Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Flies give up meat for toxic vegetarian diet

Still Waters

For millennia, they buzzed through the woods, contentedly munching yeasts off the surfaces of leaves, bracken, and rotting duff on the forest floor.

But now, flies in the family Drosophilidae, whose disparate members dwell in areas all across the planet, have evolved into all-out vegetarians with a wicked diet of plants that are deadly to most other organisms.

http://www.futurity....egetarian-diet/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mistydawn

• Still Waters

• WoIverine

• rashore

Top Posters In This Topic

Since they said this has happened three times in other species I have to wonder if it will eventually happen to humans.

Since they said this has happened three times in other species I have to wonder if it will eventually happen to humans.

I kind of doubt it. Even though people are omnivores by nature we really do choose our diets in a way that few if any other animals do. I think that enough humans would choose to eat animal products that it would be unlikely that as an entire species we would develop into vegetarians. Unless for some reason other animals became so scarce on the planet that we would have no choice but to only eat plants.

And teehee, we probably wouldn't give up yeast like the flies did, I think too many people like their baked goods a bit too much for that.

Probably some kind of chemical polutant warped their fly brains into eating plants instead. I blame Monsanto for this. lol

Edited by WoIverine

For millennia, they buzzed through the woods, contentedly munching yeasts off the surfaces of leaves, bracken, and rotting duff on the forest floor.

But now, flies in the family Drosophilidae, whose disparate members dwell in areas all across the planet, have evolved into all-out vegetarians with a wicked diet of plants that are deadly to most other organisms.

http://www.futurity....egetarian-diet/

Go flies!!! Wee wippersnappers unite and eat all the vegetation available to humans!! YeH!!