Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Families plagued by cricket balls

Commander CMG

• Charlie Elphicke warned £35,000 bill for safety fence would shut the club
  • Dover MP criticised by local people fed up with damage to homes by balls
  • Parish council said it is 'endeavouring' to find a solution to the problem

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Like 1

It's hard to feel sorry for these people if the club was there first... they knew they were moving next door to it... The people living in the house should buy their own safety fence - problem solved...

• Like 4

Well I must that if they are hitting the balls that good, then they should be signed up for the English cricket team.

As for the home owners who moved there knowing there was a cricket club there, good! they are the type who say " ohhh, I live beside a cricket club" but are surprised when a ball comes through their window!!??

What did they think people do at a cricket club?

• Like 1

Damnit, I feel dirty for agreeing with a bloody Tory!

Club was there first, you need to adapt.

• Like 4

People never cease to amaze me. They will move near a shooting range or car race track and complain about the noise. Developers build new neighborhoods out in the country surrounded by cow, horse, pig and chicken farms and the idiot yuppies move in then complain about the smell. Who would've thought animals smell...duh? One couple even complained because they built a grill outside, a few feet from a fence that contained horses, and the horses pooped while they were trying to eat.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 4

My personal favourite is the people who buy homes across the road from the CLEARLY SIGNED Dakabin "Refuse Recreation Facility" and then campaign tirelessly to have it closed because "it smells". A dump Refuse Recreation Facility that's been there for over 20 years.

• Like 3

I soooo misunderstood that headline. :huh::lol:

Too funny! Like how big could they be, hahaha!

People never cease to amaze me. They will move near a shooting range or car race track and complain about the noise. Developers build new neighborhoods out in the country surrounded by cow, horse, pig and chicken farms and the idiot yuppies move in then complain about the smell. Who would've thought animals smell...duh? One couple even complained because they built a grill outside, a few feet from a fence that contained horses, and the horses pooped while they were trying to eat.

Exactly.. Like city people that buy holiday homes in the country or move to the country and then complain about the farm vehicles slowing down the traffic or the pheasants making too much noise.

• Like 3

Exactly.. Like city people that buy holiday homes in the country or move to the country and then complain about the farm vehicles slowing down the traffic or the pheasants making too much noise.

This time of year, the pheasants round these parts tend to keep fairly quiet and not draw attention to themselves! Peacocks, on the other hand........!

• Like 4

Yep. See it all the time here in farm country. And my shooting club - that has been in the same location for almost 100 years has to deal with its new neighbors all of the time.

• Like 1

My personal favourite is the people who buy homes across the road from the CLEARLY SIGNED Dakabin "Refuse Recreation Facility" and then campaign tirelessly to have it closed because "it smells". A dump Refuse Recreation Facility that's been there for over 20 years.

Some people think thier s ** t does not smell....and are surprised when they realise every ones does!

And for those who buy a house near an airport, just a reminder....those big **** off things which take off, do not do "mute".

Good! Learning to smash windows will help teach our aspiring cricketers to smash the Aussies in future years!

Bring on the Ashes!

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 2

I believe this is a private property issue. Once the cricket ball leaves the private property of the cricket club and smashes the window on another individual's private property the responsibility lies with the cricket club to pay damages.

Comments here in this thread have suggested that this issue is the same as noise and smell complaints from farms and airports.

They differ because while noise and smells are disturbing they haven't crossed the boundaries of protecting property rights while the smashing of an individual's window is a crystal clear violation of infringing on another individuals private property.

BUT, if the cricket club was there before the house (s) was built then its tbe responsibility of the home owner to erect a safety net and/or have adequate insurance to protect their property from the additional expense of broken windows.

If it can be proven that a ball was intentionally hit towards a house with mallace intent then the responsibility would revert back to the individual who hit the ball and/or the cricket club.

I think most would hope any individual who accidently smashed the homeowners window would offer to pay the deductible. Any decent self conscious individual wouldn't think twice about paying.

Edited by acidhead