Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Super pack' of 400 wolves terrorise remote

Still Waters

A 'super pack' of wolves has been terrifying a town after leaving more than 30 horses dead in just four days.

Four hundred bloodthirsty wolves have been spotted prowling around the edges of Verkhoyansk, in Russia, attacking livestock at will.

Twenty four teams of hunters have been put together to get rid of the wolves, with a bounty of £210 for every wolf skin brought to officials.

Stepan Rozhin, an administration official for the Verkhoyansk district in Russia, said: 'To protect the town we are creating 24 teams of armed hunters, who will patrol the neighbourhood on snowmobiles and set wolf traps.

'But we need more people. Once the daylight increases, the hunters will start shooting predators from helicopters.'

A pack of wolves this size is unheard of, with the animals usually preferring to hunt in smaller groups of just six or seven.

The massive group is believed to be made from hundreds of packs and has left animal experts baffled.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I have to say I do not believe this story. The hierarchy of a wolf pack would not allow this and the term "blood-thirsty" offends me. Wolves are unique and a great species given a bad name by superstition. Russians are famous for these stories in rural Russia.---Robbie

This is surely a sign of inteligence in the animals to coperate.

Why is the only option to kill them? They are obviously highly inteligent, should they not be helped?

We might be able to communicate with them if the story is true.

It is inhuman to kill another society.

400 in a pack? Not freekin likely. Wolves could not possibly quickly evolve a workable hierarchy or pack structure in such a large group.

A more likely explanation is human fear/embellishment & numerous hungry packs over a period of time perhaps?

This is surely a sign of inteligence in the animals to coperate.

Why is the only option to kill them? They are obviously highly inteligent, should they not be helped?

We might be able to communicate with them if the story is true.

It is inhuman to kill another society.

I highly doubt you would be saying that if you lived there -- and these packs were targeting your livestock, pets, or your family.

I highly doubt that a pack of wolves would be that huge and ruled by only one Alpha pair and I doubt that even several packs would work together this long.

I am not saying it is impossible but I also doubt the claim that 30 or so horses are dead in three days. However there are plenty of cities that have a vendetta against wolves because it cuts into their love of sport hunting so they will exaggerate any claims in order to justify a mass culling.

However it is inevitable that more and more wild land is being claimed for human development which means that more and more wild animals have fewer places to go and some end up wandering into farms and pastures.

A wolf is not going to make a distinction between a cow and a buck..especially when it is hungry or has little ones to feed.

Unfortunately if the wolves start becoming a threat, there is only so many that can be re-located and the rest..well....their safety may not be guaranteed.

I think I have to agree with the consensus that it is highly unlikely. Where is the photos of this 400 strong pack? Surely someone has a camera or phone that can capture them. Pictures of Tracker/Hunters with their spoils leaves me feeling sickened.:hmm:

I doubt that there are 400 in a pack as well... but if they feel that they need to use a helicopter to hunt wolves, the situation is certainly a very serious one.

I've been searching for another source link to see if it said anything different. So far I've only found The Sun and it's showing same article :hmm:

400? That seems like a lot.. I wonder how they came up with that number.

In any case, if thats true -- can you imagine seeing them all hunt? That would be one hell of a sight!

edited for my fail-grammar

Edited by Kitana2010

Well..as I understand it, a pack of wolves can have up to 15 members so in order to have 400 you'd have to have nearly 27 packs traveling together PLUS the hierarchy of each pack would still have to be maintained while still being able to cooperate with the other packs which are often seen as intruders.

Of course many people simply do not know anything about wolves except for what they see on t.v which is often lends a gross misrepresentation.

Again I think the article was deliberately overblown to misinform the public. A carefully orchestrated piece of propaganda aimed at a populace that was just starting to get used to the idea of wolves but I suspect that people who are into the sport hunting felt that all the deer and various wildlife belongs to them so they have something to shoot at for "fun" so they urged their "DNR" or whatever they have to rally the people agiants wolves again.

A common tactic they will use is to employ words like "terrorize" or Blood thirsty" or "killers". All designed to sway an already, dare I say, gullible and easily manipulated populace.

I can only hope someone out there will do even some cursory research on wolf packs and realize they're being lied to.

All I had to do was use a search engine to find information on the size of wolf packs..found some basic info too.

If anyone is interested..here is just one website on wolves..

My link

Edit: Changed link to website 'cause I found a better one.

Edited by Ryu

I'm split on the issue. On one hand they have a right to live in harsh conditions and are trying to adapt. On the other, people need to protect themselves and who knows when/if they will attack humans. If the numbers are true and there is a population of 400, then any relocation effort would be huge and widespread.

I just thought of something, it's a stretch but anyways...what if this "wolf" pack is really a rogue pack of wolf-dog hybrids?

Feral dogs are known to be destructive, they have the wherewithal to hunt, sort of, but haven't a clue as what to do afterwards.

In otherwords because of the hybridizing, the instincts become an aberration and thus makes them do weird stuff.

I am not trying to justify killing the creatures but I am just wondering if these "wolves" are not what they seem.

They said 400, because 300 is way too cliche... Besides, everybody knows that the small town holds an ancient relic that will let werewolves turn at will, and not just when the moon is at its fullest. Duuuuuuuh. ; )

The overthrowing of you humans has begun ^^ *ish scouting out the forum for the next wolf raid*

And I for one welcome our new canis lupus overlords.

On a serious note, I doubt the claims. However, I've seen crows by the hundreds, coordinating together for food. If crows can combine themselves for a greater goal, I don't see why wolves wouldn't be able to do the same.

If this is true, they should just fence in their village. Don't slaughter the wolves. :unsure2:

It's their survival instinct to kill weaker creatures for food. :yes:

I highly doubt you would be saying that if you lived there -- and these packs were targeting your livestock, pets, or your family.

I would! I believe, since humans are responsible for the lack of food for these animals (through habitat destruction and whatnot) we should take responsibility for their hunger. Why not start a rabbit breeding program that puts more rabbits in the wild. That would lower the risk of the wolves hunting livestock. But then you'd have PETA and whatnot up your butt about breeding animals for death and blah blah blah. . .but killing the predators for being predators is stupid. It's our fault they don't have food, so we are reaping what we've sown. It should, rightly, be taken out on us, not them. There are so many other solutions that could be employed. Ensure that they have enough food in what little habitat they have left, or accept responsibility for them moving to different sources. Human arrogance of taking everything from every other species and then expecting no effect has got to end. We take and we take and we take, and we get all in a huff when something is taken from us. We seriously need to get over ourselves.

I'm reminded of an old farming technique of putting aside a certain portion of land only for use of wildlife, away from the land used for human purposes. The bunnies and whatnot could have at that area and were more likely to leave the other crops alone. Either way, they were going to get their share. You might as well give them a bit and avoid them munching a crop that you were going to use.

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness

I would! I believe, since humans are responsible for the lack of food for these animals (through habitat destruction and whatnot) we should take responsibility for their hunger. Why not start a rabbit breeding program that puts more rabbits in the wild. That would lower the risk of the wolves hunting livestock. But then you'd have PETA and whatnot up your butt about breeding animals for death and blah blah blah. . .but killing the predators for being predators is stupid. It's our fault they don't have food, so we are reaping what we've sown. It should, rightly, be taken out on us, not them. There are so many other solutions that could be employed. Ensure that they have enough food in what little habitat they have left, or accept responsibility for them moving to different sources. Human arrogance of taking everything from every other species and then expecting no effect has got to end. We take and we take and we take, and we get all in a huff when something is taken from us. We seriously need to get over ourselves.

I'm reminded of an old farming technique of putting aside a certain portion of land only for use of wildlife, away from the land used for human purposes. The bunnies and whatnot could have at that area and were more likely to leave the other crops alone. Either way, they were going to get their share. You might as well give them a bit and avoid them munching a crop that you were going to use.

I agree with your whole post. However that horse is already out of the barn. There are situations like this NOW that must be dealt with rationally and logically with human rights placed above animals - just like we do when we eat them.

I completely agree. I think all that money they are going to give people for killing the wolves could easily be put to much better use. For example that wonderful idea with the rabbit program. It's life process, it's a circle. Instead of killing out most of one species add more of another, they will support each other and stay out of peoples way.

I bet it is a very scary situation, but there is better ways of dealing with this. If this pack is really has big as they say, it needs to be studied. We need to watch their behaviors and learn from them. This idea of shooting wolves from helicopters turns my stomach. It's horrible!! Let's not exterminate something because we are afraid of it. Naturally it's their land, we should find a way to live with them.

A fence is a very simple solution!!

While I'm sure that humans are not totally blameless for the lack of food in this area (we never are), the article did state that colder weather destroyed the rabbits food supply. I really hate to see any animal hunted down, but you have to remember that this is a remote village, near the Arctic Circle. I don't think encroachment is a major problem here, this is not a vacation spot (it's Siberia after all). They have a population of about 1300 people, against hungry predators. I don't think they have much of a choice in this instance. As the animals become hungrier and bolder, more than just their livestock would be at stake.

While I'm sure that humans are not totally blameless for the lack of food in this area (we never are), the article did state that colder weather destroyed the rabbits food supply. I really hate to see any animal hunted down, but you have to remember that this is a remote village, near the Arctic Circle. I don't think encroachment is a major problem here, this is not a vacation spot (it's Siberia after all). They have a population of about 1300 people, against hungry predators. I don't think they have much of a choice in this instance. As the animals become hungrier and bolder, more than just their livestock would be at stake.

Massive deforestation is a major problem in that area. So much so that it's become the focus of several environmental groups. Its a taiga, which means its a boreal forest zone. These types of forests produce much of the wood used for limber and paper products. There has also been the oil boom in Siberia which leads to more deforestation and environmental degradation. Considering the oil brings in money and a better livelihood for the people (which, considering they live in a snowy wasteland, every opportunity is, understandably, met with enthusiasm), damage to the environment isn't considered as important as it is in other parts of the world. Environmental degradation is a problem that spans all of Russia due to these poor environmental regulations. Animals that once lived in these places, the ones that don't die at least, will move to whatever forests are left that are relatively safe harbors. These concentrated numbers have a sort of negative chain reaction. Food becomes scarcer, competition becomes fiercer, and humans and their endeavors once again become part of the food chain.

I agree with your whole post. However that horse is already out of the barn. There are situations like this NOW that must be dealt with rationally and logically with human rights placed above animals - just like we do when we eat them

Well, I suppose they better get to breeding some rabbits and putting up some fences, then. We created a problem in nature, we fix it. And we fix it in relation to how we caused it. If culling was the answer when a population posed a threat, humans would be in need of it in almost every corner of the world. If we have to take some losses in fixing our mistakes, then so be it. The losses will be less than if the mistake goes unfixed. And killing a bunch of wolves isn't going to fix the problems. It's a short term solution to a long term problem, and the short term solutions generally make the long term consequences worse.

And killing a bunch of wolves isn't going to fix the problems. It's a short term solution to a long term problem, and the short term solutions generally make the long term consequences worse.

Culling is the only solution for the people in this Siberian community right now -- the only way to maintain their standard of living and protect their pets, livestock & possibly families.

If I lived there I would kill the "hunters" daring to attack the wolfs, go in their ways and go mad pretending to be a wolf and communicate with them... I already know some harsh langua in wolfish, how to say your not a danger to them. It's peoples mistake for chosing such a place to live.

The animals was there long before, and the humans are those that probably killed the food source for sports. All these hunters in one town, it's a little OBVIOUS were the problem started for "fun" of the human race, and not the respect of nature.

Agreed. :)

But then again... if it truly is to little for the rabbits, there would be no rabbits to survive the winter.

That is, if the hunters do not hunt down the rabbits to get a excuse for hunting wolfs in winter.

I agree with your whole post. However that horse is already out of the barn. There are situations like this NOW that must be dealt with rationally and logically with human rights placed above animals - just like we do when we eat them.

You say human life is more worth than another life?

That's the main reason for the problem... if humans could do like chinese and get a rule on how many children each and one can have, there would be NO overhumanity and no starvation. People are making the world worse by "living their life". Humans are like vermins, thus lesser valuable in life than a wolf.

I completely agree. I think all that money they are going to give people for killing the wolves could easily be put to much better use. For example that wonderful idea with the rabbit program. It's life process, it's a circle. Instead of killing out most of one species add more of another, they will support each other and stay out of peoples way.

I bet it is a very scary situation, but there is better ways of dealing with this. If this pack is really has big as they say, it needs to be studied. We need to watch their behaviors and learn from them. This idea of shooting wolves from helicopters turns my stomach. It's horrible!! Let's not exterminate something because we are afraid of it. Naturally it's their land, we should find a way to live with them.

A fence is a very simple solution!!

Let's go for a fence and put it up, though... those hunters looks more interested in slaughtering than a friendly solution.

Culling is the only solution for the people in this Siberian community right now -- the only way to maintain their standard of living and protect their pets, livestock & possibly families.

They can, ever heard of wolf warding? Some sounds are actually so annoying for a wolf that it will keep away from it.

That would give them time to put up a fence, no one dies, and the wolfs move on... simple.