Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Skylon spacecraft: 'Revolutionary' engine

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wouldn't they just inject oxygen or an oxy rich fuel? Kind of like switching your car to gas

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

Doesn't matter, the boys from Warehouse 13 are going  to be coming around pretty soon to take this technology into custody.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

nice!!!
im too slow in engines but its nice to read that they will cool down the engine without clogging it.. nice!!

#19    -M7

-M7

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 145 posts

• Open your mind to new ideas. There can be something else in play.

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:26 AM

Now all you'd have to do is figure out the whole light-speed, hyperspace, slip-space, and warp-speed thing.

#20    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

LoL -M7 ! Light speed and FTL  speeds are almost like the wet dream in all like minded tech-geeks ! THe Saber engine is only a slight step in the need for Speed !
We will indeed need a quantum Leap to get any where near 1/2 the speed of light ! Until then Keep Looking Up ! :tsu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#21    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,887 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 09 December 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

THe Saber engine is only a slight step in the need for Speed !

The Sabre engine isn't a step at all in the need for speed. It is a fairly large step in the direction of cheap and easy access to low Earth orbit. If it works it will open up LEO in the way that the Shuttle was supposed to do.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#22    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 09 December 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

The Sabre engine isn't a step at all in the need for speed. It is a fairly large step in the direction of cheap and easy access to low Earth orbit. If it works it will open up LEO in the way that the Shuttle was supposed to do.
You call it what you See it Waspie ! ITs a step in the right direction !

#23    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

When will these people learn how to fly...... into deep space, the way it should?

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#24    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,887 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostDBunker, on 02 January 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

When will these people learn how to fly...... into deep space, the way it should?

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, your post doesn't seem to make much sense, given the context of this thread. What do you mean "how it should?"

To repeat a point though, these engines are not for deep space, they are fore getting into orbit more cheaply and efficiently than any current rocket engine. They are air breathing, which means they are not suitable for deep space.

However any vehicle which is going to travel in deep space is going to need to get into orbit first.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#25    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,286 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 02 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

However any vehicle which is going to travel in deep space is going to need to get into orbit first.

That made me think of building vehicles in orbit, and... that would require something like a Beanstalk. I thought there were plans to build one, but I've not seen anything about it in a long time.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#26    DBunker

DBunker

Government Agent

• 3,485 posts

• I prefer to know, not just to believe.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 02 January 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here, your post doesn't seem to make much sense, given the context of this thread. What do you mean "how it should?"

To repeat a point though, these engines are not for deep space, they are fore getting into orbit more cheaply and efficiently than any current rocket engine. They are air breathing, which means they are not suitable for deep space.

I just wish that we could speed things up a little bit.

I wish I could be born (again) in like 500 years, just to see if we have invented something that would help getting our butts out there among the stars.

Now that communications technology has made it possible to give global reach to the bizarre and archive it forever, it is essential for men and women of reason resolutely to counter the delusions of the fringe element. James S. Robbins

#27    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,103 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:08 AM

Me Too DB ! I`ll call your 500 & raise it to 1,200 yrs ! Maybe by then we will be able to get on the internet and surf like It was intended to ! A thousand times faster than Light ! Ten we will Look back at the engines that can go warp speeds !
For once we can leave our solar system with ease. Well as easy as FTL travel can be ,afterall one must not fly through a planet of star you know ! It ruins your day ! :alien: :no: :tu:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users