Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Book of Mormon confirms that God is real.

GentlyHewStone

Using baby cuteness to try and lure people in. How despicable. :passifier:

• Like 3

That was freaking brutal.

I'll recap so nobody else has to suffer through that idiot's voice.

"God is real because names, locations, and grammar."

Shouldn´t this be posted on April 1st?

What about the whole "God punished Ham by making him black, therefore no black men allowed to be priests (before some time in the 70s)" business? Was that divinely inspired too?

Or the "lost tribe of Israel in America" bit? You know the one, the one that's been PROVEN to be cobblers courtesy of LDS sponsored DNA testing.

Or the "translating" the Egyptian Book of the Dead into the Book of Mormon via a magic hat.

Or how Smith died in a shootout after being broken out of prison, him being arrested for destroying a printing press because the owner of the press was printing stuff he didn't like.

Or the "God says polygamy is fine" "wait ... the government says we can't be part of America if we have polygamy so God changes his mind" stuff.

Or the rampaging sexual discrimination - Man will become as God, woman will have spirit babies for all eternity. Woman can't be priests (don't bring up Catholicism's rules on that matter, I'm annoyed by that too).

• Like 5

It does seem a case of taking flimsy evidence and flawed logic and accepting it because one very much wants to accept it. One wonders if this is genuine.

Very interesting... I didn't realize the book of Mormon was so complicated... still conjecture though. However, I will say it is much more believable than scientology.

• Like 1

Wow, this is probably the most laziest attempt to convert people ever.

Did this person actually think that on a forum that's been here for years where these arguments were discussed many times, that by just putting a video repeating such arguments would just make people "believe" all of a sudden?

It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

Did this person actually think that on a forum that's been here for years where these arguments were discussed many times, that by just putting a video repeating such arguments would just make people "believe" all of a sudden?

It's ridiculous.

There's a huge difference, sir.

Those arguments never had a cute baby in it.

You could also use puppies, good strategy.

• Like 2

Yea -- puppies and babies are also very good at selling toilet paper.

• Like 2

The book of mormon talks about horses, elephants and camals living here in america. It did this over one hundred years before science started finding fossals for these animals.

The book of mormon is not the book of the dead. It is a book of life. The book of mormon talks about leaders building hills so the people could see and hear them. These "hills" were still in use when cortez showed. Not in the dead mayan cities but in the living aztec cities.

The aztecs thought that cortez was christ returning as he had promise to do.

Oh give me strength. All the things you mention were well known when Joseph Smith wrote the book. Citing them as positive evidence is misleading at best. (Except the Aztecs did not think Cortez was Christ but one of their deities).

The book of mormon talks about horses, elephants and camals living here in america. It did this over one hundred years before science started finding fossals for these animals.

The book of mormon is not the book of the dead. It is a book of life. The book of mormon talks about leaders building hills so the people could see and hear them. These "hills" were still in use when cortez showed. Not in the dead mayan cities but in the living aztec cities.

The aztecs thought that cortez was christ returning as he had promise to do.

I never knew Jesus was a feathered serpent who could change his form.

Incidentally, Jesus? Neither fair sknned or fair haired.

I've seen pictures of the text Smith claims to have used, it's the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Smith was writing before Champoleaon translanted it.

• Like 1

Oh give me strength. All the things you mention were well known when Joseph Smith wrote the book. Citing them as positive evidence is misleading at best. (Except the Aztecs did not think Cortez was Christ but one of their deities).

Yes, one of their deities. The only white bearded one they had. Of course they didn't call him christ wrong language.

Funny the show I just watched yesterday said they had just varafied that camels had lived here and they started here. They werent collecting fossels in the 1830's. Thery didn't know what they were.

What about the whole "God punished Ham by making him black, therefore no black men allowed to be priests (before some time in the 70s)" business? Was that divinely inspired too?

Or the "lost tribe of Israel in America" bit? You know the one, the one that's been PROVEN to be cobblers courtesy of LDS sponsored DNA testing.

Or the "translating" the Egyptian Book of the Dead into the Book of Mormon via a magic hat.

Or how Smith died in a shootout after being broken out of prison, him being arrested for destroying a printing press because the owner of the press was printing stuff he didn't like.

Or the "God says polygamy is fine" "wait ... the government says we can't be part of America if we have polygamy so God changes his mind" stuff.

Or the rampaging sexual discrimination - Man will become as God, woman will have spirit babies for all eternity. Woman can't be priests (don't bring up Catholicism's rules on that matter, I'm annoyed by that too).;

Smith, wasn't broken out of jail. A mob swarmed the prison, in the process smith was killed.

There are many times in the bible when plural marriage was ok'd by god. Only later to have god say no to it. Usually, because those who were doing it were doing it wrong. I think brigam young went a tad over board at one time he had two hundred wives.

According to the bible you must treat your first wife the same no matter how many more wives you have.

I never knew Jesus was a feathered serpent who could change his form.

Incidentally, Jesus? Neither fair sknned or fair haired.

I've seen pictures of the text Smith claims to have used, it's the Egyptian Book of the Dead. Smith was writing before Champoleaon translanted it.

How did you see photos of anything. When there were no cameras at the time. If there was the only thing the two have in common is they are made of gold. Why gold it doesn't rust.

As for the so called magic hat. It was a pair of glasses, which is mentioned in the bible story of jason and the turtle ships. They provded light and navigation.

If you don't theink that glass can have a conection with a computer, I refer you to goggle glass.

Edited by danielost

I thought that archealogical evidence has shown that the Mormon account of certain US settling by Mormons is totally fictitious.

The Mormon "scripture" says that they "settled here at a specific location" and many other "locations" during Mormon developement.

Yet not a single one of those shows any evidence of that whatsoever, by archealogists. Not a single "ancient" Mormon dwelling.

This professional survey was done, I think, 10-15 years ago or perhaps earlier. Not sure.

In any event, there are so many "holes" in the Mormon accounts as to make one easily presume a totally fictitious religion.

Edited by pallidin

Pal. Your talking about the lamannights(spch) and nephites. They were not mormons. The book of mormon is named after the last prophet here in america, during the time period covered by the book. As for not being able to find their cities. I think we have. The nephites were the last group to occupy the mayan cities. We can't find the cities, is because they forgot to put up you are entering ------ the names that we use for their cities are our names not theirs.

It's ridiculous.

I agree with you.. I also would not be a bit surprised if the person who make the thread was one who has had plenty of ID's ..

• Like 1

I thought that archealogical evidence has shown that the Mormon account of certain US settling by Mormons is totally fictitious.

The Mormon "scripture" says that they "settled here at a specific location" and many other "locations" during Mormon developement.

Yet not a single one of those shows any evidence of that whatsoever, by archealogists. Not a single "ancient" Mormon dwelling.

This professional survey was done, I think, 10-15 years ago or perhaps earlier. Not sure.

In any event, there are so many "holes" in the Mormon accounts as to make one easily presume a totally fictitious religion.

One of my cousins in a "jack" (lapsed) Mormon, and I learned long ago not to argue with him about his religion-of-origin. I studied the Book of Mormon on my own for a bit, then with two Mormon missionaries for several hour-long sessions. I also read two sympathetic biographies of "The Prophet." Once one commits him or herself to this religious ideology and alternative history, one becomes a "true believer" (Eric Fromm) and develops an unassailable faith---impenetrable to reason and common sense. This is true of many religious enterprises.

Many anthropologists of religion agree that Mormonism has all the hallmarks of an invented religion. Several religious movements began in America in the early- to-mid- 1800's, including the Second Great Awakening, Seventh Day Adventism and spiritualism (the Fox sisters near Rochester, NY). Joseph Smith seems to have been an entrepreneur who capitalized on the roiling religious ferment of his times, and simply "created" (made-up) a new religion as a going concern. People bought it.

Coincidentally, I saw a new book in the library last week entitled Create Your Own Religion. Joe Smith is cited more than once.

Edited by szentgyorgy

How did you see photos of anything. When there were no cameras at the time. If there was the only thing the two have in common is they are made of gold. Why gold it doesn't rust.

And yet ... when asked "is this the document used" Smith and/or Bringham Young pointed to the Book of the Dead saying "yes, that's the one, it's existed since ancient times but only through God's guidance can we read it today". Incidentally, photographs DID exist back in Smith's day. It's how we have pictures of Billy, the kid or Geronimo.

If you don't theink that glass can have a conection with a computer, I refer you to goggle glass.

I don't need a scientific explanation for something I accept as being divinely inspired. Why do you?

Didn't the Mayans and the Aztecs perform tens of thousands of human sacrifices to their Gods on these "hills"? I don't recall seeing that in any religious writings.

• Like 2

Smith, wasn't broken out of jail. A mob swarmed the prison, in the process smith was killed. There are many times in the bible when plural marriage was ok'd by god. Only later to have god say no to it. Usually, because those who were doing it were doing it wrong. I think brigam young went a tad over board at one time he had two hundred wives. According to the bible you must treat your first wife the same no matter how many more wives you have.

God never ok'd multiple wives for one man. Man did it and God told about it; but God never directed a man in the Bible to take another 2nd, 3rd, 4th wife when he already had one. It always brought grief and discord.

According to the Mormons, Jesus came to earth as Adam. If Jesus can get enough children Jesus can get His own world, (or planet), which necessitates multiple wives. What hog wash.

The Bible also says the invisible things of the spirit of God are made clear by the physical things that are made. Jesus is "living water."

The Mormons stopped in Utah because they saw this vast lake and said God had chosen this place for them. Turned out it was a great Salt Lake which means a dead sea. Based upon the physical thing there is no "living water" in that religion.

Thanks for the spirited discussion, all, but nobody here is engaging the points I made, much less refuting them.

So can any of you refute the actual claims and explain the evidence offered in the video? I'm not sure some of you watched it, or you would see the irony that your comments create in light of 17:59-18:22. But hey, if you're not open to examining and evaluating these materials, no hard feelings. Have a great day!