Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Ice Age Civilization

• Please log in to reply
695 replies to this topic

#61    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,203 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostArbitran, on 12 September 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

And, finally, might I ask how spirituality is independent of religious books? In what sense does "spirituality" exist, apart from religious texts which claim there is such a thing in the first place?

I think the fact that Neanderthal buried their loved ones, with flowers and personal possessions indicates a belief in an afterlife/ Spirituality.   They didn't have religious "Books"  .. although some of their art probably held "religious" ideology?

It's obvious, if we think about it,  that "spirituality' preceded books, or writing as we know it,  in many instances?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#62    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 12 September 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

Nevermind. Was reffering to Isaac Askimov the science fiction writer who wrote the foundation series with a protagonist called 'The Mule'.

That would be Asimov. Never read him. I have read Cremo though, and he sounds like a man desperately trying to validate his religion through "science." Fun to read but not credible.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#63    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Can you tell me what was not credible about the information he has provided in that book?He has just stated case studies in archeology and anthropology and their interpretations by the mainstream.

#64    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Briefly (since im at work)....his claim that modern humans (homo sapiens sapiens) are millions of years old. That the stories in Vedas are real.

Posted Image

#65    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,367 posts

• Question everything

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 12 September 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Can you tell me what was not credible about the information he has provided in that book?He has just stated case studies in archeology and anthropology and their interpretations by the mainstream.

I haven't read it but I've read the information he uses as presented online on sites such as s8int.com. From just these we can say several things about his methodology.

-He reads things that are claimed to have happened and proceeds as if they did happen with no substantiation.

-He takes things that look like other things and acts on the assumption that they are those things on appearance alone.

-He makes almost no attempts to falsify his conclusions and disregards alternate explanations if he addresses them at all..

Any one of these is enough to call his work into question.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#66    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,739 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostThe Mule, on 12 September 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

That would be Asimov. Never read him. I have read Cremo though, and he sounds like a man desperately trying to validate his religion through "science." Fun to read but not credible.
The Mule was a character in the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov. he was a mentalist or  some creep who count exert his mind over others and bend them to his will. he was a conqueror of galaxies and what not. He defeats the First Foundation and is aware of the Second Foundation but not its location.  He tries to find the location of the Second Foundation but is finally defeated by them.

the Foundation Trilogy is an awesome read!!!!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#67    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostThe_Spartan, on 12 September 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

The Mule was a character in the Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov. he was a mentalist or  some creep who count exert his mind over others and bend them to his will. he was a conqueror of galaxies and what not. He defeats the First Foundation and is aware of the Second Foundation but not its location.  He tries to find the location of the Second Foundation but is finally defeated by them.

the Foundation Trilogy is an awesome read!!!!

Sorry to say....my name has much more obscure origins

Posted Image

#68    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,989 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

View Postwhitegandalf, on 10 September 2012 - 12:55 AM, said:

As I recall Neanderthals did not come from Africa. They arose in western Asia and Europe from a previous species (or several species) of Homo which had left Africa.

You are correct.

But a Neanderthal civilization? While there's plentiful evidence for Neanderthals, there's no indication they ever came close to the level of socio-political sophistication required for a civilization to emerge. They were simply hunter-gatherers.

Anything is possible.
Sorry, but not everything is possible.

Ass underwater archeology is still at its birth and the sea is less explored than the moon who knows what we will find in the future.
I just wanted to point out that, in underwater archaeology, usually the entire body is submerged!

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Anybody like Coleridge?

#69    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostOniomancer, on 12 September 2012 - 03:06 PM, said:

I haven't read it but I've read the information he uses as presented online on sites such as s8int.com. From just these we can say several things about his methodology.

-He reads things that are claimed to have happened and proceeds as if they did happen with no substantiation.

-He takes things that look like other things and acts on the assumption that they are those things on appearance alone.

-He makes almost no attempts to falsify his conclusions and disregards alternate explanations if he addresses them at all..

Any one of these is enough to call his work into question.
He also states that the premise he uses is same as the premise used by mainstreamers in that field.He also states how the mainstream is satisfied with half proofs for particular finds whereas it completely rejects other finds based on the same type of proofs.I feel he makes a lot of sense.

#70    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,367 posts

• Question everything

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

In the mainstream though you usually have both something you can physically point to as proof of it's existence and a process for comparison and evaluation when you do.
Cremo appears to skip all this and plunge right into it without all those bothersome little things like context or probability.

If he questions these alleged practices in mainstream archaeology, it seems disadvantageous if not disingenuous for him to do the same.

Edited by Oniomancer, 12 September 2012 - 06:28 PM.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#71    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 12 September 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Nice points sesh but very easily counterable neverthless you gave a lot of new material for Devolution in your arguments.Like women having lesser number of progeny nowdays as compared to before.And you have led me to think that evolution cannot be understood only in terms of the material world but it is also guided by conscious choice voiced by sentient beings or organisms in response to their environments or out of their own free will.Uptill now most evolutionist think of evolution as a defunct process based on interaction of organism with their physical environments and the infamous random mutations for improvement,while you can apply this to lower organism to some extent but once the organism becomes sufficiently complex to be sentient then probably the concious choices it makes would have definately played a big role in it's evolution along with environmental factors.Now unless we account for the impact of free will for the evolution of sentient organisms the concept remains highly incomplete.For eg- what if the first monkey to turn into a man decided to commit suicide or jumped of a cliff? probably then we would have had to wait for millions of more years to have such a random progressive mutation again for humans to evolve.

Also spirituality is independant of relegions of a book.

My earlier post has little to nothing to do with evolution. To be perfectly honest I'm not terribly interested in the science of evolution in the first place. My interest lies in the archaeology and research of ancient Near Eastern civilizations.

My point about women having more children in the past is unrelated to evolution. It expresses a relationship with ancient people's environmental and social conditions. As I explained in my earlier post, the only reason women had so many children in the ancient past is that many of the children (at least 30%) didn't survive past five years of age. So if anything, today's situation reflects a much better state of being. Women tend to get married later and have fewer children because there is no driving need for someone to be giving birth every year for around ten years (although I understand some women do this, anyway).

Men and women today also tend to live significantly longer, as I also explained in my earlier post. Here again, today's situation reflects a much better state of being. The average child living right now in the West can expect to live around 78 years. This is more than 40 years longer than a child could've expected to live in ancient times.

This is not evolution. Evolutionary developments usually take tens of thousands of years to appear in a species, not a few thousand years.

I agree with you about spiritually. Strictly speaking, however, spirituality and religion are two different things.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#72    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,225 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 12 September 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

Nice points sesh but very easily counterable neverthless you gave a lot of new material for Devolution in your arguments.Like women having lesser number of progeny nowdays as compared to before.

De-evolution is a return to a EARLIER state for a creature. Moving toward a SIMPLER state for a creature is still evolution.

Moving toward simpler does not equal deevolution.

As to women, you'd need to point out how lower fertility or less offspring is consistant with a species that existed before Homo Sapiens. The same with Strength or endurance or whatever trait you like. Simpler does not equal regression.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#73    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,907 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

underwater archeology is still at its birth and the sea is less explored than the moon who knows what we will find in the future.

That is a myth.   It is not true.

#74    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:21 PM

Evolution has never claimed that a monkey turned into a man. Are you under the impression that mutations and large feature developments occur in individuals?

Edited by Arbitran, 12 September 2012 - 11:22 PM.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#75    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• 1,464 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Something I'd like to throw in here... feral children - human children raised by animals - are a staple of fiction (Tarzan, Mowgli) but there are a few well-authenticated cases of real feral children. And in every case, children who were raised from infancy for several years by animals were mentally crippled. Intelligence, it seems, does not develop if there's no culture to support it.

So it's entirely possible that early h. sapiens, physically identical to us, may not have been very bright at all, until a culture had accrued that let him develop his mental potential. And that might have happened only recently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users