Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Might This Be?

Matt Decker

One day I was taking a picture of the sunset with my tablet outside my house. I was not "UFO hunting". I thought it was a beautiful scene and I just wanted to get a picture of it. Later, after zooming in on the sun, I noticed a boxy (for lack of a better word) object in the sky above the power lines. I have made no conclusions about it. I am genuinely curious as to what it might be.

post-153823-0-85575800-1425605509_thumb.

post-153823-0-88052700-1425605529_thumb.

post-153823-0-92603500-1425605562_thumb.

• Like 2

Tablets have notoriously bad cameras. Probably just some sort of artifact.

I don't really know what it is - nice location, btw - but on examining the photos my guess is 'cloud illuminated by the sun.'

• Like 2

I live in a place that is subject to many cloud formations and I have seen such formations here, not often but certainly seen.

I dont know how this happens as the dynamics of fluidics are incredibly varied and stunning in the effects that can bee seen on occasion...

For example, boxe type formations as you posted and incredibly, huge 90 degree angles or rectangular forms as well as spheres and saucer shapes.

I live in a place where cross winds are endemic due to the separation of 2 island masses and the constant stream of the Tasman winds ripping through the place, Windy Wellington in NZ.

So I think it could be an example of cloud formations...much rather it was something as mysterious as a UFO but thats a forbidden word now, overused and all that...

I'm going to say some artifact related to lens flare

Matt, this is a much better thread! :D

A few comments.. My first thought when I looked at the first image (is it full size, straight off the camera/Kindle?) was that it is a small cloud that has its edges backlit brightly by the sun. But there are some technical glitches that may also have caused this, namely:

- jpeg posterisation/quantisation often causes small variations in brightness/color in very bright areas to be falsely emphasised - this may be a real cloud/object, but the effect may be much worse than it really was..*

- could be some type of lens flare, although it is an unusual shape it is in the right place for a 'diagonally mirrored' flare, which is one of the most common types

- could be 'afterburn' - as you set up for that shot you may have had the camera fairly still but moved it (unconciously) in a tiny ellipse, during which time the Sun overloaded the sensors in that area. Then when the actual shot was taken, you had moved it slightly away, but the afterimage remained.

Apart from all that, the fact that you didn't notice anything by eye at the time, suggests it is most likely either a mundane cloud effect, or something that happened in the camera/lens/sensor.

* BTW, be careful if you post-process a shot to emphasise something. If this *was* something related to jpeg posterisation, then adjusting the contrast or saturation to show it 'better' is just adding more false detail.. Always best *not* to muck around and just present the original untouched image, unless you really know what can and can't be done.

• Like 4

Matt, this is a much better thread! :D

A few comments.. My first thought when I looked at the first image (is it full size, straight off the camera/Kindle?) was that it is a small cloud that has its edges backlit brightly by the sun. But there are some technical glitches that may also have caused this, namely:

- jpeg posterisation/quantisation often causes small variations in brightness/color in very bright areas to be falsely emphasised - this may be a real cloud/object, but the effect may be much worse than it really was..*

- could be some type of lens flare, although it is an unusual shape it is in the right place for a 'diagonally mirrored' flare, which is one of the most common types

- could be 'afterburn' - as you set up for that shot you may have had the camera fairly still but moved it (unconciously) in a tiny ellipse, during which time the Sun overloaded the sensors in that area. Then when the actual shot was taken, you had moved it slightly away, but the afterimage remained.

Apart from all that, the fact that you didn't notice anything by eye at the time, suggests it is most likely either a mundane cloud effect, or something that happened in the camera/lens/sensor.

* BTW, be careful if you post-process a shot to emphasise something. If this *was* something related to jpeg posterisation, then adjusting the contrast or saturation to show it 'better' is just adding more false detail.. Always best *not* to muck around and just present the original untouched image, unless you really know what can and can't be done.

Yes the first image is full-size, straight from my Kindle Fire. I cropped it and adjusted the contrast so I could get a better look at it. But as you pointed out, best not to do that. Thanks for your input.
  • Like 2

...Offtopic... - BTW, matt, is your avatar pic, you? Either way, I can't help wanting to see you do a (lame) trick.. :D

(Sorry, 'Dynamo' fans - I just don't think he's very good..)

...Offtopic... - BTW, matt, is your avatar pic, you? Either way, I can't help wanting to see you do a (lame) trick.. :D

(Sorry, 'Dynamo' fans - I just don't think he's very good..)

Yes, that's me. Not an apparently lame magician. haha

Wait, aren't you the guy who thinks his skin condition is a bunch of aliens posting selfies on you??

You're either obsessed or off your meds dude...

Edited by CRYSiiSx2
  • Like 1

Wait, aren't you the guy who thinks his skin condition is a bunch of aliens posting selfies on you??

You're either obsessed or off your meds dude...

I'm sorry...you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a **** what you think about me. LMAO

I'm sorry...you must have mistaken me for someone who gives a **** what you think about me. LMAO

I simply asked a question and sought input from the members on here who are not total jackasses. Obviously that doesn't include you. Dude.

I think this is obvious to most here that what you have witnessed here is the birth of a Megalodon.

• Like 1

Do watch

• Like 2

Did a pretty good job considering how stoned he was! ;)

• Like 3

Did a pretty good job considering how stoned he was! ;)

So good they remixed it :lol:

• Like 2

I simply asked a question and sought input from the members on here who are not total jackasses. Obviously that doesn't include you. Dude.

Your thread was titled, "Meet the Aliens (100% Real)". Hardly sounds like a question to me.

There's people who, like me, believe there are aliens out there somewhere. Who believe it to be highly unlikely they travel hundreds if not thousands of light years to come here and pick on us.

Then there's people like you. Who think everything is caused by aliens. I have a feeling Giorgio Crazy Hair and thirdphaseofmoon YouTube videos have a significant role in your life...

Edited by CRYSiiSx2

Megalodons are known to take to the air to give birth.

This is solved.

• Like 1

Your thread was titled, "Meet the Aliens (100% Real)". Hardly sounds like a question to me.

There's people who, like me, believe there are aliens out there somewhere. Who believe it to be highly unlikely they travel hundreds if not thousands of light years to come here and pick on us.

Then there's people like you. Who think everything is caused by aliens. I have a feeling Giorgio Crazy Hair and thirdphaseofmoon YouTube videos I have a significant role in your life...

I was referring to this thread. That other thread is over. Get over it.

Megalodons are known to take to the air to give birth.

This is solved.

Are you a comedian? I really hope not, because I can't imagine that your career is going well if you are. Keep your day job.

It looks like lens flare, or, that off a small cloud.

There are those disaffected towards the notion of U.F.O's, who are so due to their Faith. Whether religious, or abject materialists.

They are the narrow minded who also refuse to accept the latest revelations in Science and Physics since Einstein. Just ignore them, Matt.

The U.F.O phenomena has been going on for ages, as it has been depicted in various artworks throughout.

• Like 1

It looks like lens flare, or, that off a small cloud.

There are those disaffected towards the notion of U.F.O's, who are so due to their Faith. Whether religious, or abject materialists.

They are the narrow minded who also refuse to accept the latest revelations in Science and Physics since Einstein. Just ignore them, Matt.

The U.F.O phenomena has been going on for ages, as it has been depicted in various artworks throughout.

But of course UFO's exist, and Im a total skeptic, and they have been specifically and scientifically studied for over 20 years, with many pics and vids that are 100% reliable, as seen here

http://www.hessdalen.org/index_e.shtml

The problem is, they are NOT alien ufo;'s

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1