Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Göbekli Tepe-10 000 BC

• Please log in to reply
297 replies to this topic

#211    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,519 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

He didnt? As I remember when I read Serpent in the sky I think that there I read that he was Egyptologist. Also right now Im on movie 2 of 8 serial Magical Egypt. I dont know did you wtach it but J.A. West has some interesting views and points.

You're going to have to do better than that L, since even on his own website he doesn't claim to be an Egyptologist.

http://www.jawest.com/

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#212    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

But that doesnt mean he cant have insights and profound ideas.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#213    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,519 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

View Postthe L, on 11 February 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

But that doesnt mean he cant have insights and profound ideas.

It does mean however that he buffaloed you into believing he was a qualified Egyptologist and therefore knew what he was talking about from that perspective. Doesn't feel good being lied to, does it?

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#214    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 11 February 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

It does mean however that he buffaloed you into believing he was a qualified Egyptologist and therefore knew what he was talking about from that perspective. Doesn't feel good being lied to, does it?

cormac

Ofcousre it doesnt. But his perspective never was as usual Egyptologist. And on some things he has point. Even if he is plumber. I like some of his ideas and insights. But maybe Im under impression of two hours listening of West. And his book. I listen to him in alive when he have lecture of cca hour. I will wait until I see all 8 parts and I will explore his raised questions then I will have final judgement on J.A.West.

Edited by the L, 11 February 2013 - 08:35 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#215    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 11 February 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

http://www.hindustan...le1-954601.aspx

Searcher, the writer had to take great liberties as to what constitutes a "civilization" to have made such a claim. The bold portion above was the beginning of what was to become the IVC and not the age of the civilization as a whole. The claim to pushing back the date of civilization here is about as meaningless as claiming the date of Nabta Playa means that the Egytian Civilization dates to c.9000 BC.

cormac

Thanks Cormac. The article does not seem too fleshed out and I cannot find an international conference of harrapan archaeology anywhere. I do feel this is not a good sign for the authenticity of the claim.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#216    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 11 February 2013 - 08:57 AM, said:

Could you source the recent finding about the indus Valley culture? I hadn't heard about this before, other then of fringe authors and they usually overshoot it by 10.000 years at least.

But your premise will only work, if you can establish a link between the two and if the indus valley civilization did indeed start earlier than 7000 B.C. So far it's only a "maybe" in my opinion.
Recent archaeological meet in India has announced that based on new archaeological finds the IVC was a very large spread and much older then previously thought....wikipedia gives a good amount of Info though the article is not complete. Also the L had started a thread on the same and had posted a few good articles if you want to go through them. Mind you the 7000 B.C. date is for the Indus valley 'Civilization'....individual settlements and cities would have gone further back in time. The geographical spread of the IVC had also been previously underestimated..new finds are suggesting a much bigger spread.

The link under is a well rounded article.

http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Origins

Edited by Harsh86_Patel, 12 February 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#217    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,722 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Mehrgarh, which is now considered to be a precussor to the IVC is dated to 7000 BCE to 5500BCE.

Edited by The_Spartan, 12 February 2013 - 11:43 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#218    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

The dates are of Mehrgarh when it was an already established city etc....the time the civilization started the journey is yet to be accounted for.

#219    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 12 February 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Thanks Cormac. The article does not seem too fleshed out and I cannot find an international conference of harrapan archaeology anywhere. I do feel this is not a good sign for the authenticity of the claim.
The article is small and not specific as it was published in a popular newspaper.

#220    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 12 February 2013 - 09:27 AM, said:

Recent archaeological meet in India has announced that based on new archaeological finds the IVC was a very large spread and much older then previously thought....wikipedia gives a good amount of Info though the article is not complete. Also the L had started a thread on the same and had posted a few good articles if you want to go through them. Mind you the 7000 B.C. date is for the Indus valley 'Civilization'....individual settlements and cities would have gone further back in time. The geographical spread of the IVC had also been previously underestimated..new finds are suggesting a much bigger spread.

The link under is a well rounded article.

http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Origins

Your link shows Mehrgarh to have been settled between 7,000 and 6,500 BC. The city in the Gulf of Khambhat is dated to 7,500 BC. The Harappan Civilization is dated to between 7000BC and 1900BC.
I do tend to discard the religious texts bit, as those are assumptions only, dixit the article itself. And it tends to go science fiction when it talks about Vimana etc.
I find the conclusion a tad too biased to be honest.

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 14 February 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

The article is small and not specific as it was published in a popular newspaper.

which is basically what I said earlier.......

Publilius Syrus.

#221    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostTheSearcher, on 14 February 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

Your link shows Mehrgarh to have been settled between 7,000 and 6,500 BC. The city in the Gulf of Khambhat is dated to 7,500 BC. The Harappan Civilization is dated to between 7000BC and 1900BC.
I do tend to discard the religious texts bit, as those are assumptions only, dixit the article itself. And it tends to go science fiction when it talks about Vimana etc.
I find the conclusion a tad too biased to be honest.

which is basically what I said earlier.......
Ya the later part of the link i posted does take a different tangent but the first half is pretty informative and reasonable.Even i am a not a big fan of religious ramblings....but sadly some of these reasonable theories often don't find space in mainstream articles.

#222    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

I tend to agree with Andis Kaulins, Göbekli Tepe is not dated right.The site could be of two merging cultures. I think if they dig around  more of Göbekli Tepe ,they may find Talayotic houses dated 3000 to 2000 bc.

http://lexiline.blog...laya-dates.html

#223    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

The inhabitants are assumed to have been hunters and gatherers who nevertheless lived in villages for at least part of the year?

http://en.wikipedia....i/Göbekli_Tepe

Do you really think that  hunters and gatherers just came there off and on to build these sites and then buried them? To me there had to be some living around there to accomplish such a great feat.

#224    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

• 3,845 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 14 February 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

Ya the later part of the link i posted does take a different tangent but the first half is pretty informative and reasonable.Even i am a not a big fan of religious ramblings....but sadly some of these reasonable theories often don't find space in mainstream articles.

Fair enough mate, I understand.

But even if the 7000BCdate is correct, it's still only the early beginnings of the civilization, so it couldn't have spread that far out. that kind of spreading would take a far more developed one.

Publilius Syrus.

#225    Everdred

Everdred

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:33 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 14 February 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

I tend to agree with Andis Kaulins, Göbekli Tepe is not dated right.The site could be of two merging cultures. I think if they dig around  more of Göbekli Tepe ,they may find Talayotic houses dated 3000 to 2000 bc.

http://lexiline.blog...laya-dates.html

His argument for dating doesn't seem to address the artifact assemblages associated with the site that place it right in the early Neolithic.

And why do you think they'll find Balearic culture in Mesopotamia?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users