Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Family Of Five Found Dead

docyabut2

I wonder if it was murder or suicide.

It had to have been poison, the pets were still alive so it couldn't have been gas.

• Like 1

This is heart wrenching. Yeah, I would agree poison and probably murder/suicide. I wonder if the neighbors on the other side of the duplex heard anything.

I wonder if they were Church goers?

• Like 1

That is odd. No external signs for the cause of death and the animals were alive. Article only says relatives found them around 8PM last night. Nothing on how or where they were found in the house. A poisoned dinner? That's very possible.

This article says that relatives spoke to the family that morning.

http://www.sltrib.co...-caron.html.csp

This one says they were all found in the parent's bedroom.

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/story/family-of-5-found-dead-inside-parents-bedroom/42328/vsOlyO646kewiYx88FoAaA

Edited by susieice

This one says they were all found in the parent's bedroom.

http://www.good4utah...46kewiYx88FoAaA

I remember a similar case not too long ago in Colorado. It was CO gas this time, though. Investigators surmised, they had all climbed into bed together thinking they were all coming down with something (flu?) and the kids got in bed with the parents.

Tragedy. It wasn't their house and caused by a defect in the heating system courtesy of the builders, I believe. So 4 easily avoidable deaths.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Guess we will have to wait for a coroner's report to find out what happened. Seems like poisoning. Could have been intentional or unintentional. Maybe the family had some huge financial devastation or some other deep dark secret or maybe someone gave them poisoned laced food. Or someone wasn't paying attention and put something toxic in the dinner. Lots of possibilities...kind of rattling...

• Like 2

I heard some discussion of this case on TV last night. Apparently it was a teenage son who found the family, then went immediately to his grandmother's to get help.

Some panelists on the show (including a criminologist type) felt the family being all in one room *could* indicate a suicide/murder rather than poisoning, since in a poisoning it would be more likely family members would be dispersed around the house. But the teenage son being left out of that kind of scenario seemed not to fit.... Some speculated the teenage son could be culpable, while others felt that seemed unlikely. A medical examiner type suggested they may have been doing some renovations and might have been overcome by fumes from paint or some other substance or new installation since there were doors opened as if the family was trying to get air. Not sure how that theory squares with pets being unaffected, or why the family would have stayed inside, though.

Any way you look at it, this is both puzzling and sad. By all accounts from friends and locals, they were a lovely family.

• Like 2

It seems there was a big screen tv in this bedroom, so perhaps they were in a habit of watching tv together in there. It still could be carbon monoxide according to the reports. The house's doors were open when the firefighters arrived. Apparently carbon monoxide is only slightly lighter than air, and would diffuse fairly evenly. I am no expert, but perhaps the oxygen at the lowest level where the cats were, in the other room, was high enough so they did not die. There are some strange quotes about the man from his employer. He was a bricklayer off and on. Employer said he was a good worker when he showed up but he often did not show up for days at a time. He had not worked for two weeks. Construction workers sometimes work when they want to, kind of day laborish. Also the children were homeschooled, not strange in itself, but it could indicate how isolated they were from their neighbors. The 18 yr old son found them. I am wondering if they started feeling ill at once and all retreated to this room to watch tv. It's always possible the father or parents did something..it's really not the time of year you have carbon monoxide poisoning from heaters and such. Maybe a car exhaust, wonder if they check to see if there was a car in the garage that had a key in the on position?

• Like 1

Why?

Cauz da Lawd works in mysterious ways.

Cauz da Lawd works in mysterious ways.

You're more obsessed with Christianity than most of the Christians I know. :P

• Like 3

That's kind of sad when you think about it.

To each his own, I always say. You'll forgive me if I don't give a flying pffft about Christianity, as long as you don't step on my toes? ;)

The article said it could have been CD or Radom and when the rest of the family arrived let the gas out by opening the doors, but that would `nt explained why the pets did not die to if gases is what it was that killed the parents and kids.

Edited by docyabut2

The article said it could have been CD or Radom and when the rest of the family arrived let the gas out by opening the doors, but that would `nt explained why the pets did not die to if gases is what it was that killed the parents and kids.

Minus the live pets, this wouldn't be half as puzzling. I would expect the pets to succumb to carbon monoxide or radon before adult humans, but that's just guessing based on size.

The case isn't getting much airtime on the news since the initial discovery (a lot going on what with ISIS, Ebola, security lapses at the WH, Hannah, etc.). Has anyone heard or read updates?

Minus the live pets, this wouldn't be half as puzzling. I would expect the pets to succumb to carbon monoxide or radon before adult humans, but that's just guessing based on size.

The case isn't getting much airtime on the news since the initial discovery (a lot going on what with ISIS, Ebola, security lapses at the WH, Hannah, etc.). Has anyone heard or read updates?

I didn't realize Radon caused instant death, but increased cancer risks. It seems possible that since the cats were in another room and close to the ground they never had a lethal dose of CO. I would be curious to know the distribution of the victims in the bedroom. Were some in chairs, on floor or all in a bed? You hear more about these things in the winter for CO poisonings. Wonder if everyone had been given sleeping pills? It's very strange all these younger people would die from even CO in the daytime.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Radon caused instant death, but increased cancer risks. It seems possible that since the cats were in another room and close to the ground they never had a lethal dose of CO. I would be curious to know the distribution of the victims in the bedroom. Were some in chairs, on floor or all in a bed? You hear more about these things in the winter for CO poisonings. Wonder if everyone had been given sleeping pills? It's very strange all these younger people would die from even CO in the daytime.

We can strike radon, I think. The cancer connection we all know about seems to be the only proven way it causes death (at least that I found on a quick search--did find a note that effects through exposure in food or water are unknown but half-life is relatively short).

If these folks were wide awake, either something hit them too hard and fast to call 911 for help or one of them wanted all of them to die. Or someone not present did.

• Like 1

Yeah, radon is not noted for instant death, but rather cancer. Carbon Dioxide (CO2) poisoning usually has symptoms like panicking, convulsions, rapid heartbeat and breathing- and it's a rare poisoning. Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning is the classic and far more common silent killer of the two. So it might depend on how the bodies were found, if they had symptoms of which poisoning. Considering that convulsions go along with CO2 and so far the news makes out that there was no noted violence, I think CO poisoning would be more likely between the two.

Oh, and just saying... CD isn't a chemical anything, there is no D element. Cd is cadmium, which is used commonly in electroplating- and can be very toxic. But unlikely to be randomly found in a home.

Now, it could be that these deaths were none of these poisonings. Until the autopsies come out, natural/accidental death or murder/suicide could both be considered.

• Like 2

A very strange series of deaths to be sure.

My understanding is that toxicological examination may shed some light on this bizarre, tragic event.

Wonder how soon the tox tests can be done, analyzed, and professionally interpreted. Fairly soon I would imagine.

R.I.P. to the victims.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear any more on this case ? Evidently it was suicide because news does`nt really report cases of suicides.

I wonder if they were Church goers?

First, 99.99% of "Church goers" will probably never even consider, much less commit, murder.

Second, for really "good" murderers seek out atheists like Hitler, Mao, Stalin. They were truly in a class by themselves. And although Hitler feigned some relationship to the church, his actions and his obsession with the occult suggest it was a matter of convenience to aid his political ambitions.

• Like 2