Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Redirection - Seymour M. Hersh

Phaeton80

..A refreshing view on the newly emerging terrorist organisation known as IS(IS).

New Yorker

March 05 / 2007

The Redirection

Is the Administration’s new policy benefitting our enemies in the war on terrorism?

A Strategic Shift

In the past few months, as the situation in Iraq has deteriorated, the Bush Administration, in both its public diplomacy and its covert operations, has significantly shifted its Middle East strategy. The “redirection,” as some inside the White House have called the new strategy, has brought the United States closer to an open confrontation with Iran and, in parts of the region, propelled it into a widening sectarian conflict between Shiite and Sunni Muslims.

To undermine Iran, which is predominantly Shiite, the Bush Administration has decided, in effect, to reconfigure its priorities in the Middle East. In Lebanon, the Administration has coöperated with Saudi Arabia’s government, which is Sunni, in clandestine operations that are intended to weaken Hezbollah, the Shiite organization that is backed by Iran. The U.S. has also taken part in clandestine operations aimed at Iran and its ally Syria. A by-product of these activities has been the bolstering of Sunni extremist groups that espouse a militant vision of Islam and are hostile to America and sympathetic to Al Qaeda.

[..]

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2007/03/05/the-redirection

Who were the men, women and children who continually were being slaughtered where they were queueing for bread? I remember multiple instances where this happened. If the majority of Syrians support the government then why would the only entity with helicopters (the government) drop barrel bombs on them?

I don't pretend to know what's going on there, or who is pulling the strings. But at worst all the west did was open an opportunity for the old animosities to come violently to the surface again. Blame the west - okay. It's the west's fault 100%...now what? Do we try to ignore the jihadi sectarian groups? Do we surrender to their demands? Do we continue the fight? I for one am willing to concede that the western governments may well have been playing strategic games and it blew up on all of us. But blaming anyone for starting a fire that's burning down your home - while it's still burning, is ignorance at it's worst.

• Like 1

Going into another 'war to regain peace' without recognizing and explicitly verbalising the facets which facilitated the present situation (again), approaches the definition of insanity quite nicely.

To merely battle the symptom(s), while not adressing the cause.. is ignorance at its worst. In my opinion.

• Like 1

Having said that, give me the gear and Ill join the fight against ISIS tomorrow. Regardless of the origin of this extremist group. I am not preaching pacifism here. Not while women and children are dying by their hands.

But when the gravest threat has been dimmed, a lot of things need to change in how the West treats the ME to stop it from happening again.

The article is 7 years old. Is it still refreshing?

Did you hear this (OP info) mentioned on the eight o'clock news / mainstream media recently?

I havent.

Edited by Phaeton80

Blame the the west - okay.

Seems to be the popular thing to do.

now what?

I'm glad you asked.

Do we try to ignore the jihadi sectarian groups?

Well.. If we ignore them, they will just get bored and go away.

Do we surrender to their demands?

Yes. After all they won't stop killing, taking land and trying to bring about an apocalyptic end to this planet through the destruction of Israel so there god will return untill we do.

Do we continue the fight?

Nope, we just bend over and take it wherever they want to put it.

I for one am willing to concede that the western governments may well have been playing strategic games and it blew up on all of us.

I would have to agree with this. There is definitely position and power being sought for in the Middle East. What is the position and who is the power? I think only time will tell.

But blaming anyone for starting a fire that's burning down your home - while it's still burning

This is not only a good time start pointing fingers, it's the best time to start pointing fingers. :rolleyes:

To merely battle the symptom(s), while not adressing the cause.. is ignorance at its worst. In my opinion.

What is the cause and what are the symptoms?

But when the gravest threat has been dimmed, a lot of things need to change in how the West treats the ME to stop it from happening again.

If it's not the West then it's going to be the East, and if it's not the East then it will be the North. Untill greed has gotton what it desires out of the Middle East there will be no peace. Even if we wern't there do you think there would still be peace? After all they are fighting each other are they not?

Edited by Ogbin

What is the cause and what are the symptoms?

Please read OP.

If it's not the West then it's going to be the East, and if it's not the East then it will be the North. Untill greed has gotton what it desires out of the Middle East there will be no peace. Even if we wern't there do you think there would still be peace? After all they are fighting each other are they not?

Agreed. Presently though, from where Im standing, the West has an unsurpassed level of control over - or hand in - the present ME situation.

This is exactly what I mean when I say "a lot of things need to change in how the West treats the ME to stop it from happening again". 'Greed' (short term, short sighted service to self state of mind) should be removed as one of the main drivers of Western ME policy.

Freedom and prosperity is the only way to peace.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

'Greed' should be removed as one of the main drivers of Western ME policy.

Nations and World Empires have been fighting over their(especially around/for and including Israel) for thousands of years. Everyone has, is and is going to try to get a slice of that strategic pie called the Middle East. All in the name of Greed.

Edited by Ogbin

Going into another 'war to regain peace' without recognizing and explicitly verbalising the facets which facilitated the present situation (again), approaches the definition of insanity quite nicely.

Actually that's my reason behind supporting intervention. As bad as Saddam was, Iraq would not be in this situation now if not for his removal. He kept a lid on sectarian violence with his own brand. The system that replaced him has disaffected Sunnis. It has moved Iraq closer to Iran. The war certainly gave IS fighters a lot of practice too.

This is the West's mess and the West's responsibility.

Actually that's my reason behind supporting intervention.

Im confused. Wasnt Saddam ousted by way of 'intervention' (based on a blatant lie)? Dont get me wrong, I agree with the rest of what you stated. Seems to me you forgot a 'not' somewhere in that first sentence (?)

Same goes Libya / Qadhafi. Its not in the news as much yet, but its brewing over there. As is the case in Syria now, and structurally so if and when Assad is toppled. And thats only the second layer of broad and invasive Western ME manipulation at play mind you. The Ba'ath party (Iraq, Syria) as well as 'the Iranian Revolution' (Iran; Khamenei) was facilitated by Western (US/GB) manipulation.

Edited by Phaeton80

'Arab' nations like Saudi Arabia and Qatar are Western satellites, used as a proxy to foment and feed the latest Sunni Wahhabi extremist elements, while not having a direct link back to the source.

They are used to structurally destabilize, reconfigure / fragment the ME nations and pose a continuous clear & present danger to the Western populus. To fuel 'The Neverending War on Terror'.

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 2

They are used to structurally destabilize, reconfigure / fragment the ME nations and pose a continuous clear & present danger to the Western populus. To fuel 'The Neverending War on Terror'.

Yes, I would have to agree with this, to a point.

Edited by Ogbin

ISIS, Turkey and the Propaganda of Intervention

October 10, 2014 (Eric Draitser - NEO) - Today’s headlines are filled with reports of the imminent fall of the Syrian city of Kobani to forces of the Islamic State (ISIS). There are terrifying descriptions of an imminent massacre and the looming threat to Turkey as Islamic State forces move ever closer to the Turkish-Syrian border. Turkish President Erdogan waxes poetic about how he “warned the West” about the threat IS would pose and the dangers of inaction. It seems that everyone, including security experts and pundits, agree that the situation is critical and that US bombardment alone is powerless to protect the town or halt IS.

And yet, somehow lost amid the din of cries for intervention is the simple fact that it is US policy and the actions of the aforementioned Erdogan along with his counterparts in Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, and Israel that created ISIS, nurtured it in its infancy, promoted its development, and unleashed it on Iraq and Syria. And now, for those same leaders, along with a chorus of interventionist voices in the media establishment, to sound the alarm is not only cynical and utterly disingenuous, it is a shining example of the arrogance of empire.

[..]

Since at least late 2011, US intelligence has been working diligently along the Turkish-Syrian border to funnel arms and fighters into Syria in hopes of bringing down the Assad regime. As the NY Times reported in June 2012:

C.I.A. officers are operating secretly in southern Turkey, helping allies decide which Syrian opposition fighters across the border will receive arms to fight the Syrian government… The weapons, including automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, ammunition and some antitank weapons, are being funneled mostly across the Turkish border by way of a shadowy network of intermediaries including Syria’s Muslim Brotherhood and paid for by Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Qatar… The Obama administration has said it is not providing arms to the rebels, but it has also acknowledged that Syria’s neighbors would do so.

http://landdestroyer.blogspot.nl/

Edited by Phaeton80

I admit, I will never understand this. The differences in the Sunni, the Shia, the Wahabi...I don't understand and I guess I don't need to.

Perhaps it's like the Protestant revolution...Luther calling the pope the anti-Christ and the Pope calling Luther the anti-Christ...but eventually Catholics and protestants managed to figure out a way to live in the same towns.

But one thing that I cannot let go of and have no proof of....

This still has something to do with oil and money....I just feel it in my bones

• Like 1

This still has something to do with oil and money....I just feel it in my bones

That is - 'at the end of the day' - exactly what the OP implies.

i think it has little to do with oil, and a lot to do to keep war machine and defence industry making money. few thousands of lives lost on our side alone do not mean much to them. (let alone many thousands on other side), war is good for buissnes.

Perhaps it's like the Protestant revolution...Luther calling the pope the anti-Christ and the Pope calling Luther the anti-Christ...but eventually Catholics and protestants managed to figure out a way to live in the same towns.

Unless you're Irish

The problem is some picks and choose what they want to acknowledge from days gone past ... some may be valid but mostly ... they are all still connected ~ the ones that has most to gain and has the most influence on the events are still at the table ...

Lizzie Suiter, Jennifer Hucke

and Courtney Schultz

EDGE Final Paper

December 2004

The War at Home:

A Look at Media Propaganda in WWII, Vietnam, and the War in Iraq

Every war that America faced has been fought on two fronts, one at home and one abroad. This war at home, battled through media propaganda, is essential to win over public support which, in turn, creates a united front against the common enemy. In this paper, we are going to look at three different wars, examining the evidence and dissecting the different methods of spreading propaganda which have been used by both the media and the government. Using the examples of World War II, Vietnam War, and the War in Iraq, this paper will analyze how propaganda has evolved from pure persuasion of public opinion through mass media into the privately owned, war mongering media of today

• microsoft DOC link ( ~ In this paper, we are going to look at three different wars, examining the .... )

• Like 1