Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

pit bulls tear into dogs, girl

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

A family is devastated after a pack of three pit bulls “ripped” apart one dog, severely injured another and sent one of their children to hospital.
Scott McDowell said his 13-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son were walking their dogs, a Pomeranian named Patrick and a Great Pyrenees named Max, in an off-leash dog park near Millican-Ogden outdoor swimming pool in southeast Calgary.
On Monday afternoon, they came across three pit bulls that were on leashes being handled by one man.
McDowell’s dogs approached the pit bulls when they were attacked.
“They (the pit bulls) went nuts,” McDowell said.

The owner of the pit bulls tried to get the dogs away, but couldn’t control all three, McDowell said.
“The owner of the other three dogs would pull one dog off, and maybe another, but he had to let them go to grab the third and they’d pounce back on,” he said....
The man walking the other three dogs, Stephen Jaquish, says he owns one of the pit bulls and was dog-sitting the other two.
He said it was horrible to watch the attack, and suggests his dogs were provoked.
http://www.vancouver...5333/story.html

Who in their right mind takes three dogs (never mind three of a known aggressive breed) to an off-leash dog park and expects to be able to control them?  And the dogs were provoked?  Can't take responsibility for your own stupidity?  Come on!  Why were they on leashes if they were such good dogs?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#2    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

View Postglorybebe, on 02 January 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

http://www.vancouver...5333/story.html

Who in their right mind takes three dogs (never mind three of a known aggressive breed) to an off-leash dog park and expects to be able to control them?  And the dogs were provoked?  Can't take responsibility for your own stupidity?  Come on!  Why were they on leashes if they were such good dogs?
That is horrible,but pitbulls are only aggressive,when trained to be so .
Since two of the dogs weren't even his,chances are good,they were trained to be this way .
Pitbulls are very very sweet dogs ,if raised in a happy loving home .
They get a bad rap ,because of bag people.
Think of a pitbull like a gun . Safe ,in the right hands .
The fact he didn't know two of these dogs well ,makes him a fool for taking them out all at once.
He's lucky if he doesn't lose his house car and whatever else he owns ,in the coming lawsuit .

Miss me?

#3    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 02 January 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Since two of the dogs weren't even his,chances are good,they were trained to be this way .
The fact he didn't know two of these dogs well ,makes him a fool for taking them out all at once.
He's lucky if he doesn't lose his house car and whatever else he owns ,in the coming lawsuit .

This is Canada, we are not sue crazy here.  Most people, as long as their vet bill is covered and the dogs are dealt with will let it go.  And yes, I ahve heard over and over that Pitts are 'sweet' animals.  From personal experience-wouldn't own one and wouldn't want one near my child or pet.

#4    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

I gotta agree. Thats not the way to handle pitbulls. Especially if your taking care of someone elses.

The injuries dont sound too bad though considering she stuck her hand into the dogfight.

#5    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostAsteroidX, on 02 January 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

I gotta agree. Thats not the way to handle pitbulls. Especially if your taking care of someone elses.

The injuries dont sound too bad though considering she stuck her hand into the dogfight.
But, she watched ehr two dogs savaged, one had to be put down.  She is only thirteen. Poor girl

#6    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I highly agree

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#7    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I dont disagree poor girl. But dogs can be dangerous. If shes tasking them to a dog park theres some basic safety that one should know.

Its not unsimiar to hunting. You know the Bear and Big Cats are out there so do you not prepare for the chance you meet up with one.

A simple can of pepper spray may have prevented this. And I guarentee if I had a 13 year year old daughter she would know how to use pepper spray.

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,148 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

I would of never assumed responsibility for someone else's dog at least not in a public area, might feed them while your gone on vacation.  Even in the more non aggressive breeds when it comes to other dogs that can change especially if its a male dog.

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,224 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I think they should put the guy in jail. What kind of fool takes two large dogs he doesn't know into a dog park.  Well bred socialized,  Pitt Bulls  can be fine dogs, but they have been bred to be dog aggressive. Anybody who knows about breeding dogs knows you can breed them for a purpose. Take beagles, they are bred for hunting rabbits. They hunt rabbits without even being trained to hunt. Some are good at it and some aren't.  Some dogs run the track back wards and you can try to train to run right way, but I have never seen it done. Pitts were bred  to fight other dogs.  You can bred that out of them, but you have to be really careful, because you will still get a fighter every so offend.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#10    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,697 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 January 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

I would of never assumed responsibility for someone else's dog at least not in a public area, might feed them while your gone on vacation.  Even in the more non aggressive breeds when it comes to other dogs that can change especially if its a male dog.
Yeah, again, IMO, taking three dogs out for walk, especially when two aren't yours is silly.  If he wasn't concerned, then why did he have leashes on all three when it was a leash- free park?

#11    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Sad story.    It was the little girls dogs who approached the pit bulls.  
I wouldn't mind seeing all pit bulls put to sleep.   They have a mean streak in them even when trained properly.   They can snap.   I've seen it a few times.   If you have a toddler at home you should not own a pit bull.   It's not safe.

#12    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,221 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:10 AM

Pitbulls have been bred to be dangerous.  They are powerful and vicious.  They don't really belong as pets in an area where other pets are abundant.

There are exceptions to this, but overall the dogs have been chosen and bred to be aggressive.

But, the real problem is with stupid dog owners, who feel their dog should be an extension of the 'personality' and want to portray a tough guy attitude.

#13    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,629 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:52 AM

Incidentally, I have a dog that's half German Shepard and half Pit Bull.  She's very tolerant to all animals we own(cats and other dogs), has never shown any kind of discomfort around humans of all ages(even when little kids run around her making a ruckus and getting close to her face while petting her), but absolutely hates intruder animals and will chase strange cats(and small dogs that would fit through the gate-gap in our old house) out of our yard to the death if she catches them.

#14    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

As much as I like you ...and I do...I VEHEMENTLY disagree!  Pit Bulls will chase down and kill anything that runs!  Regardless of how they are 'trained' or not.  Anything running is an invitation to chase it and kill it.  That is just the way their brains work.  You can train your PB to be sweet and obedient...and if the little girl next door starts running down the street...it will chase her and kill her!  It is just that simple.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#15    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

I personally don't like dogs in general, and this is just one of the many reasons why.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users