Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Is proof of alien life a risk to society ?

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#106    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,576 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 05 February 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

We never did.

When was the last time we travelled to another star?

Not meaning to nitpick, but did you not say "Great Distances In Space"? I would consider the voyager probes to come under that category.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#107    Manc_Lad

Manc_Lad

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

It really depends on how it goes down. If scientists (And I'm assuming that this is what the article is getting at) can somehow prove there is an earth-like planet that is almost certain to sustain intelligent life then all the people that aren't completely stupid will be like " So there IS intelligent life in the universe, well what a shock" and the ignorant people/religious nuts will just brush it away as "not solid proof, bring me an alien, then we'll talk", knowing/hoping that possibility could never occur.

My point is that anyone with half a brain knows there is intelligent life out there, it's almost impossible for there not to be. The people that don't believe it will never believe it unless an Alien literally came to Earth and did a worldwide press conference stating "Hello Earth, I am what you call an "Alien", yes, I am literally an Alien. Check out this video of my home planet". We all know that's not going to happen so I don't think it would cause that much of a stir to be honest.

Alien popping down to Earth to say hello would be a big deal. Scientists proving exsistence of life, not such a big deal.

Edited by Manc_Lad, 05 February 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#108    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,217 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostManc_Lad, on 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

My point is that anyone with half a brain knows there is intelligent life out there

Nice.  I don't KNOW it - I suspect it, but I don't claim to know stuff until it is actually right there and exists.
Call me half-brained.

it's almost impossible for there not to be.

Oh wait.  So you're not entirely convinced either?????  Sorry, you've lost me, now..

We all know that's not going to happen

We?  You are not speaking for everyone...

Alien popping down to Earth to say hello would be a big deal. Scientists proving exsistence of life, not such a big deal.
??? But you just said the first wasn't going happen?  Sigh.

And obviously you are difficult to please.  I think finding life on Mars, Venus, Titan, Europa or whatever, even if microbial, would be absolutely HUGE news.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#109    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I don't think the people on the planet will be affected by it.
I honestly believe the vast majority already believe its out there and therefore the discovery would be more of a confirmation than a surprise.
What i find offensive is that we have these world leaders and politicians talking like we are fragile minded lemmings that need to be kept in the dark to protect our fragile sensibilities.
If life is discovered, just freaking tell us.
Nothing is going to change.
Even Religious groups are coming to terms with the fact that Alien life forms likely exist.
Politicians are the only group that worry me.

#110    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 05 February 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

You heard the latest news about that Goldilocks Zone? Earth is NOT in it:

Earth and others lose status as Goldilocks worlds
http://www.newscient...cks-worlds.html

The article states we are now considered on the warm edge of the zone, (ALMOST too hot for liquid water) but definitely still in it.
Let's not start any rumors. :)
  Reading these science articles you often run into
misleading titles or misinterpretation of the source material. I think this is one of those situations.

Edited by HDesiato, 05 February 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#111    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 February 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

LOL, no I had not, cheers, that is rather silly isn't it, according to it, we are to hot to have liquid water, because clouds are not factored in? We know habitable zones are not restricted to suns, as is suspected with Europa and Titan. I wonder how they factor those in? I think I can safely say that Sedna is not going to be harbouring life though ;)

I have a strong feeling that the new "definition" is going to have some changes yet.

Still, the Universe itself is suspected to also have a habitable zone, which makes sense when you consider evolution of the Universe.

It is said Europa has liquid water under its ice because of tidal forces caused by Jupiter, but Europa is a moon, and I don't think they are already able to detect moons at many light years distance.

And Titan... if it harbors life, it won't be anything we even expected in our wildest dreams because of its extreme low surface temperature.

#112    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

The article states we are now considered on the warm edge of the zone, (ALMOST too hot for liquid water) but definitely still in it.
misleading titles or misinterpretation of the source material. I think this is one of those situations.

This is what the article says:

Shockingly, Earth – which used to be smack-bang in the middle of our sun's habitable zone – is now a scant million kilometres away from the warm edge, so almost too hot for liquid water. Of course, we know Earth is robustly life-friendly – the mismatch is probably because neither definition accounts for clouds, which reflect sunlight away from Earth.

#113    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 05 February 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Not meaning to nitpick, but did you not say "Great Distances In Space"? I would consider the voyager probes to come under that category.

But it's still not even near a neighboring star.

#114    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Sounds to me like some University Professor needed to write a quick paper to keep his Government funding rolling in and this was an easy lift.

#115    HDesiato

HDesiato

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 05 February 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

This is what the article says:

Shockingly, Earth which used to be smack-bang in the middle of our sun's habitable zone is now a scant million kilometres away from the warm edge, so almost too hot for liquid water. Of course, we know Earth is robustly life-friendly the mismatch is probably because neither definition accounts for clouds, which reflect sunlight away from Earth.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but could they be referring to the inner edge of the HZ?
From provided Journal Reference:
http://arxiv.org/abs...abs/1301.6674
"According to the new model, the water loss (inner HZ) and maximum greenhouse (outer HZ) limits for our Solar System are at 0.99 AU and 1.70 AU, respectively, suggesting that the present Earth lies near the inner edge."

#116    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,639 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

Very interesting ! But until we have that Greet & Meet ! Im on the fence !

This is a Work in Progress!

#117    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 04 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

What else would one do though? Beyond looking at physics, heck, even quantum physics, we do have an understanding of space, if not an intimate knowledge of it. We know that E=MC2, we know what distances we are dealing with, we know how fast a photon can travel the Universe. What be the point in allowing for imaginary technology that nobody could ever possibly do more than dream about?

All we can say is that based on what we know now,  certain things should not be possible or highly unlikely to have happened.

That's different from flatly saying things ARE impossible, period.

#118    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

View PostHDesiato, on 05 February 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but could they be referring to the inner edge of the HZ?
From provided Journal Reference:
http://arxiv.org/abs...abs/1301.6674
"According to the new model, the water loss (inner HZ) and maximum greenhouse (outer HZ) limits for our Solar System are at 0.99 AU and 1.70 AU, respectively, suggesting that the present Earth lies near the inner edge."

Yeah, you're right: that does sound quite different from what the writer of the article made of it.

#119    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 04 February 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

Disclosure?

Yeah, any day now isn't it.

Been hearing that crap for over 20 years. You will forgive me if I do not hold my breath.

Sad but true story....

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

#120    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

On topic of disclosure.. I see it as whole bunch of government trash coming together on offical level and saying " YES WE HAVE DECEVIED YOU GOOD PEOPLE OF EARTH. we are now gonna alienate you from your bank accounts. " .. joke...If they were, if they havent they will most likely not tell you... the good leaders of earth.

In real we need to wait for guys with big telescopes to say " Yeeess it's there, coming to earth  veeeery slowly, it is an alien!!

Posted Image

" Technology has exceeded our humanity. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users