Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Meditation and mindfulness is promoted by celebrities including Gwyneth Paltrow and Russell Brand, who boast of its power to help people put stress out of their minds and live for the moment.

But the treatment can itself trigger mania, depression, hallucinations and psychosis, psychological studies in the UK and US have found.

http://www.dailymail...ook-claims.html

• Like 2

I find this very interesting not least because I recently read that those who play virtual games, i.e. spend a lot of time navigating imaginary worlds, damage the hippocampus so that it no longer functions efficiently. The centre that determines whether we become depressed or not is right up against the hippocampus(in the brain).

• Like 2

One research item on the negative effects of meditation amid a vast myrid of research studies on the good effect of meditation. OK. Meditation must surely be interfering with some specific mediacation sales. You know that snake oil Big Pharms don't want you cutting into their vast quantity of profits.

I find this very interesting not least because I recently read that those who play virtual games, i.e. spend a lot of time navigating imaginary worlds, damage the hippocampus so that it no longer functions efficiently. The centre that determines whether we become depressed or not is right up against the hippocampus(in the brain).

There is research out there that shows the good effect of game playing. I keep up with this because my son is a gamer and he has a large amount of empathy for others.

Edited by regeneratia
  • Like 3

I find it amusing that the artical is based on prisoners who, um, well, they're in prison, obviously for some kind of wrong doing... I personally do not deny the fact that there can be negative effects to meditation because you are essentially opening yourself up and viewing the real essenses of yourself, the good, and the bad.. yes there can be negative things there.. But to call it Harmful to the mind is a crock of ****.. Especially considering the subjects this study we based on, background, ect...

If one can't face their own truths they shouldn't meditate.. and to call a negative experience harmful to the mind is a cop out IMHO..

The British study involved measuring effect of yoga and meditation on prisoners, and its findings were published yesterday in the psychologists’ book, The Buddha Pill: Can Meditation Change You?.

Inmates at seven prisons in the Midlands took 90-minute classes once a week and completed tests to measure their higher cognitive functions in a ten week randomized control trial.

The prisoners’ moods improved, and their stress and psychological distress reduced - but they were found to be just as aggressive before the mindfulness techniques.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Considering meditation is an inherently internal exercise, I would imagine that a person's willingness to observe themselves and their past would factor in to how they respond to it. Inmates, especially violent ones, could always react badly to meditation since their pasts are clearly full of wrongdoing and hardship.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

What is there in existence that can only be good? Meditation is not immune to the laws of the cosmos. It will have its traps.

That being said, this study shouldn't be taken too seriously; if at all. Mindfullness meditation still beats doing antidepressants, or drinking, or some other poison of that nature. Those that go off the deep via meditation were already on the edge going in.

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

This article is not wrong, it's just being an a**hole.

By that I mean that I agree that meditation can be harmful if done "wrong". In many cases when looking into yourself it's surprisingly easy to find negative details, while sometimes it can feel like you don't deserve to notice the positive things (Could be a Finnish thing... we don't like giving ourselves praise...). If you don't have someone there to guide you, I can imagine it would be easy to fall into a spiral. I for one would definitely have needed someone to guide me when I started meditating (I was around 15 years I think and was inspired by jedi in star wars... go figure...). Would have been nice if someone had warned me that you might see some things you don't like, but it's just one side of the coin. Later on I got involved with martial arts, and trough that I've done taichi and qigong which has helped me a lot to get a balance in my internal stuff.

But yeah, I agree with the fact that the article seems kinda... well... like it's trying to say meditation is bad :/

• 3 weeks later...

It's something to be aware of. Meditation can be dangerous in some cases. Even the Jewish Mystics warned of people losing their mind during meditation if they did it wrong.

I was also told by my martial arts instructor of a student who found some book on Dao-ist meditation, and he was warned to not try the advanced stuff without the proper understanding... apparently the student and his girlfriend were both doing it and the girlfriend always accompanied him to the class.... but the girlfriend suddenly stopped showing up and when asked about her the student admitted that they were doing the Dao-ist meditations and she lost her mind and was put in a mental hospital. Now that's only a word of mouth story, but I have no reason to doubt my instructors word on it.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Meditation and mindfulness is promoted by celebrities including Gwyneth Paltrow and Russell Brand, who boast of its power to help people put stress out of their minds and live for the moment.

But the treatment can itself trigger mania, depression, hallucinations and psychosis...

Anything is possible since "meditation" is a prelude to possession (or "channelling," politely speaking). Certain groups do not hide this fact, but possession is not necessarily a negative situation. One should also keep in mind that the Holy Spirit possesses people, too. Alas, it all depends on the possessor, and the meditator's sincere, initial or deepest intention. Definitely, one will eventually realize one's sincere intention, sooner or later. After all, meditation is not for the faint-hearted. There is a big difference between mere relaxation, sleeping, daydreaming, and meditation.

Here's an old saying: "A god doesn't give you what you can't handled." Sounds scary, or pleasant? It depends on one's state of mind, or earthly reality. It also implies achievement levels -- neverending process, perhaps??

Another: "Spirituality (of the 'spirit,' not mere reading texts) doesn't start until the 'Kundalini' awakens," so great masters say. Is it really an awakened "Kundalini," or simply a form of possession?

Just things to think about.

• Like 1

meditation really seems interesting to me. the sites i have found all seem to be over my head for a new learner. anyone have a site that seems suited to beginning to explore the subject.

Some things are not black and white and you cannot just describe with a word good or bad. Many reasons have to take into consideration :

- how does these people meditate ? Did they meditate correctly ?

- how long ? Are they the kind of people who can sit in a place without moving, can they support the total silence?

Use the right medication for the right desease

meditation really seems interesting to me. the sites i have found all seem to be over my head for a new learner. anyone have a site that seems suited to beginning to explore the subject.

Whats your culture and relgion?

Raised Southern Baptist, but i learned better when i got a bit older. :clap: I dont honestly subscribe to any religion. Im in the Southeastern USA North Carolina.

Here's an old saying: "A god doesn't give you what you can't handled."

Yeah...and it's not true. There are lots of things that people can't handle. And lots of people every day who die from them.

• Like 3

Here's an old saying: "A god doesn't give you what you can't handled."

Yeah...and it's not true. There are lots of things that people can't handle. And lots of people every day who die from them.

HA HA HA! Yes, ive heard many such bs statements from other churchgoers. Many are convinced they can be found in the Bible, uhh sorry just a couple may be found. Anyways as soon as i began to see how religion worked, it was on its way out. Hate and intolerance are taught more than anything by it.

• Like 1

My parents were protestants but not strict. They believed religion should be a private affair. Started meditating after me and my girlfriend split up. I'm closer to gnosticism than catholic meditation and buddhist. I like it that gnosticism is christianity coz its closer to my euro culture comparing to buddha and hindus. Its important to me. I read the holy bible and it has large amount of gnostic teachings in the new testiment. Im ready to find my gnostic illuminated master someone I can trust...........................................................................................................................................................

• Like 1

I suppose too much of almost anything can be harmful, even meditation. There are meditative techniques that are indeed to be avoided, but the standard breathing meditation of most Buddhism is fine for maybe twenty minutes a day -- although it may be a waste of time and only give relaxation a good nap would give better. The serious forms of meditation, such as mindful meditation, might do some harm, but they also are good for getting a grip on things. Best to get oneself informed before going off on such ventures -- and not just from breathless endorsers. And don't try to hypnotize yourself.

• Like 2

But the treatment can itself trigger mania, depression, hallucinations and psychosis, psychological studies in the UK and US have found.

http://www.dailymail...ook-claims.html

So that's what's wrong with me. :D seriously. That's what modern psycology calls everything that it doesn't understand.

Had a bad dream? You exoerienced a psycotic episode.

Had a sleep pralysis expereince? You had a mild psycotic break.

Kid dosnt like school? He is add and bilolar.

Feeling run down becuse of unnatural work habits and relationship issues? Here is an MOA inhibitor with some benzopeens to zombify your day.

Years ago I went to a psycitrist because my very active mind would not let me go to sleep. The psyco gave me quitapene an antipsychotic!!! With potentially severe life altering side effects. I did nkt even purchase any. You know what I use now if I really need it. Ca poppy extract. If I need something more powerful....... Childrens Benadryl. Works great on long flights too.

Meditation has helped millions of people and has volunes of peer reviewed research behind it.

It's something to be aware of. Meditation can be dangerous in some cases. Even the Jewish Mystics warned of people losing their mind during meditation if they did it wrong.

I was also told by my martial arts instructor of a student who found some book on Dao-ist meditation, and he was warned to not try the advanced stuff without the proper understanding... apparently the student and his girlfriend were both doing it and the girlfriend always accompanied him to the class.... but the girlfriend suddenly stopped showing up and when asked about her the student admitted that they were doing the Dao-ist meditations and she lost her mind and was put in a mental hospital. Now that's only a word of mouth story, but I have no reason to doubt my instructors word on it.

These may not be uncommon, especially since you can get the meditation books from amazon and other internet stores and try it without any teacher. I've read the reviews of the most popular books and a few books on it, and there's at least one well-known author I won't name who, according to reviews, doesn't give any warnings in his book, even though he teaches semi-advanced stuff. I think they all have the compulsory disclaimers like "reading and doing this may damage your health blablabla", but I don't know if everyone has appropriate warnings in place.

I'm a beginner but I've read you shouldn't try the microcosmic orbit (governing and conception vessel circuit) without reading the precautionary stuff from somewhere, or having a teacher who knows their thing.

Yang Jwing-Ming gives good precautionary in his "Root of Chinese Qigong" book, ment for beginners, and Kenneth Cohen has a precautionary section in his Qigong book. Might wanna check them in your local library if you're new and without a teacher, or even if you have a teacher but not sure if your teacher is the responsible sort.

Qigong is moving meditation mostly, except in more advanced levels where you don't have to move your body since your consciousness has become more powerful and can open the pathways without bodily stimulus. If you try to meditate still, perhaps the biggest dangers are a malfunctional sitting/standing position, malfunctional breathing, and acquiring numbness. They're interrelated. You should consult a qigong/meditation/yoga etc practitioner or read a book about it before you try, so you get more benefit out of it. If you don't have a practitioner to consult, get a mirror, whole-body size preferrably, so you can check for your postural flaws and correct them yourself. I live in forest so naturally I don't have a whole body mirror, but my gym they have, so you can get inventive.

Edited by Mikko-kun
  • Like 1

These may not be uncommon, especially since you can get the meditation books from amazon and other internet stores and try it without any teacher. I've read the reviews of the most popular books and a few books on it, and there's at least one well-known author I won't name who, according to reviews, doesn't give any warnings in his book, even though he teaches semi-advanced stuff. I think they all have the compulsory disclaimers like "reading and doing this may damage your health blablabla", but I don't know if everyone has appropriate warnings in place.

I'm a beginner but I've read you shouldn't try the microcosmic orbit (governing and conception vessel circuit) without reading the precautionary stuff from somewhere, or having a teacher who knows their thing.

Yang Jwing-Ming gives good precautionary in his "Root of Chinese Qigong" book, ment for beginners, and Kenneth Cohen has a precautionary section in his Qigong book. Might wanna check them in your local library if you're new and without a teacher, or even if you have a teacher but not sure if your teacher is the responsible sort.

Qigong is moving meditation mostly, except in more advanced levels where you don't have to move your body since your consciousness has become more powerful and can open the pathways without bodily stimulus. If you try to meditate still, perhaps the biggest dangers are a malfunctional sitting/standing position, malfunctional breathing, and acquiring numbness. They're interrelated. You should consult a qigong/meditation/yoga etc practitioner or read a book about it before you try, so you get more benefit out of it. If you don't have a practitioner to consult, get a mirror, whole-body size preferrably, so you can check for your postural flaws and correct them yourself. I live in forest so naturally I don't have a whole body mirror, but my gym they have, so you can get inventive.

Nice mikko double coincidentally I will be learning the Shuang Yang Pei Ho Rou Rouan Chien (Sun Frost White Crane Soft Art) qigong in Thailand for three weeks at a retreat.

• Like 1

I think what happens to some people is that they open themselves through meditation and they cannot handle the internal imagery that comes with it. Our brains are fickl and it takes some follow through and dedication to try and master them.

• Like 1

Dr. Andrew Newburg's study suggests that prayer and meditation have very similar (mostly beneficial) effects. If meditating too hard can cause damage, can praying too hard create the same problems?

So that's what's wrong with me. :D seriously. That's what modern psycology calls everything that it doesn't understand.

Had a bad dream? You exoerienced a psycotic episode.

Had a sleep pralysis expereince? You had a mild psycotic break.

Kid dosnt like school? He is add and bilolar.

Feeling run down becuse of unnatural work habits and relationship issues? Here is an MOA inhibitor with some benzopeens to zombify your day.

Years ago I went to a psycitrist because my very active mind would not let me go to sleep. The psyco gave me quitapene an antipsychotic!!! With potentially severe life altering side effects. I did nkt even purchase any. You know what I use now if I really need it. Ca poppy extract. If I need something more powerful....... Childrens Benadryl. Works great on long flights too.

Meditation has helped millions of people and has volunes of peer reviewed research behind it.

Personally, I think it's rather common place to go through a period in the process of maturing and it can include learning to quiet the mind, my trigger used to be stressing/obsessing over not getting enough sleep, Quite frequently, in conversation friends will say in some circumstances they can't quiet their mind, they over analyze things, they obsess, which can affect sleep. For me, a few lessons in mediation and taking up running helped me in my early 20s, get a grip on this and I no longer have issues working through these times.

I don't formally sit round meditating though--&it's just not for me, but I have found yoga takes incredible focus and is a daily excercise in quieting the mind, to me it gives the same benefits, so does riding in the car by myself, this is my mediation, or hiking works wonders too. For my middle son it wasn't so cut and dry, after a major traumatic event of getting hit by a car on his bike and being in a coma for 11 days, it affected his life mentally to a degree he was struggling to function, therapy, in conjunction with physical excercise, and medication for a year did the job for him. In therapy, he learned skills to help himself, how to get back up, no matter what life brings, they are new habits we cultivate and nurture replacing the old ones, or just getting skills in the first place, in essence life coping skills.

I can appreciate the darker side of therapy, it definelty exists, and it sounds as of you had a horrible experience, which can and does jade a person, but it led you to seek other ways that worked better for you, and I'm glad you found them, but it doesn't rule out that therapy and medication can work for others.

Of course, if things like a kid who doesn't like school,is being diagnosed with ADD, of course this is ridiculous, or sleep paralysis means your psychotic, that to is nonsense, and it is a good thing to raise awareness. I do think it's important to know how to pick a good therapist.

Edited by Sherapy

At first, memorization is best. Thing is, some groups value the guru/student relationship, and the transmission of knowledge is through energy. A psychic, metaphysical way of learning. Other techniques emphasize the importance of the Chakra System to retain knowledge...

Have you read the Autobiography of Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda? Have you taken Hatha Yoga? The ashram is a good place to connect with other students -- one thing leads to another, as in group learning. So, metaphysical bookstores are fair game to further your studies.

YouTube has Christian mysticism and meditation videos, as well. Fr. Richard Rohr is a well-spoken mystic/Franciscan priest. I've also seen videos and articles by Father Peter Bowes. Write to these people, and ask them about meditation. Apparently, they are god's servants...

Celtic Meditation, Ancestor Meditation, non-Christian meditation techniques are online, as well.

Don't let the lingoes bog you down. Keep doing your watching, reading, and research. The power of your consciousness to memorize them will suprise you. Finding out if the words really mean what they indicate is another story; therefore, sooner or later, you have to decide on a meditation technique.

• Like 4