Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Montana Bill for Allowing Roadkill Passes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,847 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:37 PM

http://www.dailyinte...1a4bcf887a.html

If the senate follows suit then Montanans will soon be able to keep that elk or bear they kill with their car on the highway :)
I can hear the dinner conversations now:" Wow, this tastes great, where'd you get it?"  "Oh, about 3 miles south on 471 - just past that big curve"      :w00t:

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#2    shrooma

shrooma

Ugly bag of mostly water.

• 2,707 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

if you listen carefully, you can hear cletus herding the kids into the car.....

Edited by shrooma, 18 February 2013 - 11:43 PM.

''One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery, and a minimum wage.''
-Aldous Huxley-

#3    shrooma

shrooma

Ugly bag of mostly water.

• 2,707 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

I should imagine that something like a bear, or an elk, would make a helluva mess of your car though?
guess there's no such thing as a free lunch after all.....

Edited by shrooma, 18 February 2013 - 11:49 PM.

''One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery, and a minimum wage.''
-Aldous Huxley-

#4    green_dude777

green_dude777

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

I don't think we should ridicule the fact that someone doesn't want to waste an animal carcass... I appreciate the humor, but we create enough taboos among people.  I think it's much more reasonable to use the carcass, than just throw it away.

Yes, they can cause a lot of damage and create a mess.  Drive down the 80/90 turnpike in Pennsylvania around Thanksgiving, you'll see what I mean.

#5    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,146 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

"Honey, I just ran into an elk at 70 mph. All our children died, but guess what! Bringing home dinner"

#6    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,280 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Oregon uses the Deer and Elk ( only fresh kills ) to feed the homeless and poor.....It is butchered and given to a food bank.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,847 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 18 February 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

I don't think we should ridicule the fact that someone doesn't want to waste an animal carcass... I appreciate the humor, but we create enough taboos among people.  I think it's much more reasonable to use the carcass, than just throw it away.

Yes, they can cause a lot of damage and create a mess.  Drive down the 80/90 turnpike in Pennsylvania around Thanksgiving, you'll see what I mean.
Of course! But  I couldn't resist the humorous side -  but the article explains very well the benefit of harvesting what is otherwise perfectly fresh meat - and in some cases a LOT of it.  And at times such collisions are deadly for the car passengers as well.  I saw a midsize vehicle once with the hooves  of an elk sticking from back glass to windshield - the driver was killed of course :(  I didn't intend ridicule of anyone - just saw the humor in the article. :)

#8    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,172 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:25 AM

I was riding with my aunt when a rabbit ran out in front of her car and she hit it. She didn't think twice about putting it out of it's misery and taking it home to cook.

I shudder to think I would have to put down a mortally wounded animal, but hope I could do it on the spur of the moment. for the sake of the animal.

#9    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,847 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:52 AM

View PostMichelle, on 19 February 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

I was riding with my aunt when a rabbit ran out in front of her car and she hit it. She didn't think twice about putting it out of it's misery and taking it home to cook.

I shudder to think I would have to put down a mortally wounded animal, but hope I could do it on the spur of the moment. for the sake of the animal.
I've never had to, but I understand what you mean.  Their suffering would be awful after such injuries.

#10    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,762 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

less "fast food" and more "not fast enough food".
:D

#11    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,479 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

I had four encounters with medium game while driving in my life, let me tell you: buying the meat is cheaper!

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#12    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

This is a good law in my eyes.

A few years ago, a guy hit a deer in front of my house.   As I was down there seeing if he was OK, he told me that I can have the dead deer.   When the cops came, they told me that I couldn't have it and the cops took it.   Not sure where it went from there.   I've asked around and there is not a program to use the meat to feed the poor in my small town.  I would've taken it to the local meat processor and had plenty to share.

#13    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,065 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

In Michigan... the DNR (dept. of natural resources)  used to be responsible for  cleaning up  road kills.    The law has been changed to mandate that the dead animal stay put and let scavengers have it.    
  ... I'm home  honey...   does this smell ok to you?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#14    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,666 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

View Postlightly, on 19 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

In Michigan... the DNR (dept. of natural resources)  used to be responsible for  cleaning up  road kills. The law has been changed to mandate that the dead animal stay put and let scavengers have it.
  ... I'm home  honey...   does this smell ok to you?

That kind of sucks.   Do they just push a dead deer to the side of the road?

#15    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 11,847 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

View PostMyles, on 19 February 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

This is a good law in my eyes.

A few years ago, a guy hit a deer in front of my house.   As I was down there seeing if he was OK, he told me that I can have the dead deer.   When the cops came, they told me that I couldn't have it and the cops took it.   Not sure where it went from there.   I've asked around and there is not a program to use the meat to feed the poor in my small town.  I would've taken it to the local meat processor and had plenty to share.
Back in the '80s my cousin (about 22) went night hunting with some friends for deer.  BIG NO NO...felony.... they shot a doe and when they were going up to claim it they realized that it was in someone's front yard.  That someone turned out to be a game warden and the doe?  It was his daughter's pet :(   Next morning when he was being bailed out by his dad he noticed a wonderful smelling stew and asked what it was - the sheriff said - deer, it's fresh - killed just last night, want some?  :w00t:   He never ate deer again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users