Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US ends ban on women in frontline combat

leon panetta women combat ban

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,237 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

US Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has lifted the military's ban on women serving in combat roles, potentially opening hundreds of thousands of frontline positions to women.

The ruling, officially announced on Thursday, overturns a 1994 rule barring women from small ground-combat units.

But the military will have until 2016 to argue for any specific posts they think should remain closed to women.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-21172033

Posted Image

#2    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I didn't know there were kitchens at the front line

#3    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,649 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 24 January 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

LMAO!!!  Hell, they could nag the enemy into submission.

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Women have been in combat situations since the 2nd Gulf War if you dont include previous wars. With the static lines of the current conflicts we find ourselves in 143 women have been killed and 800 wounded. It only makes sense they are able to receive the more advanced training necessary to be an asset in these situations.

#5    ozman

ozman

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 359 posts

• dailytechfix.com is my fav tech news.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I didn't even know they were barred from combat roles before, heck there are local police women that kill and get killed all the time so why not have military women capable of combat roles and advanced training?   It's about time they lifted it.  It's also harder for the enemy to kill women too.  Heck if I was in war I would myself find it hard to kill a woman that was on the enemy side.  Hurting children and women are what men find very hard to do.

Edited by ozman, 24 January 2013 - 11:02 PM.

Posted Image

#6    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Ugh, I hope women understand the risks... it would be a million times worse being a woman if captured than a man.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#7    bacca

bacca

Puppet master of Vision

• 2,424 posts

• Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

View PostCRYSiiSx2, on 25 January 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

Ugh, I hope women understand the risks... it would be a million times worse being a woman if captured than a man.

What makes you think that they would not 'understand the risks'? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but that comment makes it seem that a woman wouldn't be smart enough to know that it is risky and that being a woman will have different dangers....

Commit random acts of kindness

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#8    CRYSiiSx2

CRYSiiSx2

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

View Postbacca, on 25 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

What makes you think that they would not 'understand the risks'? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt...but that comment makes it seem that a woman wouldn't be smart enough to know that it is risky and that being a woman will have different dangers....

I might have worded that a bit wrong, but you know what I meant.

Posted Image
NRA - PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
my twitter @sktm06

#9    DarkHunter

DarkHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

I just hope the same physical requirements apply to females that apply to males to ensure the quality of the American military does not go down and I also hope we follow Israel in this and have segregated male and female units.  If I remember correctly Israel segregates its male and female units because it was noticed that in combat situation that when a female soldier got injured certain male soldiers started focusing exclusivity on helping the wounded female soldier no matter how dangerous it was to themselves or the unit and stopped following commands thus destroying unit cohesion.

Personally I am not a fan of this, I do not want PC sentiment entering into the military and I think the potential problems this could cause are not worth the risk, both to the military itself and the nations willingness to carry out a war.

#10    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:27 AM

Good now they can bring me a sammich!

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#11    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,725 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

Omg...almost fell out of my chair. LOL

#12    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,974 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:48 AM

As long as only women who can pass the physical requirements of front-line soldiers actually quality to fight in combat, then I'm fine with it.  Also, all women should have to register for the draft as well, equality and all that.

#13    DarkHunter

DarkHunter

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:51 AM

I agree with that, if women want to fight then they can also sign up for selective service.

#14    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

Posted Image

I feel terrible that I actually laughed at that...

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#15    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,056 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

I have nothing aganist women.but they should not be on the front lines.this is the down fall of the United states military. If they cry watching a moive.waite till they see there friend get blown up in half...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users