Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * - - - 3 votes

a picture's worth a few words

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#31    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

My comment was said just as a joke because the thread seemed to have come to a halt. If you stare at something long enough you begin to see other images(clouds are a good example of this), and I'm guessing you think it will always be of a sexual nature, am I right? Or are you saying that men will see something sexual? I am female ........... it says so right there under my avatar!
..so, you were helping things along, right?
....ummm, thanks? :rolleyes:

probably best i respond to this tomorrow, when you've had a chance to see the full version pic i've just posted.

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#32    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't get it.

#33    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

View Postunit, on 08 October 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

now all your friends still think these are just bell peppers

They are bell peppers!
Gosh I feel so naive....

#34    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Nope ...... still got no idea what you're talking about :unsure2:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#35    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,860 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 10 October 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

Nope ...... still got no idea what you're talking about :unsure2:

I believe he is trying to imply that the peppers are sexually suggestive and that it's a hidden subliminal message. I call pareidolia.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#36    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

View Postunit, on 10 October 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

anyone connecting any dots yet?

Connections to dots still eluding me :hmm:

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#37    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,697 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 10 October 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I believe he is trying to imply that the peppers are sexually suggestive and that it's a hidden subliminal message. I call pareidolia.

I'm guessing he's keying on the pepper's stems as being phallic, it's about the only thing I can possibly see.  They sure are odd-looking phalli though as they are bent at the end; you nailed it with pareidolia.  It's saying a lot more about unit's perception and what that pic suggests to him than it is about the prevalence/dangers of subliminal advertising in my opinion.  If he thinks this is suggestive and subliminal, he'll have a field day with ads for Major League Baseball; lots of them include bats and balls.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#38    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:16 AM

oh for the love of God  :)

*snip*

now that i've EXPLAINED it to you - LOOK AGAIN

PMSL
PMSL
PMSL
:)

/slowly backs away from the kool-aid drinkers
"have a great day everyone" :st

Edited by Saru, 31 October 2012 - 10:24 AM.
Removed sexually graphic description

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#39    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,809 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:46 AM

Ugh..no. Nope, still just completely innocent peppers in my eyes.

#40    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,263 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

"Monsanto"...

"Genetically Enhanced"...

"Hive Mind"...

"Mind Control"...

"Ro-Tel"...

"Bell Peppers"...

" :ph34r:"

There's the dots....

I can lead you to the water, but only you can eat the salsa... :yes:

No time to explain!... I have a dozen episodes of Doomsday Preppers to catch up on... :huh:

Cz

Edited by Czero 101, 11 October 2012 - 05:35 AM.

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe..." - Carl Sagan

"For it is the natural tendency of the ignorant to believe what is not true. In order to overcome that tendency it is not sufficient to exhibit the true; it is also necessary to expose and denounce the false." – H. L. Mencken

#41    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

I must admit that I didn't see the image "unit" mentioned until after he stated what he saw. Once he made that statement though, I can definitely see how the yellow pepper looks a lot like a woman bent over with her legs spread and her backside being shown.

As for the green pepper's stem being representive of a penis, it's not quite as evident, but not out of the realm of possibility either (imo).

Had I not seen other instances where such things are done (which I will post below) I probably wouldn't believe that what "unit" sees in the image he presented was done purposely. Since I do know such things are done, however, and since the yellow pepper very much resembles a woman bent over with her legs spread I would not be surprised if it was done purposely.

It is worth mentioning that the fact that people don't see it all too easily is the whole point of these subliminal messages. They are meant to be absorbed into your subconscious.

These are two Coke adds that are a bit more obvious to notice (and no, they aren't photoshopped).

Posted Image

If you don't see it right away, once you do it's hard to deny it being there.

Below is another example from the Coke company (not quite as blatant though).

Posted Image

This last one shows Skittles putting "sex" in your mind through their product in another manner.

Posted Image

Posted Image

See how they "cleverly" put the skittle with it's "S" right in front of the capital "E" and "X" in the word "explosion" while all the letters that follow are lower case. It's done purposely.

So while people may dispute "unit's" bell peppers being a real subliminal message using sex to subconsciously grab peoples attentions as a means of getting them to enter a store or by a product, the examples I've shown above are pretty obvious.

There are a number of other examples where companies use such subliminal messaging to make their product more appealing to consumers by acting on their subconsciousness.

#42    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,697 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:09 PM

View Postunit, on 11 October 2012 - 03:16 AM, said:

oh for the love of God  :)
My sentiments exactly....

- post removed -

Oh, well yes, it's all so obvious now. That stem looks more like a faucet to me, maybe they're trying to get me to upgrade my plumbing hardware.  Seriously man, look up, and comprehend, the word, 'pareidolia'.

PMSL
PMSL
PMSL
:)

/slowly backs away from the kool-aid drinkers
"have a great day everyone" :st

I have no idea what 'PMSL' means, and you aren't really using the term 'kool-aid drinkers' correctly.  You are the one that started this contrived, "I'll tell you in a week why I'm posting this and it will shock you and change the way you look at everything" game, sorry to disappoint.  What leftfield posted is more along the lines of what I think of as subliminal advertising, but even those I'm not sure are intentional in the sense that the marketing people intentionally included it to have an effect.  It is pretty well established that artists have snuck in these kind of images, especially in ice cubes, as a joke or in fun or out of sheer boredom.  This also isn't nearly as serious as you make it out to be as studies have already shown that real subliminal advertising is not really that effective and not long-lasting.

Overall the only thing I can recommend is that you steer clear of the produce section at your local market.

Edited by Saru, 11 October 2012 - 08:45 PM.
Removed quote

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#43    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:51 PM

Okay, assuming for a moment that what you say is true and advertisers are doing this on purpose: how does it work? I see genitalia in a photo of peppers outside the mall and .......... what? I buy peppers because of this? Even though peppers are not on my list, lol? Do the advertisers not realise that they may also be putting a lot of people off buying peppers?

I think it's much more likely that it's just the artists/photographers having a laugh, as Liquid Gardens says.

As for the coke advert with a woman lying in it ..... that's very contrived. I wouldn't imagine that that was done intentionally.  As I said before: some people will see pictures in anything ...... Jesus in a slice of bread, Mary in an apple, and everyone sees pictures in clouds.

Blimey! What a let down. :hmm:

p.s. I also do not know what PMSL means ........ explanation, please.

#44    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,016 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

what a waste of my time.
unit, you are making a great big deal out of nothing.  i suggest you get a hobby or something.

#45    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Are you sure they're not just peppers?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users