Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crocs can climb trees

DieChecker

I can't believe this is not already posted.

http://www.naturewor...climb-trees.htm

It turns out that at least four species of crocodilians could climb trees. Also, smaller crocodiles are better climbers than larger ones.

Crocodiles-Climb-Trees-Use-Tools-and-Do-Surveillance.jpg

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

Intelligent, crafty, inventive, agile on land, sea, and now "air"...and deadly. My favorite characteristics in a predator. :passifier:

• Like 1

Ahh, Australia. Always coming up with new ways to brutally murder the locals.

I love this country.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6ud8s.jpg

Blimey, recent news would suggest Mermaids can too then!

Not really that surprising, reptiles like aquatic turtle and alligators often bask on semi-submerged tree trunks that jut out of the water, so it's not hard to see them climbing on near horizontal tree limbs. There are cases where alligators have climbed up and over a 6' chain link fence, that was pretty impressive! When manatees are seen basking up in a tree, call me.

Edited by Sundew
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, without me actually having read the article: crocs are "remarkably adept"... yet they just figured this out NOW?? Next year they're gonna be amazed at just how well birds can fly!

Are we safe nowhere now? Well, I guess in the Artic. No crocs there.... right? O.O

Well coconuts kill far more people than crocs and alligators and sharks combined, so you need to pay attention all around you,

• Like 1

Well coconuts kill far more people than crocs and alligators and sharks combined, so you need to pay attention all around you,

I believe I heard the statistic that in New Guinea, death from falling objects (limbs, branches, etc.) is the number one cause of death, and of the deadly objects I think I remember that 50% were coconuts. If you visit Florida you have no idea how tall coconut trees can get, Lethal Yellowing Disease killed most of the large ones some 25-30 years age and the resistant ones are still fairly young. Go to Hawai`i or some other tropical country not affected by LYD and you can see coconut palms 80-100 feet or so in height and a 10 pound coconut falling from this height can do serious damage.

Still a coconut won't chase you down and eat you.....

• Like 1

I believe I heard the statistic that in New Guinea, death from falling objects (limbs, branches, etc.) is the number one cause of death, and of the deadly objects I think I remember that 50% were coconuts. If you visit Florida you have no idea how tall coconut trees can get, Lethal Yellowing Disease killed most of the large ones some 25-30 years age and the resistant ones are still fairly young. Go to Hawai`i or some other tropical country not affected by LYD and you can see coconut palms 80-100 feet or so in height and a 10 pound coconut falling from this height can do serious damage.

Still a coconut won't chase you down and eat you.....

Crushed skull kills you just as dead as being disemboweled.

Well here's something I didn't know people didn't know. When I read the headline I was like yeah, I've seen that before. But apparently it's news ... weird.

Wow. Never heard of such a thing. Didn't know some of their species could actually climb trees.

Being born and raised in Florida, I always looked down. Now I know better.

That is not going to give me much comfort next time I am fishing along the mangroves for red snapper. I would hate to have one drop out of the tree and into the boat. I have never seen one in a tree, but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Blimey, recent news would suggest Mermaids can too then!

Yes, but then mer!maids have grasping hands.

• Like 1

How is this only now just being "discovered"?

Good question. Not sure. I do know that some of the oddities of various creatures can be hard to authenticate if it's specific to a sub-species, or, if it's not easily, frequently observed.

Yes, but then mer!maids have grasping hands.

Grasping hands...!

Must be the Action Man/Gi Joe version ;)

• Like 1

Croc's don't often like full-grown humans(though not unheard of) Babies and small children, pet dogs, etc... now that's a different story.

How is this only now just being "discovered"?

Maybe, its a new thing, evolution at work.