    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:17 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 13 March 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

This is just PR for the new Central Committee, news is strictly bamboo is going to be used in the future, planning this for years, there will be protests by the 'wood' purists but I don't think they'll make much noise. Wood is just 'classier' than 'low class' bamboo and bamboo is by far the better material for disposable chop sticks

I prefer the bamboo anyway.  Doesn't have as much shavings that come off in your food.  It's good to add fiber to your diet but c'mon!!  :)

Also, there was a news segment a few years ago here that showed how the wooden chopsticks were made and it pretty much horrified everyone at how filthy the conditions were where they made them and that we were putting them into our mouths... lol

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 14 March 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

I prefer the bamboo anyway.  Doesn't have as much shavings that come off in your food.  It's good to add fiber to your diet but c'mon!!  :)

Also, there was a news segment a few years ago here that showed how the wooden chopsticks were made and it pretty much horrified everyone at how filthy the conditions were where they made them and that we were putting them into our mouths... lol

marketing propaganda :lol:

take the worse there is and things couldn't be any worse,
chopsticks, disposable or not is still the best with East Asian oriental food
I hate eating my food off metal or from tin cans,
porcelain ceramic or even just the humble banana leave is the best of good enough for lil ol' me :yes:

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#7    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Seeing how Oriental food is prepared in bite size morsels it only makes sense to use chopsticks. Not only are they an effient tool I think its fun to use them.

Bamboo ones work for me.

#8    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,207 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 13 March 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

I saw something on TV a few months back about a US company, perhaps in Georgia or Carolina, that almost exclusively provided wood for that purpose.  It seems to me they actually took it down to the final product of chopsticks, and sent them to China.  The company was doing very well.
First they trim logs into blocks, then peel the blocks into plys on a lathe.  Then they run the plys through a stamping machine that turns out finished chopsticks.  Whole porcess is automated.

They run everything through the process, then just throw out anything that doesn't make the grade, like knots, incipient decay, cross-grain, etc.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#9    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

that is what they call 'top dallar' chopsticks ... disposables though they may be

'

#10    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,207 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 13 March 2013 - 08:14 PM, said:

The US has a trade deficit with China, anyway, and we have huge surpluses of Grade 3 hardwood logs that could be easily turned into billions of chopsticks.  Why don't they just buy them from us?
Doug

#11    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

View PostDoug1o29, on 15 March 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

The US has a trade deficit with China, anyway, and we have huge surpluses of Grade 3 hardwood logs that could be easily turned into billions of chopsticks.  Why don't they just buy them from us?
Doug

The piece I saw made it sound like these were shipped to China?

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Anytime there is a demand for a wood product trees are going to die for it.  Bamboo is a better choice and renews itself much faster.

#13    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 14 March 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

marketing propaganda :lol:

take the worse there is and things couldn't be any worse,
chopsticks, disposable or not is still the best with East Asian oriental food
I hate eating my food off metal or from tin cans,
porcelain ceramic or even just the humble banana leave is the best of good enough for lil ol' me :yes:

Even if it is propaganda, I prefer the bamboo & I find it easier to  use chopsticks, I use them to cook as well, obviously not for soup or anything like that but I think they're easier to eat with, especially salad.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:15 AM

View PostHilander, on 15 March 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Anytime there is a demand for a wood product trees are going to die for it.  Bamboo is a better choice and renews itself much faster.

Bamboo is a great replacement for all kinds of wood.  Or makes great flooring too.

#15    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,440 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Has their technology not come up to using knives and forks ?

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

Also tagged with china, chopsticks, trees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users