Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does God Exist? Yes, Mathematician Says

Lionel

user posted imageAristotle and Descartes would be pleased to hear Dr. William Hatcher proclaim that even God Himself cannot defy logic. Hatcher, who is a self-proclaimed Platonist philosopher with a Ph.D. in mathematics, delivered a logical proof for the existence of God before an over-filled auditorium in Warren Hall last night. The event marked the first in what the Baha'i student organization hopes will be a series of discussions about religion, science, and philosophy, and how the three topics interrelate. "We just felt like there wasn't enough discussion on campus" about these matters, said Natasha Bruss, BC '05, President of the Baha'i club at Columbia. Baha'i is based on the teachings of the prophet Baha'u'llah, who preached that all religions are one, religion is progressive, and that faith is not meant to be dogmatic.Hatcher, a Baha'i adherent himself, is similarly uninterested in dogma. His discussion explored the existence of God and carefully shied away from any of its implications. Rather, he stated, "we have to transform the religious discourse from a discourse about belief to a discourse about truth." To that end, Hatcher began his discussion with an introduction to Aristotlean, or attributional, logic and its shortcomings.

Aristotle purported to have proven the existence of God, but he did so based on a kind of logic that deals with properties of objects, an approach, he argued, that's less than satisfying considering that God's attributes cannot be perceived. Aristotle insisted that there must be a first cause, namely God, in order to avoid the logical inconsistencies of an infinite regress of causes for the universe.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Columbia Spectator

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PsychicPenguin

• X~File_Agent

• Talon

• Nethius

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.. the temptations you throw out there Lionel!! w00t.gifblink.gif

LOL laugh.gif

The event marked the first in what the Baha'i student organization hopes will be a series of discussions about religion, science, and philosophy, and how the three topics interrelate. "We just felt like there wasn't enough discussion on campus" about these matters

If they are looking for discussions about these topics... all they have to do is visit this site.... tongue.gif

Oh.. the temptations you throw out there Lionel!!  w00t.gif  blink.gif

LOL  laugh.gif

I expected you to reply in this thread wink2.gifdevil.gif

Edited by Lionel

Nothing new, really.

The article is sponsored by Ba'hai faith, and they have a very broad definition of God, which includes all religions, even atheism. By defining God simply as the primary cause that was uncaused.. off coure it is very logical that it exists. wink2.gif As I said in another thread, another possibility is a system of infinite number of univereses that is infinitely old.

Nxt2Hvn.. good job for resisting the temptation here thumbsup.gif

he's done a philosophical proof on nothing more than an unknown cause which for lack of better word they've called god

*edit*

doh, psychic beat me to it:(

Edited by bathory

a religious person says he proves god exists... what a suprise...

he doesnt know how to explain something happened so he says god did it... wasnt this the case so long ago... he thinks this is new???

*No playing the role of a cop*

C'mon folks, let's keep moving there's nothing to see here that you haven't seen before.

Nxt2Hvn - You're right they should of visited this website, if they wanted to get into a discussion.

I'd like to see how they would do with folks like

Seraphina, Bathory, Talon, FluffyBunny, Myself, etc....

Hmmm... Let's invite them to a discussion devil.gif , I bet we won't go past three posts before it gets locked whistling2.gif

I'd like to see how they would do with folks like

Seraphina, Bathory, Talon, FluffyBunny, Myself, etc....

Wow... what a group!! w00t.gif

Maybe you guys should come up with a name for your group! wink2.giftongue.gif

Well, I believe everyone I metioned are all atheists. If they aren't I apologize for mentioning your name, I was writing off the top of my head, and who I see post the most on these topics.

Hmmm.... a group name

Masters of Logic laugh.gifhuh.gif

Evolution Raiders ohmy.gif

Ok, I'm pushing it I better stop... whistling2.gif

A more probable solution to for exampel the creation of human is that a meteor hit earth during an ice age, and that this meteor had micro-organisms on it which again evolve through time (and by this statement I mean that god didn't do it and that the bible is wrong about god creating man and woman),, tongue.gif (might be wrong,,since I'm new to this forum,,)

Write me up in the group of atheists tongue.gif

Edited by DefenderX

Welcome to UM DefenderX. Your theory is valid, and it's something that is still in question as to how we got here.

A more probable solution to for exampel the creation of human is that a meteor hit earth during an ice age, and that this meteor had micro-organisms on it which again evolve through time (and by this statement I mean that god didn't do it and that the bible is wrong about god creating man and woman),, tongue.gif (might be wrong,,since I'm new to this forum,,)

Write me up in the group of atheists tongue.gif

Yes, that is quite brilliant. mellow.gif

However, and I'm not defending any theory here mind you, how did the "micro organisms" get on the meteor in the first place?

And why is "life having begun on a meteor" more plausible than "life having begun on a planet", namely earth? thumbsup.gif

However, and I'm not defending any theory here mind you, how did the "micro organisms" get on the meteor in the first place?

i can only guess as it would be a very unique chemical reaction between 2 or more atoms (or whatever) that may or may not have happened here on earth.... I myself think that his happened on Mars, and those "live" atoms got blasted onto our planet.

i feel it started there (on Mars) simply because i've read that Mars was once in our orbit, and that they have found bacteria in meteors that have came from Mars a long long time ago...

Edited by Nethius

Wherever life started, I'm pretty sure that humans are not evolved from bacterias in a meteor that hit the earth during the ice age wink2.gif

Wow... what a group!! 

Maybe you guys should come up with a name for your group!

Seraphina, Bathory, Talon, FluffyBunny, X~File_Agent & DefenderX

better known as;

The 6 Horsemen of the Apocalypse

i feel it started there (on Mars) simply because i've read that Mars was once in our orbit, and that they have found bacteria in meteors that have came from Mars a long long time ago...

Of course it could just as easily be that life developed on the earth once it had entered that particular orbit, and as far as I know the analysis of the mars meteorite has so far yeilded inconclusive results.

That doesn't mean to say that life didn't hitch a ride to the Earth on a meteorite, just that so far we don't have any conclusive evidence to support that theory.

[

better known as;

That fits! thumbsup.gif

Indeed, but whether the name of its fourth member really fits in is another question. tongue.gif

Edited by Magikman

That didn't really answer my question, being:

...why is "life having begun on a meteor" more plausible than "life having begun on a planet", namely earth?

You can replace "meteor" by "Mars" , "Jupiter" , "xPZwOrp?" or "Venuvian Dune Buggy" if you like, the essence will remain the same.

Wow... what a group!! 

Maybe you guys should come up with a name for your group!

better known as;

I don't think Sera is really a groupie kinda person... tongue.gif

(And I mean that in the most non-doing-sexual-favours-to-rockbands kind of way...) laugh.gif

Of course it could just as easily be that life developed on the earth once it had entered that particular orbit, and as far as I know the analysis of the mars meteorite has so far yeilded inconclusive results.

agreed!

and depending on where you go about that meteor, some say conclusive, others say not... i doubt we'll ever find out for sure!

but yea we may have developed her, or maybe from mars, or maybe from some other galaxy, or maybe there is a god.. who knows? i can only give my personal option wink2.gif

That didn't really answer my question, being:

...why is "life having begun on a meteor" more plausible than "life having begun on a planet", namely earth?

You can replace "meteor" by "Mars" , "Jupiter" , "xPZwOrp?" or "Venuvian Dune Buggy" if you like, the essence will remain the same.

i was replying to this part of your question...

but to answer you're other question, it really isn't... it's just they way i think it happened... maybe i should start looking at time periods a little closer to help me determin what way i should be thinking!

but someone mentioned they didnt think it wouldnt happen through an ice age... well, if bacteria did come from another planet, i'm sure travelling through space is a lot tougher then making it throgh an ice age