Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Athiesm as an escape from reality?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1    dougeaton

dougeaton

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• I am an agnostic, don't like atheist much, well some of them, they can be worse than any die in the wool believer.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

I am an agnostic, and am often amazed at how atheist will accuse xians as well as theist in general of believing in an afterlife because of some kind of self centeredness.  Is this true?  I would think that belief in some god is based on what someone actually thinks as truth.  Many leave both camps, theist and atheist and accept a different view.

I think that atheism can be just as self centered......since each atheist is his or her own god, there is no higher authority, well unless it is some form of secular goverment.  I often think that no afterlife is a blessing=== since I am not sure I want to face myself at death, or god, or some kind of reward or punishment.

I think both atheism and theism are irrational, since neither can be proven, though I also believe that it is not irrational to believe either way.  Science and logic and rational thought have limits I believe and anyone who says differently will have to get rid of many beliefs....since what gives our lives meaning has more to do with metaphycial beliefs.

doug

Edited by dougeaton, 02 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

If you must have  finale absolute answers, then become an  hard nosed atheist or a fundie of any religion, both seem to be black and white thinkers, and have only contempt for those who think differently.

#2    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

POPULAR

Atheism is an escape TO reality.

Edited by Atlantia, 02 October 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#3    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'm atheist but I am by no means selfish or self-centered. I find myself to be part of society, a tangled web of views and opinions and different beliefs. I have mine that I share but I don't try to force them unless evidence has shown it to be true. My atheism isn't one of those 'facts'. I find myself ruled by emotion, even though they're chemical by nature, I cannot rationalize them into a concrete and logical explanation, I ride them out and don't try to control them. Other people's emotions are also another thing I feel controlled by, they express theirs and in response I feel likewise or differently. In short, I'm an atheist of the people, I feel that emotion is all we have and all we need along with knowledge and logic.

Edited by Hasina, 02 October 2012 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#4    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

View Postdougeaton, on 02 October 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

I think that atheism can be just as self centered......since each atheist is his or her own god,

I am not divine to myself.

there is no higher authority, well unless it is some form of secular goverment.

How is that self-centered?

Posted Image

#5    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,167 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I think that atheism can be just as self centered......since each atheist is his or her own god, there is no higher authority, well unless it is some form of secular goverment.  I often think that no afterlife is a blessing=== since I am not sure I want to face myself at death, or god, or some kind of reward or punishment.
Do you have any real examples of this, or is this just what you think?

#6    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,828 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:15 PM

My disbelief in a deity doesn't even effect my day to day life. It's just something that I don't bother with.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#7    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I am an agnostic, and am often amazed at how atheist will accuse xians as well as theist in general of believing in an afterlife because of some kind of self centeredness.  Is this true?  

More like Christians are afraid of death without an afterlife. Heaven is their security blanket.

I would think that belief in some god is based on what someone actually thinks as truth.  Many leave both camps, theist and atheist and accept a different view.

And many don't.......not without facts and such......but these facts get in the way for a lot of theists.

Ah, your usual attack on atheists.....we are not our own gods! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise....

I think both atheism and theism are irrational, since neither can be proven, though I also believe that it is not irrational to believe either way.  Science and logic and rational thought have limits I believe and anyone who says differently will have to get rid of many beliefs....since what gives our lives meaning has more to do with metaphycial beliefs.

doug

You're half right.......the latter one is correct!

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#8    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,828 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

POPULAR

I love people think that atheism is something that we actively participate in or reference when making any decision  I don't think that most people realize that atheists are the same as everyone else, we just believe in one less god.
Is your life defined by your disbelief in Thor? Or Zeus? Do you preface any decision you make with "Well, I don't believe in Ra, so...".

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#9    RockabyeBillie

RockabyeBillie

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

• And a million baneful words couldn't bring me to my knees.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'm not my own god. A disbelief in god means i don't believe in any god of any kind. I answer to human authority just as much as the next person. I don't think I'm better than everyone else because I'm atheist. Maybe you should get to know a few atheists personally before you make these claims. I have Christian friends, and we're fine with each other. They don't try to force their beliefs on me and I don't force mine on them. Only time I retaliate is when I am being attacked.

Atheism is a belief that you were nothing before you were born, you are nothing after you die. There is no safety net, there is no kingdom in the sky, there are no second chances. Make the best of it while you can.

Posted Image

Whether you think you can or whether you think you cant, you're right! -Henry Ford

#10    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

I find agnostics to be wishy washy, that's okay to say, since people generalize atheists as self-centered and theists to be irrational, right?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#11    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Making generalizations about athiests is like saying all snowflakes are the same.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#12    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,828 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 02 October 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Making generalizations about athiests is like saying all snowflakes are the same.

Quite correct. I have many friends who are religious. One in particular is very, very religious. Her and I get along just fine. Even when we get drunk and discuss religion...

#13    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,208 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

My goodness I found the idea in the OP strange...

I'm an atheist.  I LACK a belief in a deities.  If evidence (verifiable and testable) shows up, I change my stance but right now - atheist.

As for escaping reality...no, not even a little bit.  In fact, I would say the opposite.  

I don't get a mystical second chance for forgiveness by asking.  I have to earn that myself from whomever I wronged.  
I don't get a mystical get out of jail card for doing something wrong by asking.  I'm punished right here for that.
There is no mystical magical haven for me for living a good life and doing good things.  I do good things because I want the world to be better and the only reward I get is from myself.
I have no enemies nor do I fear or hate anyone or feel sorry for them because they don't share my ideas.

I'd say that many atheists face reality head on.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#14    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Followers of a certain religion share the commonality of shared but unverifiable belief in specific supernatural 'forces'.

Theists often fall into the mistaken belief that they can 'pigeonhole' atheists becuase of their lack of belief simply because we have a word to describe people who "don't believe".

#15    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,748 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostHasina, on 02 October 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

I'm atheist but I am by no means selfish or self-centered. I find myself to be part of society, a tangled web of views and opinions and different beliefs. I have mine that I share but I don't try to force them unless evidence has shown it to be true. My atheism isn't one of those 'facts'. I find myself ruled by emotion, even though they're chemical by nature, I cannot rationalize them into a concrete and logical explanation, I ride them out and don't try to control them. Other people's emotions are also another thing I feel controlled by, they express theirs and in response I feel likewise or differently. In short, I'm an atheist of the people, I feel that emotion is all we have and all we need along with knowledge and logic.

This is a very good and interesting response, and unique.

peace
mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users