Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Thracian temple, of Zeus and Hera found

kannin

Archaeologists in Bulgaria have found a Thracian temple and a sanctuary of Zeus and Hera in Sredna Gora in the central part of the country.

The discovery was made at a dig in the Kozi Gramadi region near the village of Starosel in the Hissarya municipality by a team of archaeologists from the National History Museum led by Associate Professor Ivan Hristov, National History Museum director Bozhidar Dimitrov told Bulgarian media on July 22 2013.

http://sofiaglobe.com/2013/07/22/archaeology-thracian-temple-sanctuary-of-zeus-and-hera-found-in-bulgarias-sredna-gora/

• Like 1

A few pics of the site would have been nice - not slamming you kannin... The article only had pics of a shovel (!) and a quick internet search only revealed a single photo of a pillar/column....

Thanks for posting though... That period of history was always a favorite of mine...

mine as well and yeah sorry i did try to find more pics, but turned up the same results as you did, but i still thought it a good enough post for viewing :) ill try to update this post seeing as though im sure there will be pics of the site eventually

Thrace,...Spartacus was Thracian. He was one bad-a$$ mofo, they say.

Pretty OT, nice find of the temple though.

Thrace,...Spartacus was Thracian. He was one bad-a$$ mofo, they say.

Pretty OT, nice find of the temple though.

indeed i was excited when i saw the article and knew i had to post it here

im trying to find pictures now

There won't be pictures perhaps save a few artifacts from the Iron age if we are lucky.

From the article in the OP:

The sanctuary of Zeus and Hera is believed to have been destroyed in the fifth century CE to enable Christians to build a nearby small single-nave church.

The sanctuary was most likely destroyed. Wish the earlier Christians were not so hell bent on destroying every other belief system...

There won't be pictures perhaps save a few artifacts from the Iron age if we are lucky.

From the article in the OP:

The sanctuary was most likely destroyed. Wish the earlier Christians were not so hell bent on destroying every other belief system...

i agree, so many beautiful structures and artifacts destroyed for a what was back then a "bully" religeon, its sad that alot of these wonderful things have been destroyed for similar purposes, makes me sick some times that we are only regretting it now

• Like 1

i agree, so many beautiful structures and artifacts destroyed for a what was back then a "bully" religeon, its sad that alot of these wonderful things have been destroyed for similar purposes, makes me sick some times that we are only regretting it now

Imagine were the world would be if science had a straight line of development and not the insane suppressive time of the dark ages restricting it, and if places like The Library of Alexandria would have been intact with all the knowledge from every corner of the world collected?

Imagine were the world would be if science had a straight line of development and not the insane suppressive time of the dark ages restricting it, and if places like The Library of Alexandria would have been intact with all the knowledge from every corner of the world collected?

oh i agree, i would pay any price just to be able to see what was in the library, imagine like you said the knowledge, the treasure, if only we could atleast locate were it was! we might still be able to find a little bit of what was destroyed even that would be an amazing find