Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

waking up at 3am

Steff01

Does anyone else wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night? I get up at 3AM give or take 15 minutes every single night. I then have to get up to get water to fall back asleep. It's really annoying. 3am is a witching hour.really freaky.Any ideas?? What does it mean? :cry:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steff01

• Donnie  Darko

• doc_josh

• Shadesong

I see nothing weird about that. It could simply part of of the sleep/wake cycle.

Also it could indicate you are dehydrated if you are compelled to get water so you can get back to sleep.

By the way..there is no such thing as a "Witching Hour". That is mere superstition.

I think it means that you spent too many years sleeping on curlers.

I kidd, where do you gather that 3AM is the witching hour?I had never heard that before.

Edited by H I M

I think it means that you spent too many years sleeping on curlers.

I kidd, where do you gather that 3AM is the witching hour?I had never heard that before.

Many claims to people waking up around 3 in the morning is due to what is called Witching Hour. Unlike the Holy Hour, which is 3 PM, it is the time where demons will mess with you in a number of ways such as you waking up unexpectedly or something along those lines. It's the devil's play hour, if you will. I always experiencing this, so the best thing I did is to pray, read my Bible, and have strong faith

Seems to mean you're getting enough sleep, you lucky b******. <_<

In all likelihood, we have never slept so soundly. Yes, the length of a single night's sleep has decreased over the years (upward of 30 percent of adults average six or fewer hours), but the quality of our sleep has improved significantly. And quality, not quantity, sleep researchers tell us, is more important to feeling well rested.

Ny Times Article

I remember hearing about it in the movie about Emily Rose. I believe it was just made up though. Is it mentioned in The Bible? You might be dealing with anxiety. I had the same problem, actually still do. Don't stress over it.

Does anyone else wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night? I get up at 3AM give or take 15 minutes every single night. I then have to get up to get water to fall back asleep. It's really annoying. 3am is a witching hour.really freaky.Any ideas?? What does it mean? :cry:

I need to go to the toilet usually (It's my age).

There could really be any number of reasons for waking up like this. Anxiety, as mentioned above, is a likely culprit. Also, I seem to recall hearing or reading somewhere that our sleep cycle is supposed to be short or interrupted; if I'm able to find a source regarding this, I'll be sure to post it.

As for the witching hour theory - it's Hollywood... unless demons know to take Daylight Savings and time zones into consideration? I would hate to know that the harbinger of my death showed up to the party an hour early. :lol:

The "demons" in my house wake me about 4 or so, but that could be the time zone differences. ;)

Of course, I only sleep once or twice a week due to work and school, so one can't go by my experiences. :P

Most likely a "self programming" type thing in your sleep/wake cycle. The more you wake up at that time, the more your body is "set" to do so. No demons or witches...just your body being used to a routine...as annoying as it may be.

IMO, The more you believe in spirits the more suseptable you are for seeing (ghost) etc.. Sorta like the old phrase you look for the devil you will find him. If you awake at three AM consecutivly and think gosh my internal clock is messed up. Or think 3AM is witching hour every litle noise creek dog barking bus driving past is somthing ((un natural)) All speculative. Paranormal is somthing we dont understand and cannot really measure because everyone has a opinion and the field is so taboo that most reconized scientist will not touch it. Therfore at this point reasearch reasearch and lots of evidence needs to be captured to seriously take the 3AM waking's. Good Luck....

Ps.. If you find yourself in the middle of an ((attact)) it is presummed a crucifix candels are not the best choice for protection. devil.gif

There's also a great possibility like a previous user said that it's just dehydration, especially if you eat carbs before bed. I wake up constantly or just that reason because I refuse to give up my pride and joy before I hit the hay, haha wink2.gif

The only other thing I could think of is if something is disturbing your sleep, but I've only ever experienced a spirit related event twice so it may be unlikely unless Christmas came early this year tongue.gif

Wow! great answers...Thanks guys..I shouldn't worry about this..now I don't think it has any supernatural overtones, it's quite a common thing. :rolleyes: Thanks again..

I see nothing weird about that. It could simply part of of the sleep/wake cycle.

Also it could indicate you are dehydrated if you are compelled to get water so you can get back to sleep.

By the way..there is no such thing as a "Witching Hour". That is mere superstition.

As stated by more informed on here; the only superstitous part is calling it 'the witching hour' 3am is mentioned throughout the bible and is very real.

I was waking up at 3am a few days in a row (this is a few months ago, now) it was really strange! :unsure:

i use to wake up a 3 all the time weird as it may be i think its just sleep cycle

I don't think that it's anything weird. When I do sleep (I have insomnia) I always tend to wake up at 3 am. Never fails. I think it's just your internal clock (isn't that what you call it?) waking you up. Although it is kind of strange because I've heard a lot of stories of people waking up at 3am every night though. But still my best bet is that it's just your internal clock waking you up...

• 2 years later...

I wake up everytime at 3:15 am i can hear whispers next to my ear also see strange things i can see short visions and all kinds of things ....

I wake up everytime at 3:15 am i can hear whispers next to my ear also see strange things i can see short visions and all kinds of things ....

It's perfectly normal, your body seemed to have gotten used to the routine of waking up at 3. I usually wake up at 4 just to get up and wrap my covers around me.

• 2 weeks later...

Many claims to people waking up around 3 in the morning is due to what is called Witching Hour. Unlike the Holy Hour, which is 3 PM, it is the time where demons will mess with you in a number of ways such as you waking up unexpectedly or something along those lines. It's the devil's play hour, if you will. I always experiencing this, so the best thing I did is to pray, read my Bible, and have strong faith

I think a lot of people waking up around 3 a.m. has more to do with the body's circadian rhythm than the "witching hour." Our bodies are very good at measuring temporal intervals. Considering the liklihood that a lot of people sleep around a normal bedtime (say around 9pm-11pm) because of 9-5 jobs, it's not unusual to wake up around the same time every night. When I used to go to bed at a decent time, before I became a zombie college student who never sleeps, I would usually wake up around 4 am every morning and fall back to sleep until 8 am.

Friend had this same problem. Doctor said it was due to a drop in blood sugar related to liver function. Told her to eat a spoonful of peanut butter right before bedtime (something with protein, salt, fat and sugar). She's slept through the night ever since.

One night back around the summer of 2007 I woke up suddenly around 3 am. I felt a general atmosphere in my room of something not being right and maybe of not being alone. This went on for about 10 minutes when suddenly the silence is broken by my phone ringing. Now that really woke me up. It rang 3 times and stopped. The general feeling of weirdness continued and then about 15 minutes later the phone rings again with 3 rings. At that point I'm pretty much going WTF is going on tonight?!?! The feeling of strangeness in the air gradually subsided after that until I managed to fall asleep again around 4:45 am.

Now the place I lived in has had a reputation of being haunted but I've never seen anything myself,though we did once find a box of human ashes in the attic. Apparently it was the father of a former tenant who moved out and left it behind. I wound up giving them to the landlord to deal with. I did experience a few oddities in the past like my closet door opening of it's own accord and the bed being jostled like something was under it or something once,and I once had a bunch of loose change that was on my table all neatly lined up on my bathroom window sill once,ordered in piles of each denomination. Nothing strange has really happened here in about a year and I lived alone in the house.

I've heard of the 3 am time period being a peak time for strange occurances so maybe it was just "my turn" for this. Though I have been wondering who or what if anything would have been on the phone had I picked it up.

Edited by MOSUGOJI

This is a weird topic after what happened last night. Around 3:00AM I woke up and had to use the bathroom. I keep my cell phone on the night stand. They always power down when you aren't using them. As soon as I woke up and had to pee, it was dark in my room. Instantly the screen on my cellphone "woke up" and lit up without so much as a bump or a tap.

I have something similar. I worked nights for years and years (some week in winter I barely even saw sunlight!) and my sleep has never recovered, even 4 years after switching jobs and working days again. I usually get a burst of energy around the middle of the night and early morning :/

Hey I also wake up many times before 3am and notice strange things happening. And yes 3am is "witching hour" to some. The reason for it being worrysom is because its a way for demons to insult the sacrifice that Jesus did for us. Thats why they are so active during that time. If you ever wake up at 3 am don't be afraid, they feed and sense that. God is with you at all times and he'll gladly take your fear and absorb it for you if you let him.