Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Similar in age or older than Göbekli Tepe?

Argonaut

There are sites that are that old, but very few temples and even less that have lasted as long as the Gobeliki cult (whatever it might have been).

Bosnian Pyramids

More than 30000 years old.

2uqi05s.jpg

I know this post will get some reactions, so I will only answer questions, but not discussing. Please respect that. I will discuss when the 2014 report comes or there is more new news from the site.

Thanks!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=A0LEV1lCYYhULdYAMdpXNyoA?qid=20090527025842AAsJCua

Japanese archaeologists have uncovered the remains of what is believed to be the world's oldest artificial structure, on a hillside at Chichibu, north of Tokyo.

The shelter was built by Homo erectus, an ancient ancestor of humans, who is known to have used stone tools. The site has been dated to half a million years ago.

It consists of what appear to be 10 post-holes, forming two irregular pentagons which may be the remains of two huts. Thirty stone tools were also found scattered around the site.

"It does sound important," says Chris Stringer, head of the human origins group at London's Natural History Museum. "If this is correctly dated and correctly interpreted, it is the first good evidence from 500,000 years ago of a hut structure made by these people."

Before the discovery, the oldest remains of a structure were those at Terra Amata in France, from around 200,000 to 400,000 years ago.

The Japanese site was discovered during the construction of a park. After digging through about two metres of river deposits, archaeologists found a layer of volcanic ash in which the shallow post holes were dug. Ofer Bar-Yosef, an anthropologist at Harvard University, says Japanese dating techniques using volcanic ash are usually reliable.

The holes were clearly distinct from the volcanic layer, says Kazutaka Shimada, curator of the Meiji University Museum in Tokyo. "They had well-defined edges."

The remains could help explain how Homo erectus lived and hunted. "It's evidence that they built structures but how permanent this was we don't know," says Dr Stringer. "Who knows whether this was a shelter they stayed in for one week, or one month."

John Rick, an anthropologist at Stanford University, says that, if the find is confirmed, it will be interesting because it shows that hominids could conceive of using technology to organise things.

"They had the idea of actually making a structure, a place where you might sleep. It represents a conceptual division between inside and outside."

• Like 3

Bosnian Pyramids

More than 30000 years old.

2uqi05s.jpg

I know this post will get some reactions, so I will only answer questions, but not discussing. Please respect that. I will discuss when the 2014 report comes or there is more new news from the site.

Thanks!

My estimate is more than 66 million years... then those mountains were formed by the collision of the European and Anatolian plates....

• Like 5

Asikli Hoyuck and Boncuklu Hoyuck are thought by some to be the third and fourth oldest sites in the Levant; after GT and Catalhoyuck.

http://www.tayproject.org/TAYages.fm$Retrieve?CagNo=259&html=ages_detail_e.html&layout=web

http://boncuklu.org/about-boncuklu/what-we-have-found/

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

Bosnian Pyramids

Thanks!

xq54886ac6.jpg

One wonders why the builders of the 'pyramid' built a 'saddle' behind it to attach it to the neighorbouring ridge; comment not a question.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

xq54886ac6.jpg

One wonders why the builders of the 'pyramid' built a 'saddle' behind it to attach it to neighorbouring ridge; comment not a question.

That is the plateau of the pyramid coming from the west. That was the purpose. That picture is from Robert Schoch. But someone took a better picture.

1zeuveu.jpg

That is the plateau of the pyramid coming from the west. That was the purpose. That picture is from Robert Schoch. But someone took a better picture.

1zeuveu.jpg

Yes that is a better image which is rarely shown, one doesn't like to have a 'pyramid' that to all appearances is a common ridge line, eh?

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

1zeuveu.jpg

Yes that is a better image which is rarely shown, one doesn't like to have a 'pyramid' that to all appearances is a common ridge line, eh?

well, lets be fair: it is a pyramid, just not alien, man or beast made....

1zeuveu.jpg

Why my friend? The pyramid is over 220m. It would be a pain to climb the pyramid.

There are many different pyramids around the world. Don't think about the Egyptian pyramids when you hear about the pyramids. But think about the pyramids around the world.

Tomb of the General:

20t0weh.jpg

Zigurrat of Ur:

20t1g87.jpg

Pyramid of Guimar:

1zdc9zn.jpg

Pyramid of the Sun Teotihuacan:

2mqul9f.jpg

Other pyramids:

jg6340.jpg

There are pyramids that are man made and then there are natural hills that are roughly pyramidal especially if you view it from one side.

This thread is about man made structures, not hoaxes such as the one being pushed in Bosnia. Nor is the thread about natural structures such as hills, caves, or other places ancient man has been found.

Why my friend? The pyramid is over 220m. It would be a pain to climb the pyramid.

There are many different pyramids around the world. Don't think about the Egyptian pyramids when you hear about the pyramids. But think about the pyramids around the world.

How many were built attached to a ridge line?

Most that I'm aware of where built on flat ground so the effect of the pyramid was more manifest.

There are pyramids that are man made and then there are natural hills that are roughly pyramidal especially if you view it from one side.

This thread is about man made structures, not hoaxes such as the one being pushed in Bosnia. Nor is the thread about natural structures such as hills, caves, or other places ancient man has been found.

True we should get back to the OP, my apologies for the unintended drift.

A small square temple, built by the Sumerian king Aannipadda, of Ur, about 4500 B. C., is the oldest building in the world still standing above ground, according to a report from Dr. C. Leonard Woolley, director of the joint expedition of the British Museum and the University of Pennsylvania Museum, which is excavating in the region of Ur in lower Babylonia (TiME, April 28, July 9, Dec. 31). The temple, located at Tell el Obeid, four miles from Ur, was first unearthed some months ago, but its excavation has now been completed, carrying back the known history of Sumeria a thousand years into legendary ages. With an age of over 6,000 years, the temple is almost twice as old as the relics of King TutankhAmen

• Like 1

A small square temple, built by the Sumerian king Aannipadda, of Ur, about 4500 B. C., is the oldest building in the world still standing above ground, according to a report from Dr. C. Leonard Woolley, director of the joint expedition of the British Museum and the University of Pennsylvania Museum, which is excavating in the region of Ur in lower Babylonia (TiME, April 28, July 9, Dec. 31). The temple, located at Tell el Obeid, four miles from Ur, was first unearthed some months ago, but its excavation has now been completed, carrying back the known history of Sumeria a thousand years into legendary ages. With an age of over 6,000 years, the temple is almost twice as old as the relics of King TutankhAmen

that makes it 4000 years younger than Gobeliki.

xq54886ac6.jpg

One wonders why the builders of the 'pyramid' built a 'saddle' behind it to attach it to the neighorbouring ridge; comment not a question.

Maybe that's the 'ramp' they used to build it... (sarcastic allusion to many... many posts about the Egyptian pyramids and their "lack of ramps")...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Maybe that's the 'ramp' they used to build it... (sarcastic allusion to many... many posts about the Egyptian pyramids and their "lack of ramps")...

Like public nudity at the Vatican, drunken bestiality outside Buckingham Palace and actually eating at McDonald's - we never speak of those 'ramp' posts except in private.....

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 2

My estimate is more than 66 million years... then those mountains were formed by the collision of the European and Anatolian plates....

yes, but it is a great photo ... with my bad eyesight the top does look like 'blocks' < zooms up > ... Oh ..... I see .

Zooms in super close .... oh look! The excavations are being "observed by a clutch of onlookers, journalists, and—in what may be a first for such endeavors—contestants from the Miss Bosnia beauty pageant."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com.au/news/2006/05/pyramid-bosnia-1.html

I love stories like this ..... it helps with my research ( not archeology - psychology ).

xq54886ac6.jpg

Building ramp ;)

1zeuveu.jpg

Ohhh ! That was the purpose ! Thanks for explaining the reason and function of a 'pyramid ridge'. ... it is its own purpose - apparently :su

... <chop> ...

Other pyramids:

jg6340.jpg

Well, that fell down a bit ! You should have only posted the first pic (top left) in this series.

Edited by back to earth

True we should get back to the OP, my apologies for the unintended drift.

some of the carvings at GT , to me, seem reminiscent of some styles of cave art ? .... or I am imaging that ?

The GT art resembles a lot of art, its (in my opinion) somewhat amateurish and that makes it similar to others doing the same

http://science.natio...s/gobekli-tepe/

This shows some of the art 'in situ' ie speculation on how it might have looked when made and what purpose it served.

I've seen discussion of it looking like Mayan; Sumerian, Harappa, etc.

It is duly hope we can find graves and do DNA testing it would be interesting indeed if these folks were ancestors to anybody

Photod:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/06/gobekli-tepe/musi-photography

Edited by Hanslune

Like public nudity at the Vatican, drunken bestiality outside Buckingham Palace and actually eating at McDonald's - we never speak of those 'ramp' posts except in private.....

yes ... <hangs head in shame > ... yes, you are right . I shouldnt have said that.

... perhaps it is a runway for sliding blocks up that side, that explains why the other side still has the cliff faces; so the geyser filled water counter weights ..... arrrrgg !

magical_maestro_1_387.jpgrunning-dog.png

• Like 2