Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

'Watershed' Cosmic Explosion Studied

gamma-ray bursts grb 130427a gamma-ray astronomy nasa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,642 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

NASA Missions Study 'Watershed' Cosmic Explosion in Unparalleled Detail

www.nasa.gov said:

On April 27, a blast of light from a dying star in a distant galaxy became the focus of astronomers around the world. The explosion, known as a gamma-ray burst and designated GRB 130427A, tops the charts as one of the brightest ever seen.

A trio of NASA satellites, working in concert with ground-based robotic telescopes, captured never-before-seen details that challenge current theoretical understandings of how gamma-ray bursts work.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,642 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Optical Flash From GRB 130427A

This movie shows GRB 130427A as viewed by the RAPTOR telescopes located near Los Alamos, N.M, and on Mount Haleakala on the island of Maui, Hawaii. The movie opens with wide-field images acquired by a RAPTOR All-Sky Monitor, one of the three identical systems to first detect the burst's optical flash. The movie then switches to observations from RAPTOR-T, which autonomously turned toward the burst after receiving an alert from NASA's Swift. The telescope imaged the burst for 2 hours and captured simultaneous images in four different colors.

Credit: T. Vestrand, LANL/NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,642 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Jet Shockwaves Produce Gamma Rays

Theorists believe that GRB jets produce gamma rays by two processes involving shock waves. Shells of material within the jet move at different speeds and collide, generating internal shock waves that result in low-energy (million electron volt, or MeV) gamma rays. As the leading edge of the jet interacts with its environment, it generates an external shock wave that results in the production of high-energy (billion electron volt, or GeV) gamma rays. Artist's rendering.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,642 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Overview Animation of Gamma-ray Burst

Gamma-ray bursts are the most luminous explosions in the cosmos. Astronomers think most occur when the core of a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel, collapses under its own weight, and forms a black hole. The black hole then drives jets of particles that drill all the way through the collapsing star at nearly the speed of light. Artist's rendering.

Credit: NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    godnodog

godnodog

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

Yeah....my fault....sorry about that....

#6    deslin

deslin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Pics or it didn't happen, NASA :P

#7    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Something about space on the front page just in time for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary! Actually not much of a coincidence being on this site but still, it's fantastic.

SRS

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,642 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:24 AM

View Postdeslin, on 23 November 2013 - 06:35 PM, said:

Pics or it didn't happen, NASA :P
Please explain what you mean here?

In your explanation could you please take into account the fact that there is a video of it happening in THIS thread (the first video to be precise, the one with the title "Optical Flash From GRB 130427A" and the description underneath it explaining what the video shows).

I only ask because your post does rather give the impression that what constitutes scientific discovery is based solely on whether you have seen a picture of it or not.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 24 November 2013 - 01:01 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

Wondering how many planets located in vicinity have been blasted off. Maybe some were inhabited as well. This universe is so wild!

#10    cerberusxp

cerberusxp

Psychic Spy

• 1,061 posts

• We all look for truth, however when we find it, some times we wish we hadn't. R. Burch

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:26 AM

"If one of these happened to go off in a nearby star system within our own galaxy then it would spell certain doom for our planet, however fortunately the odds of this happening are estimated to be less than 1 in 10 million."  Well I must say this is reassuring considering that there are an estimated 3 Billion to 100 Billion in our Galaxy alone. :w00t:

Very interesting that we finally caught one in the act. The odds of that are large enough.

Edited by cerberusxp, 25 November 2013 - 02:29 AM.

What we say and do unto others while here on earth are the vessels of our glory or undoing EXCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THE SKY
credentials http://www.unexplain...amp;pid=2291684

" I want the people of America to work less for the Government and more for themselves" Calvin Coolidge 1924
If one were to try and pidgin hole me I'd say I was a Jeffersonian liberal.

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 6,315 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm glad I was no where near that puppy when it blew...

#12    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,212 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostTaun, on 25 November 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'm glad I was no where near that puppy when it blew...

We wouldn't be talking about it that's for sure!

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 2,089 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:58 AM

Awesome I wish we could see this with the naked eye

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users