Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Outside of Christianity

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1    ambelamba

ambelamba

Just an average guy who tries to be...NORMAL!!!!

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am constantly shocked and sad over the fact that average Americans are completely ignorant outside of their Abrahamic faith.

There are more than Christianity. In fact, there's whole plethora of different and often incompatible beliefs.

I am still struggling to break free from the shackle of Christianity. I am going through a lot of difficulties these days and the idea of this Abrahamic deity tortures my mind. I have trouble breaking free from the thought of a monotheistic deity influencing my life.

In fact, I envy atheists and people who raised from non-Abrahamic backgrounds. At least they don't have to live in fear of a jealous and petty deity who tortures people just to make a point.

Some Korean guy joked that the book of Deuteronomy is more exciting than The Shining or Carrie. Well, actually it's very torturous to me because I simply can't shake off the idea of a punishing deity.

You know, I simply want to live a good life and pursue whatever spirituality I want to study. I am very interested in Buddhism and Taoism, and they are very incompatible with monotheistic Abrahamic worldview. The only thing that holds me back from freely pursuing my spiritual quest is my excruciating hardship.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

-Chief Pontiac (1718-1769)

#2    MONICAMAS

MONICAMAS

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

• The negativity dont pull you through. By Brian Jones 1967.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:10 PM

WOW!!!

#3    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

What god are you worshipping that believes torture and pain are ways to make a point?

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,433 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

I'm sorry for your situation man.  I fully believe in your sincerity on this and I just can't relate to it.  I guess I overlook all the things from the O.T. about punishments and concentrate on the fact that I can be delivered from it by believing and trying my best to follow Christ's example.  Maybe I'm deluded but it gets me through a life that has been SPECTACULARLY BAD at times... most of all I just try to not hurt others and be thankful in everything I can be...
Best wishes for you.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#5    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,327 posts

• It's good to be mildly skeptical to remain sane. But too much of it will make you a douche.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:47 AM

This song is my exact sentiment toward God.

They came with a Bible and their religion. stole our land, crushed our spirit, and now they tell us we should be thankful to the Lord for being saved.

#6    Irrelevant

Irrelevant

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:41 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 26 June 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

I am constantly shocked and sad over the fact that average Americans are completely ignorant outside of their Abrahamic faith.

There are more than Christianity. In fact, there's whole plethora of different and often incompatible beliefs.

I am still struggling to break free from the shackle of Christianity. I am going through a lot of difficulties these days and the idea of this Abrahamic deity tortures my mind. I have trouble breaking free from the thought of a monotheistic deity influencing my life.

In fact, I envy atheists and people who raised from non-Abrahamic backgrounds. At least they don't have to live in fear of a jealous and petty deity who tortures people just to make a point.

Some Korean guy joked that the book of Deuteronomy is more exciting than The Shining or Carrie. Well, actually it's very torturous to me because I simply can't shake off the idea of a punishing deity.

You know, I simply want to live a good life and pursue whatever spirituality I want to study. I am very interested in Buddhism and Taoism, and they are very incompatible with monotheistic Abrahamic worldview. The only thing that holds me back from freely pursuing my spiritual quest is my excruciating hardship.

what Koren guy was that?

#7    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,938 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:35 AM

You are on a spiritual journey ron. Over comeing dogma is always the first Step. Cudos for you.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#8    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 3,823 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I don't have any answers to anyone else's problems, but for myself, when I start identifying myself with my thoughts I soon realize I'm in trouble. Thoughts are just thoughts, not too important. They come they go. If some particular thought bothers me, I try not to pay attention to it, not give it energy. After a while it fades, then I can laugh at it, what a stupid thought that was. With perspective, it wasn't such a big deal, after all.

We are only really alive when we give our attention to the present moment with a quiet mind. When we are compulsively thinking, or we are living in past memories that bother us, we are not actually alive. We become these bothersome thoughts and memories and we suffer. Thoughts are just thoughts, not too important.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#9    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,045 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ron,
I went from Christian to agnostic/atheist as a result of reading the Bible.  I decided to find out what the historical and scientific explanations for biblical phenomena were.  Boy, did I get a shock.  I started with the Pentateuch.  There are 34 references to Baal in the Pentateuch, but only three to Jehovah.  The "Israelites" were Baal worshippers.  The violent god of the OT is Baal.  Read the story of Balaam and the talking donkey.  Make careful note of who is speaking.  Baal is referred to as "the Almighty" and "Lord."

There are rational explanations for everything mentioned in the Exodus - the "walls of water" at the "Red Sea Crossing" are easily explained by surge and seiche waves.  The pillar of cloud and pillar of fire were signaling torches and smokeboxes on a long pole, used to signal the troops.

There is no solid evidence that Jesus ever lived.  Nobody says he talked to him; nobody even met anybody who met him.  From the date of Jesus' (hypothetical) death to the time that a writer first mentions the four modern gospels is 150 years.

I grant that it is difficult to free yourself from the crushing, stifling weight of Abrahamic religion, but it is well worth doing once you get there.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#10    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,327 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

If I was in a better life situation I would freely pursue whatever spirituality I want to study. :(

#11    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,554 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:59 PM

Oh Ron, dude, Hardship is where spirituality begins.  If it wasn't for my spiritual path I would be a bitter sad man in a wheelchair. It was my spiritual path that gave me the strength to get back up in spite of all the pain and those who said I would never walk again.  You know me my spiritual path is as far away the big three as you can get.  I am starting on the path to Druid clergy. I started my first official class this month, from an internet site. It is going to be as least another month until I get the to first part done. It is really not easy, at all. One of my mentors has PhD in Physics.  I think it will take me about 6 years to get it all done.  It is away I can give back what has been given me.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#12    ambelamba

ambelamba

• 3,327 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:06 AM

I just came to realize that I have scrupulosity, a form of OCD that is related to religious fear. I took a nap this afternoon and had a dream. I met Buddha. I don't remember what he told me but I think he told me something soothing and encouraging.

#13    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,453 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 29 June 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

I just came to realize that I have scrupulosity, a form of OCD that is related to religious fear. I took a nap this afternoon and had a dream. I met Buddha. I don't remember what he told me but I think he told me something soothing and encouraging.
I don't know why you think Buddhism is incompatible with Christianity - I am a christian yet I love buddhist practices and teachings.  I find them very compatible, the fact that they do not believe in a supreme being and I do has not caused any issues, a path that is tolerant of what is inside others allows others to explore themselves and that is what Buddhism is.

As to my christian beliefs, I am a christian because I was baptised as a Roman Catholic but more importantly because I love Jesus and his teachings - beyond that my leanings are toward more gnostic teachings and they insist we also know what is inside us in very much the same way buddhism does.  Dogma cloaks and camouflages the wisdom that is available in christianity and that is a shame, if we step outside that we can keep our faith and practice it much more generously, at least that has been my experience so far.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#14    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 29 June 2013 - 03:06 AM, said:

Sure that was Buddha and not David Icke?
:-)

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." (Salman Rushdie)

#15    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,531 posts

• Just because it is in a book doesn't mean it is real or even remotely true.

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostRon Jeremy, on 27 June 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

If I was in a better life situation I would freely pursue whatever spirituality I want to study. :(

Ron..I hate to say this but that there sounds like a cop-out.
You are an adult, right? No one can make you follow a "spiritual" path that doesn't agree with you. You are making yourself a slave to religion.
Sorry..I meant that in the nicest way possible.

Religion is a choice not a "I have to because mommy and daddy said so".

Edited by Ryu, 29 June 2013 - 12:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users