Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Non-believers, why do you post here ?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#46    The Sky Scanner

The Sky Scanner

Observer

• 5,359 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 February 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I understand that this forum is older than most ,and there's a wide diversity of people. I'm friends here with many skeptics ,but they do not go out of their way,to immediately jump on others because of their beliefs.

If you can speak and debate ,you have one thing .If you just keep repeating SHOW PROOF,or SEE A DOCTOR  ,to people who believe what they believe because of things other people cannot comprehend ,or its based in faith , it doesn't seem like these people post to debate anything. They post because just because they like to act superior to people they deem beneath, them mentally .

This has caused many constituents of this forum ,to go to other forums ,and there are many people here who do not post,for fear of ridicule. which I think is a shame . .

And there are forums ,that have a title,and that is what they discuss there.
Its to exchange ideas with people who are in your clique .Not argue as to why you believe what you do.  
Im not saying a good debate isnt a healthy thing , but my observation is ,its not always a debate ,as so much a bashing party .

My observation would have to be ,some people get off on the bashing part .
I mean there's a reason I posted this in psychology :)

I don't doubt there are those that just ridicule from the outset, i've bumped into a few myself, but that just falls under what I said when I said "how they'll filter out other views to hold onto their own". There are forums (as you said) that deal with a particular mindset or belief, but as this isn't one of those then you need those that counter any claim made. I'd also have to point out that I have bumped into just as many believers who refuse to act reasonably in a debate - for example, if a claim is made regarding something that affects us all, say medicine, or the environment for example, and someone with a great deal of knowledge posts on that topic countering the claim, or debunking the claim, then it's in the interest of the topic and all those reading it to see that information.

The psychology of dismissing just for the sake of it is the same as the psychology of refusing to debate with sceptical views, in so much as it's protecting a mindset to the point of stubbornness.

Another side that i've seen is that I think occasionally people post personal beliefs that they hold dear, and expect only like minded people to post on it, whereas in reality they would have been better off putting it in a blog if they wanted to avoid any resistance to their thoughts. :)

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#47    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,290 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 09 February 2013 - 10:58 AM, said:

Here's some of the things said so far on this thread, about what might loosely be called debunkers (very probably including me..)

So are you folks aware of the Report function?  Or are you simply not using it, and would you rather just generalise, handwave and avoid being specific?

Seriously - if YOU are being 'attacked', just report the post - see that little button at bottom left?

But if it's just your views or claims that are being challenged, then .. toughen up.  If you can't defend those views, for example if a simple explanation is being posted for what you hoped was paranormal, or your viewpoint is being challenged by real references or statistics or science that contradicts you, or you have been taken in by a hoax.. isn't it better that the truth wins out?

Or is it more important that your claims are never challenged, your pride never hurt?

So does this mean you think people are being enlightened when a person doesn't believe what they have reported? That by sharing thier experience and made to feel like a fool with mental problems helps them finally understand it was all in thier head and it was impossible because... hmm I dont know, they dont have photos? Are you saying you think skeptics stick around for this, like this is thier higher calling or job or something? I ask because the question is "why do you hang around?" Thats not to say I want you to leave but I think this thread is about understanding what the skeptics interest is.. not why we should accept the skeptics view point. I personally think skeptics should start listening a little more closely, see how many stories are similar if not almost exactly the same and start admitting some of this phenomenon is true, especially when it is obvious there is no other explanation. Once you see that some of these things have no other explanation, the ones you think have a better explanation might make more sense.

Edit: I think its the skeptics who are holding on to thier pride...

Edited by SpiritWriter, 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#48    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 2,987 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

My experience is that the tighter I hold onto to something dear, the quicker it slips away. Anyhoo, the skeptics provide a good balance, I think, at least the ones who aren't mired in their own dogma. You know, there be dogmas in them there waters! What's really cool is when the skeptics get beyond their own dogma, because then they have some interesting things to say that add to the conversation. I was just wondering this morning what the skeptics could contribute about the existence of spooks or the paranormal, if they were able to hypothesize about the existence of such things. Those "what if" questions can be fascinating. Here's a couple of definitions of hypothesis:
  • A supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.
  • A proposition made as a basis for reasoning, without any assumption of its truth.
[color=#878787 !important]

[/color]

#49    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

It's a bit complicated for me..
I don't what the heck I would call myself.

I believe in Bigfoot and The Loch Ness Monster.
I don't believe in ghosts or any type of communication from the grave.
I do believe in UFO's but you can count the cases I'm convinced about on my fingers.
I don't believe in alien abduction despite my dream with grey kittens floating me down the stairs.
I don't believe in the stories alien contactees spin or any cults that revolve around UFO sightings.
I don't believe in the ancient alien hypothnesis.
I do believe that some corn circles and a spot of animal mutilation are done by aliens.
And like 99.9999% of the people here I believe in intelligent life elsewhere.
Tbh I would call myself a sceptical believer who's hanging on for that scrap of definitive proof.
But that's subject to change depending on the mystery of the week.
If I was a true skeptic I would dismiss everything right out of hand.
It's that kind of disruption that leads to negativity and flame wars.
Most of my time is spent in off- topic catching flies.
I wouldn't have even registered never mind posted if I wasn't interested in the unknown.

Edited by Medium Brown, 09 February 2013 - 06:41 PM.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

#50    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,762 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

View PostOdin11, on 09 February 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

This question has been asked and answered a 1000 times on this site. We are here because we have an interest in these topics just like you.

I can just as easily ask why believers post here and not on a forum for people who believe like you. If all you want is blind agreement why not post on a forum with only believers?

Do you really just want a bunch of people just agreeing with you all the time? "Yep that's a ghost" "Yeah I see it too" "OMG I had the same thing happen to me." That would get old real fast, and I would bet that after only a short while some people would start wishing that some of the non believers would come back.

:nw:   :tsu:   :tu:

Although, my participation and interest are near gone now. ( This may make some people happy ) Not sure if it is age, wisdom from age, or just tired of redundant conversations, and defensive arguments.

Nothing new in the paranormal world. Just the same old, different day / year.

Edited by Sakari, 09 February 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#51    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 February 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

I was just reading this thread , http://www.unexplain...howtopic=242661 ,and it makes one ponder ,WHY .

The title of this forum ,is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES ,and each sub forum has a very definative title as well.
Why,if you do not believe in anything unexplained ,occult ,mysterious or conspiracy ,why do any of the non believers post and come to this forum then .

Why don't you all post in a forum for people who think people who are believers , are just all delusional .

And I'm not trying to start flame wars ,but it begs the question ,are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....

If you're a non believer ,what do you get out of a forum for unexplained mysteries ?

I think those of us who don't believe in such things, might want to, so we come and look.   I am beginning to think there is something to it; at least some of it.

doug

doug

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#52    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,864 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:09 PM

I suspect we will all find out, come the next phase Sakari. :yes:  And I bet it's better than this.

Every man has his own standards for proof, as it should be.  But sometimes a group of men can arrive at better standards of what is real and what is not?  What is true and what is not?

Edited by Babe Ruth, 09 February 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#53    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,311 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Why don't you all post in a forum for people who think people who are believers

============================================
Certain things i do believe in, but not necessarily understand.
So you want a forum where everyone agrees with each other and if someone puts something which has been debunked, you would rather not know?
Think this forum would not last for too long if everyone agreed and nodded yes yes all the time.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#54    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

Although, my participation and interest are near gone now. ( This may make some people happy ) Not sure if it is age, wisdom from age, or just tired of redundant conversations, and defensive arguments.

Nothing new in the paranormal world. Just the same old, different day / year.

Just opposite. New theories and new hypothesis are proposed almost every day in all brenches of our knowledge.
Its your subjective view.

Edited by the L, 09 February 2013 - 08:20 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#55    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,311 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Just opposite. New theories and new hypothesis are proposed almost every day in all brenches of our knowledge.
maybe she does not  believe they are.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#56    Andami

Andami

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

The title of this forum ,is UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES ,and each sub forum has a very definative title as well.
Why,if you do not believe in anything unexplained ,occult ,mysterious or conspiracy ,why do any of the non believers post and come to this forum then .
Believing in anything unexplained is foolish, but I enjoy the subjects. I may not believe in the supernatural currently, but I'm always willing to change my mind if evidence is presented to the contrary.

Why don't you all post in a forum for people who think people who are believers , are just all delusional .
That is not my purpose of coming to this forum, though I do believe most are. Accepting something as fact without evidence is delusional.

And I'm not trying to start flame wars ,but it begs the question ,are people who post in forum for things they do NOT believe in ,only posting to creat trouble ,belittle others ,or be a troll ....
No. Most "skeptics" want the FACTS to be presented, not baseless assumptions or blind faith. Ignorance and dogma are two of my least favorite plagues on humanity.

If you're a non believer ,what do you get out of a forum for unexplained mysteries ?
An insight on the opinions and viewpoints of others and the occasional interesting story that really can't be explained or have unusual explanations. I also like the world news and politics.

#57    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 09 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

maybe she does not  believe they are.

Probably. Or perhaps he simply just dont care anymore. Well I do care.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.

#58    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,762 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postthe L, on 09 February 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

Sorry, 8 years of repeated, same old tells me different.

I would say show me the evidence to this, but I have been asking that for years also, why should I keep going :)

My view is based off of what is fact, and what is belief. My veiws are also based off of known things, Psychology, Electronics, etc,etc,etc...

Enjoy, I am repeating myself again :)

I am going on a hike now.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#59    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

Sorry, 8 years of repeated, same old tells me different.

You hang out with wrong gentlemen.

View PostSakari, on 09 February 2013 - 08:41 PM, said:

I would say show me the evidence to this, but I have been asking that for years also, why should I keep going

Do I need to link you peer review perhaps?

Edited by the L, 09 February 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#60    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostMedium Brown, on 09 February 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

I do believe in UFO's but you can count the cases I'm convinced about on my fingers.

Only fool doesnt believe in UFOs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users